• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clone Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
What are you talking about? They might have been subitled only, but the genon releases of Cardcaptor sakura not cardcaptors was uncut, and they released it twice, once as singles, once as two boxsets. This might be the only time you get to hear an uncut dub, but not an uncut sub.

1. Can't you quote the part of his post you're actually replying to instead of the whole thing?

2. An uncut dub isn't automatically an improvement. Belvadeer was talking about a much better produced dub, one that doesn't trip all over itself to censor everything into lollipops and bunnies nonsense for little brats.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Every time I see Chuck on somebody's shelf, I squee a little bit on the inside.

People like you are the reason the show survived to the end!!! And Subway. And Toyota! But never forget you!

I became a massive fan of Chuck...and was always afraid when cancellation rumors would float around. Happy that it was given the chance to wrap up.

Quote:
I have to commend you for your taste in movies, as some of them are absolutely fantastic. More people need to watch 50/50. (I also like your manga shelves.)

Yeah, 50/50 was just a movie I randomly decided to watch...and fell in love with it. Being a straight male...I inexplicably went through a phase where I was chasing up a lot of Joseph Gordon-Levitt movies. Laughing

And, what has now become my manga shelf used to be packed with novels. As I've still got some room to maneuver things around due to my TV stand having space for my novels...the other shelf I have will be waiting a bit before manga volumes start being placed there.

belvadeer wrote:
Ali07, major kudos to you for having not one but two Mega Man X and three Zero figures apiece! I have the D-Arts X and Vile figures myself. Still need to find Zero for a fair price. Smile

My love for Zero outweighs my love for X. At the same time...I actually own doubles of the figures, as I want to display them in their boxes as well as having the ones out of boxes displayed. Embarassed

Also, I recently pre-ordered the S.H. Figuarts Mega Man Zero figurine...so that'd be the 4th Zero and 2nd Mega Man Zero version of the character in my collection. Laughing

Ah, and I HAVE to get around to getting the Cardcaptor Sakura series. I remember watching it as Cardcaptors on TV, and I only ever caught bits and pieces of the series. But, I may wait awhile. First would be to see if someone grabs the license for the 2nd movie, if something is an older and completed work, I'll wait until it is all available before purchasing. Second would be to see if Madman does a re-release of the series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
My love for Zero outweighs my love for X. At the same time...I actually own doubles of the figures, as I want to display them in their boxes as well as having the ones out of boxes displayed. :oops:

Also, I recently pre-ordered the S.H. Figuarts Mega Man Zero figurine...so that'd be the 4th Zero and 2nd Mega Man Zero version of the character in my collection. :lol:

So I take it you had Zero primarily on your team in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and loved it when he showed up in Project X Zone? :D

Hot dang, you're good. I have to find a D-Arts Zero figure too! At least just one. XD
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
I liked Railgun season 1 but hated season 2 because of the over adapted Sisters arc where Mikoto's not even the main hero. Problems, beside the main one:

1 The cast of Railgun is sidelined in its own series which further prompts its own problems such as Judgment neither knowing or being involved in something they should know about or be involved in and that's just from literally looking at Mikoto clones. "Railgun spotted both here and there at the same time." No, happens for the main character... of Index... and logically for only the audience's sake {because it's also clearly said the clones were to be let out one at a time. Using them as a cleaning crew for that one time...} but the actual policing agency of Academy City? Not worthy. Well, actually can't happen because it didn't happen {see 5}.

2 Random new powers for Railgun involving... magnetism. Yes, I'm well aware of the inverse relationship between electricity and magnetism but I'm also aware that not all metals are magnetic.

3 Using the new powers in... where does this set end at? Where Mikoto fights AIM {No, that's Marvel. Got to look it up: ITEM. Huh. A lot different than I thought} ITEM? In the metallic sewers allowing for wall sticking? With the flips and kicks and electric... web slinging? Yeah, I got into an argument in the forum, with the reviewer Key no less, about how they lengthened the series adaptation and fights by outright stealing from Marvel Comics, particularly that Spidery Guy, Magneto.

4 Mikoto's roommate Kuroko being completely in the dark about Mikoto's nightly... nightlife because a teleporting stalker will totally respect your privacy.

5 The whole new Sisters arc plays out more like a time travel story with the main characters swapped out. Nothing can actually change but a lot of time will be wasted.

It's obvious which story came first and my first positive impression of the franchise came from the Sisters storyline but it's also clear that they tried to ram that story in this revamped scenario.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Magnetism is a random new power? You do know how a railgun works right? And she doesn't use magnetism on anything that suspicious really... can't recall anything off hand that definitely couldn't work.

As for your first complaint, you're kind of wrong. The cast is really Mikoto. Saten and Uiharu were important in the first arc sure, but they also aren't really important in the 3rd arc. Kuroko has a marginally larger role so she probably was sidelined extra for this arc, but not by much. The only real main character is Mikoto. The anime just plays a trick on everyone with all the SoL moments they add in.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
I sincerely wish that I could afford the CCS BD set. I fear that by the time that I'll have enough money to buy it that it'll be completely sold out. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed though!

I never got round to the girls in Senran Kagura revealing their backstories. I gave up after watching two or three episodes, because I thought that it was awful. But hurrah for the new category, Mildly Entertaining Booby Show Laughing

Also had no idea that there was a Love Live! game. I'll definitely be looking that up.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
I almost wish I would make myself get the CCS set but I already have all the old Geneon singles. Cost a fortune back in the day, ha.

Anyone who likes CCS really needs to watch Akazukin Chacha.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
I really liked the Sister's arc. They could center multiple series around that one device, there's so much storytelling potential.
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
As far as the A Certain Magical Index franchise goes, I'm in the camp that vastly prefers A Certain Scientific Railgun, largely because I love Mikoto, and I love the more streamlined narrative focus that the series has.

And I here I come as the Index fan with an obligatory defense of the anime...just kidding. Laughing

Actually, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun is by far a better anime adaption of its source material than Index is for a bunch of good reasons. The Sisters Arc animated in Railgun S is probably the best animated portion of the entire franchise. I hope that the team that animated Railgun S this time around stay for the hypothetical Index III.

@Animegomaniac
Railgun automatically becomes a worse story if you take it as a stand alone series. Mikoto is still the main hero but is the one who gets saved this time around. Ultimately, the Sisters Arc concerns 4 main parties: Mikoto, the Sisters, Accelerator and Touma and is pretty much tied to key character development for ALL of them. Index covers the character development for Accelerator and Touma. Railgun focuses on the character development for Mikoto and the Sisters. But even in the manga, the whole point of the story was to link up with the Index light novels.

Really, ignoring the last 4 points which merely come across as pet peeves, your first point shows that you misunderstand the franchise completely. And it isn't Judgment's job to handle this sort of problem. This is more Anti-Skill's territory and despite what Railgun implies, they don't work together on cases like this. And of course Anti-Skill is kept out of the dark due to control of information on the experiment. They may have acted if the rumours became more widespread but we'll never know. As for why the Sisters start to appear more frequently in groups, if you treat the Sisters Arc alone as the be all end all of the story, you'll never be able to glean the bigger story that is going on.

@ajr
There is a lot more to be told about the Sisters on both the Index side and the Railgun side. Its basically THE key event of the Science side. And as I said earlier, it is the key trigger for important character devlopment for all involved parties. And surprisingly, especially for Touma.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
I hope Bamboo gets to do a Shelf Life review for the second half of the Railgun S so we can hear her conclusions about the Sisters Arc in Mikoto's POV. The biggest peeve a lot of peeps have which unfortunately made them drop the series was Touma once again "hijacking" the plot. I, for one, knew it was inevitable because of its story in Index so it doesn't bother me as much, and the anime does it's best in keeping it about Mikoto in her POV.

I just hope that in future original arcs in the Railgun manga that may get adapted into an anime that Touma doesn't get involved and hijack the plot to once again "save Mikoto" because that would be the point I could see eye to eye those other peeps had with the Sisters Arc.

Right, manga readers?! Anime exclamation
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
My love for Zero outweighs my love for X. At the same time...I actually own doubles of the figures, as I want to display them in their boxes as well as having the ones out of boxes displayed. Embarassed

Also, I recently pre-ordered the S.H. Figuarts Mega Man Zero figurine...so that'd be the 4th Zero and 2nd Mega Man Zero version of the character in my collection. Laughing

So I take it you had Zero primarily on your team in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and loved it when he showed up in Project X Zone? Very Happy

Hot dang, you're good. I have to find a D-Arts Zero figure too! At least just one. Anime hyper

He's the only reason to own those games. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
He's the only reason to own those games. Wink

Zero's always had this cool aura to him, but X will continue to be my favorite. Heck, the chapter everyone waited so eagerly for in PXZ was 20, because X shows up after such a long absence. Zero's had more appearances so he was just costarring. It's time for X to take the lead (and I'm happy he's going to be in the upcoming Smash, even if it's only in Mega Man's Final Smash). ;D
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
(I didn't check my old Pioneer set to recall what they did... maybe it's the same and I'm senile.)
They never used Xiolang or any honorifics.

for the subtitles for the geneon version? actually they did. espeically during the movies and i have the geneon versions considering how god awful Nelvana ruined the english dub. though the animax version isn't THAT bad, its definitely mediocre and at times unwatchable which is expected from an Animax Asia english dub. and the price is a definitely nail in coffin to be given the rental or perishable. at least until that insane price goes down. the series definitely would have been better off if it got licensed by Viz Media and had some of the SM english dub cast.

Also definitely not surprised that railgun S got the shelf worthy considering that the sisters arc is the most popular arc for both railgun and index. though most didn't liked it cause touma was in retrospect the main hero and not misaka. also while the whole dark tone and getting more into academy city's dark side was a breath of fresh air over the whole slice of life aspect, it didn't sit well with others. especially considering how close misaka came to a virtual meltdown or even going down the same dark path as Kiyama and/or even Terrastina Kihara (Lifeline's) hatred of the city.

though i am more surprised that the writer give senran kagura its own title when everyone who isnt an uber fanservice junkie was gonna give it the auto perishable. sure its no highschool dxd or strike witches or queens blade, but its still a decent ecchi / fanservice series. at least its not in the same level as nights of ramunes.

Zalis116 wrote:
Thought Senran Kagura might end up lower, but I'm guessing the lack of a wish-fulfillment male lead whom all the ninja girls are trying to please helped save it from the Perishable bin.

doubt it. it definitely had warrants to keep it from there.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope Bamboo gets to do a Shelf Life review for the second half of the Railgun S so we can hear her conclusions about the Sisters Arc in Mikoto's POV. The biggest peeve a lot of peeps have which unfortunately made them drop the series was Touma once again "hijacking" the plot. I, for one, knew it was inevitable because of its story in Index so it doesn't bother me as much, and the anime does it's best in keeping it about Mikoto in her POV.

I just hope that in future original arcs in the Railgun manga that may get adapted into an anime that Touma doesn't get involved and hijack the plot to once again "save Mikoto" because that would be the point I could see eye to eye those other peeps had with the Sisters Arc.

Right, manga readers?! Anime exclamation
hate to disappoint but that is gonna be the case for the current arc,so like it or not all those that dislike touma would have to grin and bear it. besides, if he wasnt around from time to time, they would be using the raging man hating lesbian instead and i highly doubt anyone would want that.

Last edited by jr240483 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
^
I think darkchibi07 DOES know what happens.

But the scenario is a bit different. Even though Kamijou comes across as the key player at the climax, so was Kuroko and the girls and two other people. The manga and Kamijou even made it clear that all he did was help out a bit at the end. Though that bit probably made Railgun purists mad. Its as if they thought the central main character in the entire franchise wouldn't turn up. Rolling Eyes

Unless darkchibi07 was specifically referring to Mikoto needing to be saved again, then............ Laughing

Also Kuroko is only a raging man hating lesbian in the anime. Though, man hating may be a bit too much. And the next arc seems to suggest lesbian may be too strong a word.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Its as if they thought the central main character in the entire franchise wouldn't turn up. Rolling Eyes

Yeah... it is humorously similar to the raging anti-Mikoto faction that is constantly shocked and appalled every time the character the last LN poll suggested was more popular than the main character gets a part. Really, both sides deserve each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3