• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcement: Welcome to Daily Streaming Reviews!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Question: What happens to reviews on shows that don’t tend to generate a lot of interest/discussion among readers? Will they be dropped?
I mean, most TV review sites don’t cover the whole schedule, just the popular ones while the rest is ignored.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
Question: What happens to reviews on shows that don’t tend to generate a lot of interest/discussion among readers? Will they be dropped?
I mean, most TV review sites don’t cover the whole schedule, just the popular ones while the rest is ignored.

Discussion is one thing, traffic is another. We'll take both into consideration.

This is a bridge we'll cross when we get to it. It'll take many weeks for us to get a clear picture on the traffic, trends in discussion, etc, and then we have to decide what we're going to do. I have to imagine that if nobody's reading a show's reviews and there is no discussion for it, we won't want to keep paying for that content, but again, no decisions on anything like that will be made until we get a nice, solid, clear picture of the traffic and discussion patterns.
terminus24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I really like the stream and missed it when it disappeared. It was a good way to find out what I'd been missing out on. Really looking forwards to see how this turns out!
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm super excited about this!

I know it's early in the game but will the reviewers be switched out every season or is this a permanent team?
scineram

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

HOPE CHAPMAN
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Rail Wars!
Tokyo Ghoul

Hopelessly stuck with Fail Wars, but if Ghoul and Jojo don't make up for it, then nothing will.

Quote:

PAUL JENSEN
Sabagebu!
Invaders of Rokujyouma
Bladedance of Elementalers

Great comedies and a shitty harem fantasy. Good compromise.

Quote:

THERON MARTIN
Aldnoah.Zero
Hanayamata
Tokyo ESP

Theron sure knows to lay down the law with 3 really good ones. We have an expert picker here.

Quote:

AMY MCNULTY
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Naruto
Magimoji Rurumo

I guess she's a fan, but the other two would make up for Naruto anyway.

Quote:

LAUREN ORSINI
Free! Eternal Summer
Nobunaga Concerto
Bakumatsu Rock

No matter what people say, like on the previous podcast, Concerto is actually good, and you're all doing it wrong! The rest, it's Bishounen Mountain.

Quote:

MATT PACKARD
Argevollen
Akame ga KILL!
GLASSLIP

Nice variety there. Nothing outstanding really, just decent watches, and a popular turd.

Quote:
REBECCA SILVERMAN
Blue Spring Ride
Love Stage!!
Locodol

Very much a mixed bag. And that's just the shojo. At least Locodol is low key fun.

Looking forward to the column. You should interview them for the next Cast.

Last edited by scineram on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
An interesting, and probably necessary approach. I look forward to seeing how it pans out, though it's a shame nobody's covering Sengoku Basara End of Judgement Sad
OberonBob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
This sounds awesome, thanks ANN!
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited about this new feature! I read daily reviews elsewhere and sometimes use them to decide whether picking up a show is worth my time. It's nice to see that type of content here on ANN now too.

Are the Episode Review links in the feed always going to link to the show's page rather than link directly to the episode review that was posted?

Having to click/tap twice, rather than once to get to the review I'm trying to read is kind of annoying. I think it's only going to get worse as the list of episode reviews on each show's page continues to get longer since it appears they're currently listed from oldest to newest.

I'd hope that the links in the feed could be changed to go directly to the episode review that's being highlighted.

Beyond that, please consider listing the links to the reviews (both on the show's pages and at the bottom of the articles) in newest to oldest order.
scineram

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I can't exactly see the purposefulness in someone trash-talking a harem comedy every single week for 12 weeks. Maybe it'll mirror Bamboo's old column and only be about a paragraph or two long? Some episodes don't really have much to intelligently discuss beyond that.

I'm also not looking forward to some reviewers giving straight F-s for some shows.

It was my secret dream that they would hire E Minor to write Harem Hill for ANN, but it was not to be. That shows that you can pick apart shitty harem fanservice shows weekly in a worthwhile way. Usually at least. This season is tame, but Nieskoi, Dragonar and Imoucho were golden.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So, Bamboo's not reviewing anything in this new column?

Well, that's disappointing, I loved reading her columns.

Well, here's to the new format.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great. I look forward to reading them.

Dessa wrote:
Instead of a flood all day, every day, I would prefer to see them grouped together with smaller headlines, a la the Daily Briefs. They'd still all be listed, but it wouldn't be as in-your-face and flooding out other articles.

Yeah. I agree with this completely. Rather than space them out, I think it would be more sense to just post a single entry on the front page each day that was "Today's Episode Reviews".
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I will also echo other's suggestion about grouping them together on the front page, or having a dedicated column / section for episode reviews, to avoid clutter.

Also, for the discussion threads, can you add a prefix in the Subject for these episode reviews?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This format seems kinda interesting. I'm kinda curious to see what some of the newer reviewers on the site. Also, how do I turn off the update on the feed for this? I tend to check mostly the ones I'm interested in rather than most or all of them. I tried finding the feed but can't turn this part off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Would a consideration be given to place review discussions under their own forum section, instead of Talkback?

I like the idea of this review method, but I'm concerned the discussion of the daily reviews in Talkback will push the interest, articles, and non-daily reviews (Shelf Life, Astro Boy, etc) off the main page too quickly due to the number of shows being discussed.

I don't use the main pages of the site because of the design. I can't change it because I use private browsing mode, which deletes my settings, so I've changed to coming to the forum first.
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
That being said I'm sorry for asking this here and I'm not trying to be negative about this but I don't find the option to exclude the reviews from the main page of the site. Maybe it's really simple and it's just stupidity on my part but I can't seem to find it. Or perhaps I misread the article and that's actually not possible?

Thanks for asking this (and to Zac for answering); it saved me from having to ask the same thing. Since I disagree with the reviewers at least 80% of the time, seeing their opinions on each weekly show would be very annoying to me. The news here is useful, though, and having the news-only option is great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7