• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcement: Welcome to Daily Streaming Reviews!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Giolon wrote:

Are the Episode Review links in the feed always going to link to the show's page rather than link directly to the episode review that was posted?

No, all future review posts will link directly to the episode review. This is just for launch.

Quote:

Beyond that, please consider listing the links to the reviews (both on the show's pages and at the bottom of the articles) in newest to oldest order.

I'll ask about this.

Quote:
Would a consideration be given to place review discussions under their own forum section, instead of Talkback?

I'm going to wait to see if this actually becomes a problem before trying to fix it, but it's a good thing to keep in mind and something I'll keep a close eye on.

Quote:

Also, how do I turn off the update on the feed for this? I tend to check mostly the ones I'm interested in rather than most or all of them. I tried finding the feed but can't turn this part off.

Right now your option is to go to animenewsnetwork.com/news for just news and animenewsnetwork.com/interest for just interest. I'm collecting suggestions about what kind of frontpage options people want for managing this, but please be patient, changes to the frontpage will take some time and we're heading into a 3-day holiday weekend here in the US. Next week at the earliest for any sort of change.

Quote:

I will also echo other's suggestion about grouping them together on the front page, or having a dedicated column / section for episode reviews

I like the idea of grouping them together, but then that makes it impossible for us to post things when they're done. The Preview Guide taught me that people want this sort of content quickly - posting everything just once at the end of each day is going to murder traffic for these entries. If the review of Free is ready at 1pm PST, I'm going to post it at 1pm, not wait until 6pm or however long it's going to take to get the rest of the expected reviews in.

Putting everything in one column isn't going to happen, I can tell you that up front.

Quote:
Also, for the discussion threads, can you add a prefix in the Subject for these episode reviews?

Sure.

wastrel wrote:
Since I disagree with the reviewers at least 80% of the time, seeing their opinions on each weekly show would be very annoying to me.

We did hire 8 new writers for this feature, none of which have ever written reviews for us before. Maybe you'd like one of them? Just sayin'.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Too bad most of these reviewers tend to be overly harsh on things that are not already overrated
MaximumTheHikki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I personally dont like the idea.If it is good or bad is just writers opinion.You can like what i dont a I can like what you dont.Sorry for english.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Welcome aboard to the new folks and glad to see a mix of new and returning ANN staff - that's a lot of anime to watch and review! Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Giolon wrote:

Would a consideration be given to place review discussions under their own forum section, instead of Talkback?

I'm going to wait to see if this actually becomes a problem before trying to fix it, but it's a good thing to keep in mind and something I'll keep a close eye on.

In a similar vein, I'm wondering how this is going to mesh with the official discussion threads in the Anime section. I've noticed that people who don't ever comment in discussions there show up in multi-episode review threads (I assume this is due to preferences in where they spend their time here), and that's a good thing to hear new (to me) voices on a series, but when I do comment in talkback review threads, I feel like I'm just saying all the same stuff I said in the discussion thread, only later. Which makes me tend to lurk instead.

It would be excellent to get everyone together at the same time, and it seems like this could do it, but I'm not quite sure how. If you put it in the anime forum, in place of the discussion threads (?), then will those front page only people still show up? If it's only in the talkback section, will there now be two separate weekly discussions happening for each episode?

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well, but I hope someone can figure out what I'm asking. Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
In a similar vein, I'm wondering how this is going to mesh with the official discussion threads in the Anime section. I've noticed that people who don't ever comment in discussions there show up in multi-episode review threads (I assume this is due to preferences in where they spend their time here), and that's a good thing to hear new (to me) voices on a series, but when I do comment in talkback review threads, I feel like I'm just saying all the same stuff I said in the discussion thread, only later. Which makes me tend to lurk instead.

It would be excellent to get everyone together at the same time, and it seems like this could do it, but I'm not quite sure how. If you put it in the anime forum, in place of the discussion threads (?), then will those front page only people still show up? If it's only in the talkback section, will there now be two separate weekly discussions happening for each episode?

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well, but I hope someone can figure out what I'm asking. :D

This is something I'm interested in as well. Most of the series are going to have pre-existing discussion threads, and Talkback threads for the daily (weekly, rather) episodes is just going to split the discussion up like crazy, especially if each review generates a new Talkback thread.

It would likely take a bit more work than the usual auto-linking to the forums, but what I'd like to see is the reviews posted in the discussion threads, with the forum link being the page that the review is on, so that the discussion could continue from there.

The only problem I see with this, is if people want to discuss the review itself, rather than the episode, there'd be multiple discussions going on in the threads.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The other problem I can think of is that reviews tend to have what lots of people consider to be spoilers. That's a burden the reviewers don't need, but if the review is mixed with the discussion, it would be odd to tell people to mark spoilers that the review already spoiled. Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

It would likely take a bit more work than the usual auto-linking to the forums, but what I'd like to see is the reviews posted in the discussion threads, with the forum link being the page that the review is on, so that the discussion could continue from there.

You mean posting these reviews in the forum threads for discussion instead of publishing them like every other piece of editorial?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a good Idea, I'm glad you guys took 'hate watching' into account and took measures to prevent it because while I'm sure we all like a good crazy rant every once and a while it'd get annoying week in and week out with a chance of it happening every day. As is this is a nice way to set up discussion for those who want it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:

Also, how do I turn off the update on the feed for this? I tend to check mostly the ones I'm interested in rather than most or all of them. I tried finding the feed but can't turn this part off.

Right now your option is to go to animenewsnetwork.com/news for just news and animenewsnetwork.com/interest for just interest. I'm collecting suggestions about what kind of frontpage options people want for managing this, but please be patient, changes to the frontpage will take some time and we're heading into a 3-day holiday weekend here in the US. Next week at the earliest for any sort of change.

Suggestion: add a "custom" option to the front page that lets people pick multiple feeds they want. For example, I know some people don't care for Interest articles, so the custom option would let them pick everything but Interest if they wanted. Or everything but Interest and Reviews, or just Interest and News, or whatever particular combo they wanted.

I'm not totally sure about the best interface to use for the custom option though.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Suggestion: add a "custom" option to the front page that lets people pick multiple feeds they want. For example, I know some people don't care for Interest articles, so the custom option would let them pick everything but Interest if they wanted. Or everything but Interest and Reviews, or just Interest and News, or whatever particular combo they wanted.

I'm not totally sure about the best interface to use for the custom option though.

This is what I'd like but I don't work on the backend or design the frontpage so I have no idea how feasible it would be. I'll be talking with Dan about potential filters next week, but this to me seems like the most obvious solution (knowing full well I have no idea how to implement it so my opinion is based on magic dreams and end user unicorn farts).

We'll see! I will keep everyone posted.
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been asked but:

Is it possible to give a breakdown of the review score for each episode instead of giving a single score? It would be nice to see them since it does give more depth on what the author was expecting and whether he/she was satisfied with the episode instead of a single grade from "A~F"

My hope is to see something like:
Animation: Failed/meets/exceed author's expectations
BGM: Failed/meets/exceed author's expectations
Story: Failed/meets/exceed author's expectations

I am not a big fan of the "A-F/out of 10" scores since we do not see the full reasoning/rationale of the grading (even when reading the review) without a comprehensive criteria/checklist from each author.

Having a failed/meets/exceed expectations would cut most of the arguing of scores since this is the author's opinion and the weight of the score will be more lightly taken.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dessa wrote:

You mean posting these reviews in the forum threads for discussion instead of publishing them like every other piece of editorial?

No, more of them being re-posted. So there's the review, and the review is ALSO posted in the forums, so that the discussion thread could be linked from that post onward as a "placeholder" for where the discussion starts.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
New writers! Reviews of streaming shows! Yay! As a consumer, we've lost Bamboo's unified voice present in The Stream, but I think it's better this way. 31 shows is ~13 hours of video alone every week, not counting writing, editing, and proofreading, so we gain new voices, Bamboo stays a little saner, and we keep Shelf Life.

I also usually don't bother discussing shows in the forums, usually sticking with comments on Crunchyroll instead; maybe this will change that some.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The links back to Crunchyroll and Funimation aren't affiliate links. Ethical or technical reason to not do that? I totally wouldn't have a problem with you guys monetizing your hiring binge this way, though I suppose it's inevitable someone will get all butthurt over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7