• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: GLASSLIP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
To anyone still watching the show: did the show attempt to explain Kakeru's strange behavior or family situation yet? That was the most intriguing part to me, but I suspect the show will keep it an enigma on purpose. Wasted potential of a good storyline and character development there.

Yes, it has gone into his family dynamic. Part of what the reviewer missed, or at least failed to mention, is that spoiler[the classical music that is constantly being played in the show, and are his primary trigger for his future hearing ability, are pieces played by Kakeru's mother, who is an internationally known concert pianist. It appears that his parents are still married, or at least still very friendly, but his mother never stays in one place for very long, either due to the nature of her job or the nature of her personality, Kakeru is not sure which. Kakeru views the "Fragments of the future", as he calls them, as missing portions of himself. Things he needs to become a whole person instead of the fragmented, broken person he currently is. Over the course of the last few episodes Kakeru has started to ONLY hear Touko's voice in the fragments. He asks Touko, once in a fragment experienced with Touko and once in person later the same episode, "Have I found it?" He is obviously referring to Touko, since she is (other than the fragment with his voice) the only thing he hears in his messages from the future at this point. It paints a clear picture of a boy who has never known a real home; who traveled with his mother, flitting from place to place at the whim of her career or her fancy; and who literally has split himself into separate, distinct personalities (kind of a multiple personality type of thing) due to his isolation and fear. There is a scene where there are several "Kakeru's" sitting in the forest talking to each other. It is a bit of a WTF moment, but it also explains a lot about him. The cold, sarcastic persona he usually shows is just the shell. He hides anything that could feel pain or get hurt down under the surface. Meeting Touko has changed that, leading him to expose himself more, not only to Touko, but to Yuki and Yana as well.]
Agent355 wrote:
I also thought the show had two comedic bright spots: the older sister of one of the kids (forgot his name) who drives like a maniac and teases him, and Touko's dad's anecdotes. Did the show make anything of them, or were they pushed further in the background to allow the love geometrics to take center stage?

The dad's anecdotes have diminished, but they crop up occasionally. The most recent one I remember was a serious facepalm moment, with him implying that women throw themselves at him on a regular basis, with the three women in the household pretty much rolling their eyes with a "sure... riiiiight" kind of reaction mixed with an "Ewwwww! Dad! Gross!" aspect.

Hiro's older sister has been a major supporting character. Her driving hasn't been her only aspect. Her lack of concern for her brother's privacy; her access to information from the hospital due to her doctor (or nurse or something) boyfriend; and her general meddling, messing with her brother, yet concerned for him at the same time nature have all been well used for both comedic and, occasionally, heartfelt impact. She is one of the better characters in the show.
Myst000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Well I am obviously in the minority of people who are enjoying this show.

Seems like I am part of it as well! To be honest, I'm actually really surprised to see so much negative criticism over a show which I would have considered to be my favourite of the season.

It seems that most people here are criticizing the how for what it is as a genre. They complain about the Love Decahedron and the huge focus on "pointless romantic drama", when it is pretty much set from the beginning that this show will be involving lots of romance and love drama. NagiAsu technically had the same type of beginning as well; obviously it had other themes involved as well, but this doesn't mean that Glasslip doesn't have other themes either. They are just a lot less "in your face" than in NagiAsu.

In episode 10, for example, Kakeru's wandering around, noted in these comments as "doing nothing and being boring", seemed to me more like he was just trying to come across his feelings, and to figure out whether he really liked Touko and, mostly, if it was okay to like her (because he was afraid that she would leave him as others did in the past). This may have a very strong "love theme" attached to it, but there is also a huge psychological aspect involving getting over past troubles and fears which is undertoned here. This is one example of many, and it seems that Glasslip flourishes in undertones and bigger themes, a lot more than NagiAsu in some ways. Not much is said, indeed, especially since we have a character like Kakeru who just seems quiet and boring, but this doesn't necessarily mean that nothing is happening; we just need to read between the lines to be able to understand what is happening.

This "reading in-between the lines" thing is where I believe Glasslip excels at. There is obviously something going on at face value (although, as expressed by the writer, it sometimes seems slow and inconsistent), but there is so much more going on in-depth, and this depth is so realistic to real life, that it just doesn't make sense to say that Glasslip is inconsistent, dumb and unrealistic. Yes, it has a lot of romantic drama, but if you've watched a P.A. Works romance like True Tears and NagiAsu and expected this to focus less on romance and more on things that weren't focused on at all in the show, then it's obvious that the disappointment would follow, because the show has a huge "Romance" tag attached to it, after all.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I agree with the analysis of the reviewer. I also liked the scene with Yanagi and Yukinari. And I hope the last scene means something important and resolute going forward. I remain, perhaps unrealistically, confident that Glasslip will end in a good note.

The reviewer did not mention it (in the review for episode 10), but I think something interesting might happen with Hina; well, I hope it happens.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, my tastes are completely different. I still rank this near the bottom of the piles of the season, but I consider it a lot better than the frustrating melodrama of Nagi no Asakura. Go figure. Laughing
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yanagi and Yuki are the only reasons why I haven't dropped it yet. If the anime focused only on those two, it would be much better. They relationship is pretty complex compared to Touko and David.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
One of the shining moments of episode 10 was the exchange between Touko's parents about the dress Hina got from Yana. The dad, trying to get his opinion of his little girl wearing a dress that made her look so adult, and the mother verbally stiff-arming him at every turn. Just shut up and drink your coffee, dad! Let the girl enjoy her pretty new dress!

As the father of a girl in 8th grade who recently bought a classic "little black dress" for her orchestra concert, I really sympathize with the dad. There are just phrases that come to mind when your little girl comes out looking that pretty. It is painful and joyous all at the same time. (The fact that my daughter has NEVER liked to wear dresses and chose that over a black on black outfit with pants for her orchestra uniform was a real shock...)

It is the small touches like that, and, as the reviewer commented, the moments like the Yana x Yuki reunion at home, that make me love this anime. Much like Tari Tari before it, Glasslip gets more mileage out of a glance and subtle posture change than most shows get out of a five minute section of dialog. (For a fantastic example of this in Tari Tari, see the scene with Saki and Taichi after Taichi's badminton tournament loss. spoiler[It is subtle, yet powerful, in its use of gestures, posture, and visual cues to suggest that Saki is attracted to Taichi and comes across as practically seductive, while on the surface she is consoling him over his loss and helping him move forward with a positive attitude. I analyzed it once and almost every movement by Saki can be found in lists of "female non-verbal courting behavior". It is masterfully done, suggesting what is to come later in the anime without ever voicing a word of the attraction that she feels, and is encouraging in Taichi. Indeed, it is never voiced, except by Konatsu when she teases Taichi in the last segment of the show, as they portrayed that exchange in a dialog free music montage near the end.]
This is one of the strengths of the PA Works animation team. They are experts at the subtle art of non-verbal communication.
momopeach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
@zensunni

I really like the show too. Maybe it's the art and music. My first PA work as well.

I do love seeing just how Kakeru changed the entire group's dynamic. Well, I guess Yana would have been the one otherwise.
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people that actually like this show. I think its been getting better in these later episodes. I totally understand not enjoying the story but everything about the show is quite competent. This show definitely has depth to its characters and their relationships. So if you're interested in teenage romance stuff I would recommend it. If slice of life is not your thing its going to be boring though.

And honestly Sachi's feelings were quite obvious to me very early on. Remember when she talked to Hiro's sister about the glass Touko gave her, and her just being so jealous of Kakeru. And I don't think it was a cop-out that she just wanted to be friends with Touka. I think her character had a nice arc. It would have been super messed up for her to just lead Hiro on this entire time. I was hoping her feelings for him were genuine. It seems that Sachi was hoping to have them both in her life and love them without having to confront them. If its clear Touka doesn't share her feelings but Hiro does I can see why Sachi was frustrated by this and desperate to keep Touka away from Kakeru. So I'm glad she isn't desperately pursuing Touka and that they can still be friends and that Hiro and Sachi can be happy together.
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I should have dropped this anime...
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I didn't make it all the way through this one. I found myself nodding off, and I was half asleep while Touko was chasing some missing chicken, then all of a sudden the chicken turned into Kakeru! I woke up at that, because whoa what a turn for the series to take! I was finally interested. Then I found out I dreamt the only interesting part. Sad
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I continue to like and enjoy this show. Episode 11 has some elements of closure, and it kept cementing Glasslip as my favorite series of Summer 2014 (sorry Terror in Resonance).

I hope the finale is solid.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesomest little sister ever.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I feel that PA Works is redeeming themselves with this series starting at episode 10. Every pieces are starting to put in together and I'm just here crossing my fingers that they won't screw up the ending.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Geez, this anime is so vague and confusing that I've decided that Touko is seeing the future of Nagi no Asakura and the salt flake snow, because that makes about as much sense as anything else they've said or done so far.

I mean, they DID throw in the sea slug. I think it was Hina's cell phone background, it was only there for a second.

I didn't see any mention of this but if someone already came up with this idea, sorry! It's a joke theory but I somehow wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with something silly like this.

Last edited by MagicallyDelicious on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Awesomest little sister ever.

Seconded

I really enjoyed this episode. I was initially put off by Kakeru's weirdness but its nice to see his character opening up in these later episodes. I'm wondering if there's something else we'll learn about Sachi or if her cryptic speaking in the woods was just her being eccentric. I'm a bit confused about where Yukinari and Yanagi are, they seem to be back to friends at the moment with Yukinari trying to decide how he feels. I wonder what he has to say to Touko, but he probably just wants to check in with his feelings about her.

This show had an incredibly slow build up, but I feel like I know the characters so well because we got to see them just hanging out so much. The beautiful presentation of the show kept me coming back before but I'm pretty invested in the story now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5