• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Unveils New 3DS Models With More Controls, NFC Support

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
If that's the case, I still don't see the problem. It's no different than the transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Color, or DS to DSi. Having to buy an upgraded machine for new software is fairly standard. You had to buy the Circle Pad Pro to really play some 3DS games to begin with, and It's not like every new game for the 3DS will require the new model. How many games actually took advantage of the Circle Pad Pro in the end? Most of the library didn't.

-Stuart Smith
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This may work with apple stuff, but I'm not sure if it'll necessarily work with Nintendo...

I have this weird feeling that maybe Xenoblade is there to test the waters and if it doesn't work out, they'll just not make games that utilize the stronger whatever.

(sort of happened with Circle Pad Pro: at the end of the day, not a lot of games used it and they sort of just focused on making games that didn't need it)

That said, I probably will upgrade.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is just like the GameBoy to GB Color. You know, the one where the GBC came out 9 years after the GB.

It's just like the DS to DSI. You know where the DSi had no real DSI only worthwhile retail releases.

Just goes to show you that buying Nintendo hardware is an awful idea as you're just going to get screwed.

When I buy a system, I expect it to play the systems games until the real successor comes out. Not whatever this is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I normally get the XL, but the interchangeable faceplates will cause me to get the standard size. Just can't resist those.
D288

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Do not buy this at all, it's evil, censored web browser, no AC adapter, Nintendo pushing for games to be on the N3DS, everything that could go wrong went wrong and all because Iwata wanted to save his skin. Please retire, this is a good reason why Japan wants people to retire at or around 60, to keep corporate tyranny like this to a minimum. Nintendo screwed over millions of current 3DS owners.

Well,
I haven't bought a 3DS since launch
I was planning to get an XL
So, I will buy the N3DS to spite you and everyone else
Ha
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah this is just like the GameBoy to GB Color. You know, the one where the GBC came out 9 years after the GB.
When I buy a system, I expect it to play the systems games until the real successor comes out. Not whatever this is.

That pretty much goes along with my rant. Except, for as far as we know, this "New Nintendo 3DS" has the potential to completely replace the original 3DS system, with no new games coming out for it... whereas there were at least 1-2 years of GB games enhanced for GBC before the GBC-only games started coming out. We might not even get anything other than Pokemon.
matsushima

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Wait hang on, so future 3DS games wont be compatible with my current 3DS XL?? What the hell?? It's like saying future PS4 games won't work on the current PS4 once the slim version comes out.....

No, Nintendo would not be so stupid as to ignore a 44 million install base. So far the only game announced to be new 3DS exclusive is the Xenoblade port.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
If that's the case, I still don't see the problem. It's no different than the transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Color, or DS to DSi. Having to buy an upgraded machine for new software is fairly standard. You had to buy the Circle Pad Pro to really play some 3DS games to begin with, and It's not like every new game for the 3DS will require the new model. How many games actually took advantage of the Circle Pad Pro in the end? Most of the library didn't.

-Stuart Smith

Yes, but the difference is the transition between the two systems. The GB-GBC transition was 8-9 years. It was time for a new transition. The 3DS-N3DS transition is only one year and some months. It's too soon for an upgrade like this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This seems like halfway to a whole new handheld in general.

Normally I would be pissed at that...but will that extra analog-stick let me C-stick in SSB? Crap...I might actually have to buy this.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys Nintendo answer people's questions regarding the new 3DS, yes it's compatible with older games catalog including DS titles.

Siliconera has the article on that.

Quote:
Q: Can it play all Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS games?

A: As far as Nintendo DS/DSi software goes, it won’t be able to play game cartridges that require a specific connection to the cartridge slots, such as the ones that required the GBA cartridge slot on the DS Lite and DS.

Other titles, for example Pokémon Tretta Lab, which requires extra hardware that fit the original 3DS’ shape and size, also won’t be compatible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a 3DS XL so I have no incentive to get this unless Nintendo puts must haves on it.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Yes, but the difference is the transition between the two systems. The GB-GBC transition was 8-9 years. It was time for a new transition. The 3DS-N3DS transition is only one year and some months. It's too soon for an upgrade like this.

Only a year? No way

3DS: 2011/02
N3DS: 2014/10

More like 3 years and 8 months

There was less time between the Color and Advance

GBC: 10/98
GBA: 3/01

2 years, 5 months

Not like companies will stop making games for 3DS or anything anyway, plus its backwards compatible.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This is some serious bullshit right here. How many people like me only bought a 3DS a year or two ago? And now we're looking at essentially buying a new system do avoid missing out on future 3DS games? What the hell? I mean, hopefully we'll still see a lot of stuff on the old 3DS but really, even if we wind up losing out on some new content that's pretty annoying. And if its just a partial redesign and not an actual new system, what are the odds it doesn't need replacing again in another few years? Seriously, what is Nintendo thinking here? This really hurts my confidence in them. Makes me feel uncomfortable buying their systems and not knowing if they'll continue to support them for a reasonable length of time.

matsushima wrote:
No, Nintendo would not be so stupid as to...

What about Nintendo's recent history has possibly installed in you any sort of faith in their capacity to make intelligent business decisions?
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
if that internet filter is in effect out of the box then f*** nintendo.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
A little off topic about 3DS but related to Nintendo: According to IGN, Nintendo of Europe has laid off 300 people by the end of this month.

Other sources backing IGN: Gamebreaker, Wii U Daily, Kotaku.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4