• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flawless anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So we know the internet's favourite passtime is complaining criticizing everything. Just look at the thread for any popular show and you'll see page upon page of people pointing out how it sucks.

Now I'm the sort of person who generally likes everything. I feel that harping on the negative is a waste of time and you should simply enjoy what's offered to you. But I'm perfectly capable of listing off problems I have with any given title (I simply don't fixate on them). Even Gunbuster, which I consider one of the greatest works of fiction ever, isn't immune to this.

However there is at least one title where I've failed to find any major issues and that's The Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya. I think maybe one scene could be placed somewhere else, but other than that I honestly couldn't tell you anything bad about it. It looks amazing, it's got great character development for Kyon, Yuki is adorable, and as a novel reader I have to say the adaptation was spot on. I honestly couldn't write a balanced review of the film even if you paid me. I'd only have good things to say.

So what titles, if any, have you been unable to find any flaws in?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
No anime is without sin. There has never been a perfect anime and there never will be.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
But here's an odd thing, Vaisaga. You've only rated The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya as excellent. That suggests to me that you have reasons why you haven't rated it as a masterpiece. Thus it isn't flawless, even by your assessment.

Gunbuster?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Agreed with dtm42. The significant flaw in Disappearance is that it's too long. (In fact, IIRC it's the second-longest anime movie ever made in terms of running time.) When I wrote the review for it, I believe I said that it should be shortened by something like 10-15 minutes.

Heck, even the titles I put on my Best of 2000s list had flaws. Still think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig is one of the best anime accomplishments ever in science fiction, but it tends to be cold and impersonal. Koi Kaze is, IMO, the unrivaled masterpiece of anime writing, but its artistry is definitely not on the same level. Even Moribito, which I think offers the most complete package of any anime series ever produced, had some episodes through its middle that could justifiably be labeled as filler. (And others would probably complain about it being too slow-paced in general, although I entirely disagree.)

So, yeah. Never run into anything that I would call truly perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RadarJay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Media isn't objective, yo. People develop they're own reasoning for why their taste run a certain way or not, and find value in whatever based on that. A piece of work that is incredibly personal to the audience will have glaring "flaws" or weird elements largely overlooked, and something with incredible artistic statement and aesthetic can seem incredibly inaccessible to some. And... yeah. Pretty much what everyone else said.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
I would say Cardcaptor Sakura would get top marks from me in every aspect that I care about, and that there isn't any obvious way I can think of to improve it. I like the music, artwork, and cast of characters as a whole from it better than for any other anime, and also think the story is great. Anything I could name as a flaw seems rather to be nitpicking and not really a flaw (e.g., the artwork in the manga is even better, but it's not like they can have Clamp draw every frame . . . some of the songs aren't as good as some of the other ones, but it isn't like it would be better if they used less varied music . . . I'm sure there were some episodes I liked better than others, but there weren't any I disliked, etc.). Of course it is impossible for something to be truly flawless, and also it is in large part a matter of opinion what is good and what isn't, but I think for me Cardcaptor Sakura is the sort of anime that Vaisaga is talking about.

Despite that though, Cardcaptor Sakura is only my second-favorite anime, behind the obviously flawed His and Her Circumstances (which doesn't have an ending in the anime, ran out of budget, had excessive amounts of recap, etc.). How much I enjoy something just doesn't depend on whether it has any noticeable flaws, but instead just comes down to what sort of emotional response I got from watching an anime (though a show that is great in every aspect would be one I enjoy a lot . . . or perhaps I would say if I didn't enjoy something a lot, then that in itself makes it not great in every aspect). Also, in some cases I think having flaws gives things character and makes them more enjoyable from an emotional perspective . . . things like odd art or reused animation can be called a flaw from an objective standpoint, yet still can make something more fun to watch.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
I don't tend to like this kind of discussion, because there really isn't going to be anything so "good" or "flawless" that it forces everyone else to accept its objective merit. There's a lot more dimension to the analysis of a show, and one man's trash is another man's treasure, especially in my case when it comes to character development. I still haven't gotten around to finishing 2nd GiG yet,for instance, but what most people tend to call cold and impersonal tends to be right up my alley. In that sense, I feel like there are more useful ways to talk about this kind of thing.

However if I were to throw my hat in for a good candidate, I'd say Redline fits my above criteria as well as anything can. It gets its point across in such a brazen and technically tight way and owns up to it's own distinctive style in a presentation that in my experience gets everyone to understand and respect its vision.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
But here's an odd thing, Vaisaga. You've only rated The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya as excellent. That suggests to me that you have reasons why you haven't rated it as a masterpiece. Thus it isn't flawless, even by your assessment.

Gunbuster?

What Calathan said. Disappearence just didn't hit me in the feels quite as hard as Gunbuster did. But "I didn't like it as much" isn't a legitimate flaw.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I just can't take someone who thinks that Gunbuster is "one of the greatest works of fiction ever" seriously.

Although I can't reference Gunbuster without noting it has an absolutely fantastic ending. I'll rewatch it again at some point simply to re-experience those goosebump (due to awesomeness, not fear) final seconds. Personally, I think it is that ending that has given Gunbuster what I feel is an overblown reputation for greatness.

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
yay, Cinema Sin references!
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo may not be the textbook definition of flawless but it is damn near impeccable.

In terms of replay value the title is very high, even on a categorical scale.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I just can't take someone who thinks that Gunbuster is "one of the greatest works of fiction ever" seriously.

Name one other work of fiction that does so much for the development of jiggle physics.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
As dtm said, I don't think we can say any anime is flawless. That being said, I am not necessarily of the mindset that there can never be a flawless anime. I do think it is possible.

As for the current offerings, I would agree that Cardcaptor Sakura is about as close to flawless as we've seen to this point. The original Dragon Ball and Cowboy Beebop are pretty close behind it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As dtm said, I don't think we can say any anime is flawless. That being said, I am not necessarily of the mindset that there can never be a flawless anime. I do think it is possible.

Yes, there's nothing incoherent or contradictory about the concept. One could, hypothetically, discover a show that just hit every single mark for them. It's just incredibly unlikely. I've certainly never found anything close to that. Even my favorite shows have some small aspects that I would consider minor flaws or at least instances where the show could be better. Although perhaps that's another question. Is there a distinction to be made between an actual flaw and a simple instance where a show could have been better?
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yes, there's nothing incoherent or contradictory about the concept. One could, hypothetically, discover a show that just hit every single mark for them.

Do you delve into an artistic work with a set of ready marks though? We have some expectations that we want it to fulfill, but I can't imagine those expectations covering so many criteria to posit some work as flawless.

The remark about distinction between "has flaws" and "could've been better" is also in place. Since we have not experienced "ideal anime" (it being an abstract, hypothetical concept) we cannot directly imagine what it would be like. Let's say we see an anime that we describe as flawless. Would we also describe it as ideal? I don't think so. We would find out something that was less than ideal or could have been even better in the anime and from that perspective the anime would stop being flawless.

Because of this I think that the concept of "flawless anime" actually is incoherent even if we stay in the bounds of an "anime that is flawless for me personally".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2