• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noein - To Your Other Self [merged]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
With the impending release of volume 1, from Manga, I thought we needed a thread about this crazy series.

According to the ANN entry: Fifteen years in the future, by high-level scientific power, a violent battle takes place between La’cryma, that protects humanity, and Shangri-La, that plans the annihilation of all space-time. The key to stopping Shangri-La’s invasion is a mysterious object known as “the Dragon’s Torque.” A group known as the Dragon Calvary is being sent through space and time to find it. In the present, twelve-year old Haruka and her friend Yuu are contemplating running away from home when they meet a member of the Dragon Calvary named Karasu (Crow). He believes that Haruka has the Dragon's Torque and claims to be Yuu from fifteen years in the future.

Here are the main characters (in order), Haruka, Yuu, and Karasu.

The director for Noein is Kazuki Akane, who has quite a few big-name titles under his belt, including Escaflowne and Samurai Champloo, as well as a few gems like Heat Guy J and the decent Geneshaft.

Karasu (gee, he kind of looks like Mosquiton) will be voiced, in the english dub, by Crispin Freeman. The first DVD drops October 17, with an MSRP of $24.95 (though I'm sure Best Buy will have it for less). It will contain the first five episodes, with five DVDs total.

Animation is by Satelight (the guys behind Hellsing Ultimate and Heat Guy J).

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm quite surprised at the fairly low score from Anime On DVD, giving the first volume only a C for content. I saw the first five episodes a long time ago via fansub, and I've been waiting for this to come out for a while now. Anyone else looking forward to it?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
The director for Noein is Kazuki Akane, who has quite a few big-name titles under his belt, including Escaflowne and Samurai Champloo, as well as a few gems like Heat Guy J and the decent Geneshaft.

Technically he only handled part of the storyboard work on Samurai Champloo, but he still worked on it regardless. He was the director and handled many of the storyboards for the Escaflowne series, which I enjoyed immensely, particularly the first two episodes (which he handled).

Quote:
Karasu (gee, he kind of looks like Mosquiton) will be voiced, in the english dub, by Crispin Freeman.

Even though it's more of a stretch, Karasu's design also reminds me of Dr. Kiriko from Black Jack (take your pick from the original source material by Osamu Tezuka to its many adaptions).

Quote:
Animation is by Satelight (the guys behind Hellsing Ultimate and Heat Guy J).

Haven't seen Heat Guy J but I love the animation work done in the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs so I have hopes for Noein.

Quote:
I'm quite surprised at the fairly low score from Anime On DVD, giving the first volume only a C for content.

Can't say much since I have yet to see it, though it just simply covers for what is given for the first five episodes, not the whole series. Of course I agree with some of the ratings that Chris Beveridge does and disagree with others, but ultimately it is just the matter of taste.

Quote:
Anyone else looking forward to it?

I plan on checking it out just simply because it seems one of those unspoken but much appreciated series to have been released recently. Whether I own the series or not, though, is dependent on whether I really enjoy the series and its replay value, not to mention Manga Ent. putting out a box set for the anime.

Edit: Link wasn't working.

Last edited by HellKorn on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase MyAnime:

Quote:
Wow, this was such a huge disappointment I'm upset I wasted a DVD burning it before I watched any of it. The character designs and animation were absolutely abominable; easily among the ugliest I've ever seen, only the main girl looked half-way decent. The story was also very cheesy from what I saw, the script was terribly unbelievable, 2 or 3 of the voice actors have voices I abhor, and virtually everything that I saw about the show was extremely childish in every way shape and form. Someone I really trusted would have to give me an absolutely glowing and detailed review of why this show deserves it's ratings for me to watch any more of this crap. I only watched 3 episodes, but I feel absolutely no remorse rating this as terrible right now.

I was...... disappointed. And gets my vote for most "overrated" anime here at ANN, if you look only at ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd agree with you on the fact that a few of character designs were really ugly, however, even though most of the cast are children the story that develops is absolutely not childish. How many kids do you know that would be entertained by abstract quantum mechanics and dimensional theories which the show constantly references, and confusing time travel paradoxies. I don't know any, my little brother would have been bored out of his mind by the series. Laughing It definitely has an adult level of complexity. You should have watched the whole thing as it got a lot more serious and a lot more complicated. Probabally the only people who will like it are huge science fiction nuts like myself who grew up watching the various Star Treks, and Babylon 5. I loved the series personally and already have volume 1 pre-ordered.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
beezis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series quite a bit. The characters, while not anything extraordinary, I thought were quite well done and acted their age as well as looked it. I thought the art, especially during battles, was almost flawless and certainly unique looking. It is certainly directed at people who enjoy deep scientific theoretical animes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Darrenm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first 6 episodes, and I can't wait to get through the rest. I think this is a really great series that completely flew under the radar for most people (I almost missed it as well), and didn't get enough of the respect it deserved.

I don't think the animation/character design is that bad (though I thought the slight style changes made after episode 1 were a little odd), but I can see where people might feel that way.

Anyways, I'd completely disagree with Anime on DVD's review, but I guess I can't properly review it without seeing the entire series.[/i]
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Darrenm wrote:
I don't think the animation/character design is that bad (though I thought the slight style changes made after episode 1 were a little odd), but I can see where people might feel that way.

The animation is very excellent. Yes, the art style tends to change frequently, but that really didn't bug me too much.

Quote:
Anyways, I'd completely disagree with Anime on DVD's review, but I guess I can't properly review it without seeing the entire series.[/i]

I'm not saying Chris's review was wrong, though I do disagree with the review, in my own opinion. I've not seen the entire first disc, only the first three episodes. I guess AoDVD just couldn't get into it. Sad
Lynx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I was almost turned off by Noein very early on. I recall one of the big reasons being the animation was horrible. The first episode in particular had me questioning the series quality which definitely isn't a good start. The other reason being the whole story in the beginning with Yuu and his out of kilter mother being an absolute drag.

However once the series got running with the focus on Shangri'la it got much better. The animation was still shaky at times but from then on the story kept me watching.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Darrenm wrote:
I've only seen the first 6 episodes, and I can't wait to get through the rest. I think this is a really great series that completely flew under the radar for most people (I almost missed it as well), and didn't get enough of the respect it deserved.
There's a reason it flew under the radar for many people--it was a Media Factory Int. series, and thus didn't appear on some of the major fansub index sites as it was coming out. I've had it sitting around unwatched for awhile, since I prefer not to watch anything from that particular fansub group if there's an alternative, and DVDs count as an alternative Smile I took advantage of RightStuf's Manga Ent. sale awhile back to pre-order the first 4 DVDs, so even if Noein does disappoint me, it's only $60 or so for a 24-episode series.
Watched the first episode, had a bit of trouble staying awake, though that's because of getting up early* for work for the past 3 days. Some character designs were a little weird, especially Haruka's mom, but at least some of the CG is stuff you don't see every day. Even though I'm not entirely sure what the series is about, I've been intrigued by it for quite awhile, and I felt like giving Manga a chance on their first TV series in a few years. Judging by the first episode, it looks like I'll have to give some time for things to warm up, but there was enough to keep me wanting more.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
You liked it Zalis? Confused

Well, let me know how it goes when it's done I guess. If you give it a 'very good' or better, I'll probabaly have to give it a second chance at least. It was certainly one of those shows I wanted to like, but was just so offended at the childishness of things like spoiler[future Yuu calling himself powerless and worthless. It just seemed so indescribably stupid in every way shape and form, that is the moment that I lost all respect for the show (and there was absolutely no justification the show could give me for that one, it was just the stupidest thing I think I've ever seen in a serious anime).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love this show, and would probably regard it a masterpiece. The plot is mindblowing and few anime offer up anything as smart(most of the quantum mechanics talk in the show is true or plausible) and beautifully animated(granted, some episodes do have a dip in animation quality). Unfortunately, such is the fate of smart, quirky anime to be ignored or shrugged off for being ugly (here's lookin at you Kemonozume Wink ), and they're certainly not for everyone, Noein included. But if you like unique anime give this a go and definitely watch the entire series if you can manage to pick your jaw up off the floor after the first 5 minutes of episode 1(there will be more moments like that Wink)

Besides, who wouldn't love an anime about quantum physics??
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Besides, who wouldn't love an anime about quantum physics??

<--- Quantum Physicists probably (though, I guess I haven't really gotten to that part yet Rolling Eyes ).
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
sorry, was editing my first post, but ended up double posting
naeblis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
You liked it Zalis? Confused

Well, let me know how it goes when it's done I guess. If you give it a 'very good' or better, I'll probabaly have to give it a second chance at least. It was certainly one of those shows I wanted to like, but was just so offended at the childishness of things like spoiler[future Yuu calling himself powerless and worthless. It just seemed so indescribably stupid in every way shape and form, that is the moment that I lost all respect for the show (and there was absolutely no justification the show could give me for that one, it was just the stupidest thing I think I've ever seen in a serious anime).]

You have to understand that as spoiler[Future Yuu, he's not calling his younger self that because he wants to put him down, it's partly because he remembers how he felt at the time. And in fact, future Yuu, for all his power and skill, wasn't always that way....]
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't like Noein at all. I've deleted it after watching, something I don't do often. The CGI looked like CGI and that is seldom a good thing. The quantum talk was mostly nonsensical to absurd spoiler["We must leave the room to stop observing." OMG.] The "quantum enhanced" powers were barely specified, in a nutshell, they were about as strong or weak as the script demanded. spoiler[Most notably the stunt of the crazy time traveler (forgot his name, it's been a while) in the finale.] Some major plot points were never explained. spoiler[What, exactly is Haruka and why? And how exactly did the Shangri'la Karasu end up in his position?]

spoiler[At least Haruka wasn't portraited as the prototypical mysterious girl that is for some mysterious reason the mysterious key to something mysterious. Ethereal and lifeless, I mean.]

In short: Don't buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3