• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noein - To Your Other Self [merged]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
Mindless Watcher wrote:
spoiler[Most notably the stunt of the crazy time traveler (forgot his name, it's been a while) in the finale.]
Some people have complained about this, but I guess you, and others, didn't realize that spoiler[he is just an incarnation of Haruka's power, he's not just some random dude who came in to help her, he pretty much is part of her ]

Quote:
Some major plot points were never explained. spoiler[What, exactly is Haruka and why? And how exactly did the Shangri'la Karasu end up in his position?]
Quite frankly, if you didn't realize what spoiler[Haruka was,] you weren't paying attention. How many times did they say spoiler[she was the Dragon Torque?! They also said she wasn't exactly human but a collection of Layze particles(or some particles, can't remember right now)].As for how spoiler[Noein got his position, I'll agree that could have used a bit more explanation, but really, it didn't take much away from the story. What matters is that he had that power, not how. And they at least showed how he got to his current mental state instead of just having him be evil for the sake of being evil. ]

Quote:

In short: Don't buy.

Dead wrong. A must buy.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Mindless Watcher wrote:
spoiler[Most notably the stunt of the crazy time traveler (forgot his name, it's been a while) in the finale.]
Some people have complained about this, but I guess you, and others, didn't realize that spoiler[he is just an incarnation of Haruka's power, he's not just some random dude who came in to help her, he pretty much is part of her ]

Is he? Source for that?

bahamut623 wrote:
Quote:
Some major plot points were never explained. spoiler[What, exactly is Haruka and why? And how exactly did the Shangri'la Karasu end up in his position?]
Quite frankly, if you didn't realize what spoiler[Haruka was,] you weren't paying attention. How many times did they say spoiler[she was the Dragon Torque?! They also said she wasn't exactly human but a collection of Layze particles(or some particles, can't remember right now)]

Of course I did notice that but that's not an explanation, that's just names void of meaning. So let me rephrase it: spoiler[What does it mean Haruka being the "dragon torque", or "a collection of Layze particles" Why isn't she human like you and me, obviously unique and how does that all fit organically into the context of the series? ]

bahamut623 wrote:
As for how spoiler[Noein got his position, I'll agree that could have used a bit more explanation, but really, it didn't take much away from the story. What matters is that he had that power, not how. And they at least showed how he got to his current mental state instead of just having him be evil for the sake of being evil. ]

That was a deus ex machina if there ever was one. spoiler[At first, Noein was a simple Japanese boy, namely "our" Yuu or a Yuu from a very similar time line. Few years later, he's a god for all practical means in countless universes. ] That requires more than "a bit" explanation. It's a major flaw of a story line when the script writer pulls such "details" out of the hat like a rabbit.
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Noein is a great show for people who like anime that is actually animated. As opposed to shows with immaculatly drawn and detailed scenes with very little movement beyond the flapping of a mouth across a vast wasteland of skin and chin.

I understand that some people prefer the limited budget of a TV animation to be spent on making a show look stilted and have character design indestinguishable from x number of other shows, but I prefer that money actually spent on increasing the number of key animation frames used, even if that means a loss of individual detail in those frames.

There are scenes that are a tour de force of animation, far beyond what you'd normally expect from a TV show. Episode 12 in particular, but the very first scene in episode is fairly awesome too.

Now plot-wise, I'll admit the whole quantum physics thing mixed with the adult and kid angst is an unusual mix. And it does feel like they occasionally have bitten off more than they can chew, but I'm willing to let that slide due to the sheer sense of movement it creates at it's highest points.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course I did notice that but that's not an explanation, that's just names void of meaning. So let me rephrase it: spoiler[What does it mean Haruka being the "dragon torque", or "a collection of Layze particles" Why isn't she human like you and me, obviously unique and how does that all fit organically into the context of the series? ]

Well, if you knew anything about quantum physics you would know that we hardly know anything. All we have are unprovable at present theories, and this is a science fiction series after all which tend to stretch things and technobabble. spoiler[The Dragon Torque is exactly what you see in the anime a powerful being that can manipulate and alter the timespace continium acting like an anchor that keeps timespace existing and layze particles are what gives the La'Crima characters powers. Thinking about it any further is unnecessary.] That is the nature of science fiction, speculation about the unknown and the abillity to BS you, if you don't like it or can't make the mental stretch required I suggest finding another genre that entertains you more.

Quote:
That was a deus ex machina if there ever was one. spoiler[At first, Noein was a simple Japanese boy, namely "our" Yuu or a Yuu from a very similar time line. Few years later, he's a god for all practical means in countless universes. ] That requires more than "a bit" explanation. It's a major flaw of a story line when the script writer pulls such "details" out of the hat like a rabbit.

Agreed they could have offered more of an explanation for that and that's definitely a flaw in the series. However, I don't really think knowing how it happened is really neccessary to understanding the main story so I let it slide.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I just picked up Volume One today for $18.99 (Canadian at that). That is a freakin' awesome deal, especially for an anime; it even works out to more than three hours including extras. Given the mixed opinions, I think anyone should take the chance on such a deal (this coming from someone who only buys anime occasionally).
Brack wrote:
Noein is a great show for people who like anime that is actually animated. As opposed to shows with immaculatly drawn and detailed scenes with very little movement beyond the flapping of a mouth across a vast wasteland of skin and chin.
I also really hate when shows are motionless like that. I remember when .hack//SIGN literally sat at the same frame for two minutes, since then I seem to get really pissed off on anything that's even a fraction as motionless as that, and the show losses my attention for a little while.

I haven't started watching the disc yet, but it sounds like Noein might be pretty great to me (I always get entranced in sci-fi philosophy stuff!).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
I actually picked this one up the other night when I went out to get Over the Hedge. I had heard next to nothing about this series up until a few days ago when I bumped in to a discussion about it on another board and decided to look it up. After looking it up I found a lack of information, but enough to be intrigued and while the reviews were mixed that didn't phase me, especially since art style was a common factor and different art styles don't bother me. I decided to pick it up though, especially since there's been a major lack of anime that have interested me all year.

I enjoyed the first 5 episodes, the art took a little bit to get used to but I hardly noticed it after the 1st episode. The CGI was pretty good I thought, yeah their ship or whatever you want to call it is obvious CGI but it actually kind of fits the way things look when it shows up. The other CGI melds quite well, like the buildings and Haruka's house which is also CGI which is obvious by how the camera moves and the perspectives change but it fits the rest of the art perfectly. The art style is interesting, the exaggerated angles and depth perception, but it works and doesn't detract from it too much. I mean, Gankutsuou is seen as a masterpiece by many and its style is much odder and more distracting than Noein's.

It was a good buy I feel and I'll definitely be picking up volume 2 when it comes out, which unfortunately isn't until early 2007 if I recall, Manga isn't the best with release dates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Quite frankly, if ... you weren't paying attention.

Kruszer wrote:
Well, if you knew anything about quantum physics

Kruszer wrote:
if you ... can't make the mental stretch

What's up with the level of discussion here? Confused

OK, let's try to settle this in a civilized manner.

Some of my favorite anime are sci fi. My favorite live action series are sci fi. My library contains a few hundred sci fi books. But I'm allergic against the misuse of sci fi to replace a solid plot.

In a nutshell:
Major plot elements of Noein rest upon thin air. This is my opinion.
Don't buy. This is my advice.

You might disagree. You might even think that Noein is The Anime To End All Anime. But don't try to tell me nonchalantly that I must be retarded if I can't see the greatness of this show. That's not only rude, that's also quite weak a counter argument.

I'm not in the mood to drop my metaphorical pants to compare the length of my scientific curriculum vitae with yours. So let's just say, yes, I know "something" about quantum mechanics.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The use of sci-fi in Noein is pretty much all centered around hypothesis, and despite the fact you may know "something" about quantam mechanics, you simply don't know enough and that's because no one knows enough. It's called sci-fi, as in science fiction, meaning it's not real and it's simply exploring a concept that isn't proven or factual but is considered by some to be a possibility of some sort.

Some things take a leap, if you can't take the leap then you'll hate what requires it. Fiction often requires it though because they can't always explain every aspect, especially when it's based on hypothesis and fictional elements, because even if they did you'd still just have more questions because it's not real. I like it when they don't resort to technobabble to fill in the minds of the weak fans who think they have to understand what isn't even in a position to be understood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mindless Watcher wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
Mindless Watcher wrote:

Is he? Source for that?

Well, spoiler[the fact that he transformed into the Orobouros(serpent thingy) pretty much proves that.]

Keonyn wrote:
The use of sci-fi in Noein is pretty much all centered around hypothesis, and despite the fact you may know "something" about quantam mechanics, you simply don't know enough and that's because no one knows enough. It's called sci-fi, as in science fiction, meaning it's not real and it's simply exploring a concept that isn't proven or factual but is considered by some to be a possibility of some sort.

Exactly. By no means is Noein hard Sci-fi. Most of the science the show uses is all theoretical anyway. Whether they have any solid truth is up to debate, but the show uses that theoretical science as the base for a lot of story elements. Because it's still so theoretical and uncertain, that gives them alot of room to play around with it a bit while still staying somewhat accurate. The only real plothole is the one about spoiler[Noein himself] but that part of the story isn't the glue holding the show together, the answer to that question isn't why you're watching the show. Everything else has some sort of explanation to it. Even the question about spoiler[why Haruka is the Dragon Torque] is answered somewhere in the series, can't remember specifically when.

And as for my "wasn't paying attention" comment, I didn't mean to be mean, I just meant it's something they talked about alot in the series and if you paid close attention the answer would've been apparent.

And for anyone who's complaining about the spoiler[Noein] plothole, you can't honestly be hating the show so much. If the show was as horrible as you say, you wouldn't have watched that far into the series. There was obviously something that kept you coming back, and finding out about spoiler[Noein] probably wasn't it.

I thought this was fitting:
Quote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

Besides, it's fiction. If you enjoyed the first volume, the rest of the series only gets better. I'm not saying it's the best ever, but it could very well be the best of 2006. No other anime provided as unique an experience art or storywise this year.

PS: Hope I didn't make anyone angry with anything I said before. If anything, I'm having fun discussing the show, so I didn't mean to say anything bad.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's up with the level of discussion here?

OK, let's try to settle this in a civilized manner.

I was being perfectly civil actually. Trying to explain things the best I could and suggest that if science fiction or Noein in particular wasn't your thing you may want watch something else. Simple as that. If I was being sarcastic or talking down to you I'd use these handy things, " Rolling Eyes ". If you don't like the show thats fine, you've explained pretty thoroughly why you didn't get a kick out of it as much as some of us did and I respect that.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Noein to bits. One of the best shows to come out in years. The animation is amazing, one battle in particular beat the crap out of anything I have ever seen in any other TV show. I was also very impressed by the music, I have the soundtrack and listen to it regularly.

Please if you gave up on the show after only a few episodes understand that there is a LOT more to it than at first appears. Aside from an interesting story it is chock full of great characters that actually feel like human beings rather than cliche caricatures.

As far as the "plotholes" mentioned here...

spoiler[As far as Noein, don't forget that all the alternate timelines do not occur simultaneously. Noein had a hell of a lot more than a few years to set his plan in motion, its pretty strongly implied that the rise of Shangri'la has taken a long time.]

spoiler[As far as Haruka, being the dragon torque is basicaly an extremely peculiar existance that ends up as a quantum observer. Think Ayato from Rahxephon, Haruka too had the ability to make what she observed the reality of the world where she was. A kind of universe switcheroo which syncronized the desired timespace segment with the one she was in.]

Also, seeing as we are dealing with quantum probabilities and parallel worlds here, I think it is fair to allow the authors considerable leeway, seeing as quantum behavior is bizzare to the extreme.

BUY BUY BUY! (much better than 90% of the stuff getting released lately)
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
I didn't get all the technical mumbo-jumbo to some extent, but that didn't take away from entertainment.. the graphics, VAs and story got me caught up in it. Now I have to wait until January for vol.2... ugh! I hate cliffhangers!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
I wish Rightstuf would hurry up and send my copy. I pre-ordered it months ago, you'd think it would be in my hands by now. Ah well, I'm just being impatient, I've already seen the series anyway so I guess I won't mind waiting too much. I'm really looking forward to rewatching it though, especially since it's got one of my favorite English VAs in it.
Askman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I picked it up on a whim last October, and I really enjoyed it, and I couldn't wait to see more of it. Unfortunately, I had to wait until January to see more of it, and finally it's almost time. I hope I won't be in for a dissapointment Very Happy

But seriously, why is Manga waiting 3 months in between releases? It just seems really absurd to keep people waiting that long.

[EDIT: Merged the "At Last, Noein Vol. 2 is out" thread with the other Noein thread from awhile back. ~Zalis]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Manga has never been great with release dates, just look at Karas, it's going to be almost a year since the first was released before the second will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3