• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - In the Doghouse (ENG + JPN)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is a first for ANN's ANNcast, having both podcast with English translation only and the original Japanese audio in the interview. Smile

I'll listen to it when I have a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Happy to hear my question about OPs asked. When I wrote the question the examples I had in my head were the 1st OP to Orphen, the 3rd OP to Fullmetal Alchemist (2003), & the 1st OP to Monster Farm, all of which Ando did & still look absolutely awesome or beautiful (or both) today; that Orphen OP in particular really stands out as one of my all-time favorite OPs. I can completely understand his response, though, as being able to do so much in such little time does sound to always be a great accomplishment.

(By the way, I just noticed that both Orphen & FMA's OPs feature a snake/dragon-esque creatures getting cut in half by flying into a blade... Is that something Ando just likes to show?)

As for Under the Dog, the answers essentially confirmed my feelings about the project, and I'm happy to be a backer for it. Here's hoping it succeeds & these three can tell the story they want with no concessions. Finally, it's kind of interesting to hear Hiroaki Yura say his peace about how the anime industry tends to work & how he hopes to "bring balance back to The Force" (loved the reference, by the way).
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Wow this is a first for ANN's ANNcast, having both podcast with English translation only and the original Japanese audio in the interview.

It's also the first time they've had a Japanese guest on the show, in case you weren't keeping track.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Wow this is a first for ANN's ANNcast, having both podcast with English translation only and the original Japanese audio in the interview.

It's also the first time they've had a Japanese guest on the show, in case you weren't keeping track.

No they had Japanese guests before (the last Japanese guest ANNcast had speak English very well). I remember that podcast few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

No they had Japanese guests before (the last Japanese guest ANNcast had speak English very well). I remember that podcast few years ago.

He means Japanese guests that don't speak English, not "literally anyone who happens to be Japanese", which is true, this is the first time.

Only took us 198 episodes to get around to trying it!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
@Zac: Ah OK, I get what you're saying. Embarassed
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
That's very nice of you to go through the process of editing every answer like that. Oh, and I hope you have something special in mind for #200.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It's always weird when people try to even suggest a hint of dichotomy of oldschool and newschool fan exists. You can love all of the 80s and 90s action-y stuff while simultaneously adoring the common moe and LN/VN adaptations of now, it's not even remotely difficult or conflicting. Anyway, if there's such a dire need and want for something like Under the Dog to exist, this is the time for people to put their bank accounts where their fingers/mouths are. If it fails, that would seem to suggest the risk-averse production committees were rightfully cautious, but that could also be due the kind of number this project is aiming and that they only have a month to get all the pledging in. I would want to see it completed, but I'm absolutely certain I could likewise live without it were it to not meet its goal.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Good ANNCast.

I really appreciated the openness from Ando, Ishii, and especially Yura. It's certainly not something you'd normally expect to hear from Japanese creators, and those still active in the industry, at that.

Again, really hoping that this succeeds. Even if it doesn't turn out to be my favorite thing, it's clear that this is a project that these guys are passionate about, and not something with the greatest potential for profit. And more importantly, it opens a new door for creators with an idea to get the funding they need, and the freedom to bring their vision to life. That combination hasn't been seen often since the late 1980s/early '90s.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's always weird when people try to even suggest a hint of dichotomy of oldschool and newschool fan exists. You can love all of the 80s and 90s action-y stuff while simultaneously adoring the common moe and LN/VN adaptations of now, it's not even remotely difficult or conflicting.

Yeah I also don't understand this attitude, as if certain tastes must be mutually exclusive. Also, there's still plenty of action material in modern anime, more so than decades ago. It's just that amount of anime has increased significantly, so there's a lot more of everything else too. But that also means increased competition for funds.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's always weird when people try to even suggest a hint of dichotomy of oldschool and newschool fan exists. You can love all of the 80s and 90s action-y stuff while simultaneously adoring the common moe and LN/VN adaptations of now, it's not even remotely difficult or conflicting

Unfortunately, that's how it is on the internet. Partisanship is the standard because it can breed the "Us VS Them" mentality fans love to participate in. They create conflicts and problems in their head that don't exist in reality, and creating a dichotomy lets people pigeonhole other people into groups for easy dismissal without actually engaging in a proper debate.

Or perhaps they just have something to prove, or want to stand out against the norm. Since anime has become more mainstream now compared to the 90s, certain individuals may feel the need to find a way to regain their individual status, which means sometimes denouncing all popular things and identifying with something else.

As you say, this Kickstarter is the perfect time for people to show they mean business and vote with their money if they want change.

-Stuart Smith
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
It is important to point out that he said several times they had many offers for a TV version of this script, but they turned all traditional funding down in order to have complete creative control.

So it's not like they shopped this around and people said "no, not moe enough". He has his opinion on the direction of the anime industry, but this isn't a test case that's going to prove or disprove the willingness of Japanese studios to make stuff like it. They did want to make it, but the team wanted freedom.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Since anime has become more mainstream now compared to the 90s,

Not sure about more mainstream, but definitely more available. Most anime aren't made for mainstream but a few thousands people.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
I like the fact that Japanese creators are trying to regain creative freedom lost since early 90's. Creative freedom is what made anime attractive to young people of the world .

High quality animation Trilogy for $580K is one heck of a deal. A single episode budget of Sponge Bob Square Pants is $500K, so us anime fans have chance to fund visually-awesome, well-written (hopefully) animation.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It is important to point out that he said several times they had many offers for a TV version of this script, but they turned all traditional funding down in order to have complete creative control.

I think this is a completely stupid attitude. It's like cutting your nose to spite your face. A "compromised" vision that is seen on tv/dvd/blu-ray is better than a pure vision that remains in the depths of the creative universe for failing to bring in the bucks to materialise said artistic vision.

Quote:

So it's not like they shopped this around and people said "no, not moe enough". He has his opinion on the direction of the anime industry, but this isn't a test case that's going to prove or disprove the willingness of Japanese studios to make stuff like it. They did want to make it, but the team wanted freedom.

Exactly, you can still be creative in Japan, same as in the US or in Europe. But as always if the money for the project isn't yours you'll have to compromise. I mean you think all those animes from the 70-80-90-00 that we all love were the uncompromising "pure" visions from the animators ? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3