• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: GLASSLIP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
The primary comic relief, Touko's family, shined in this episode, especially Hina.

The emotional content of this episode is pretty strong. How often do you actually see any romantic pair in anime, or any medium for that matter, discuss their relationship and whether it is really love with that amount of openness? I think I can count them on two hands at the most. In almost all cases that type of discussion happens with the hypotenuse, within a few episodes or when the romantic lead tells them they are really in love with the other boy/girl. Sure, there is the occasional case of the "person who knows nothing of love", but they usually don't talk about it with the object of their confusion. It is usually with comic buddy #1.

With the back story set up for Kakeru, it is a very realistic dilemma that has been crafted for him: Stay, and risk another bout of "sudden, expected loneliness" if things don't work out and he ends up an outsider in school because, let's face it, if he makes Touko sad he won't have a single friend in this town. (With the possible exception of Touko's dad, who might welcome either of his daughters becoming less open to members of the opposite sex due to a sad relationship...) Or leave with his mother and risk losing the person who very well might be "his other half" in a very real sense. The video that goes with his music; the story his sound track plays behind; the light to his echos in the dark; the thread that ties the fragments of his personality into a solid, whole, complete person.

I guess I don't see why people have trouble understanding this story or think it is too shallow. I think it may be to subtle for some, but the depth is there. Almost every episode I get the urge to go back and rewatch it again from the beginning, thinking that I will see things I missed based on the events of the episode at hand.

Then again, I really liked RDG: Red Data Girl, too, and it was just as subtly presented as Glasslip. Challenging stories aren't for everyone...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Where is the review for episode 12?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Matt's probably watching it for the nth time saying what most other people were when we finished, which was "WTF just happened?"

Someone explained to me what was going on. All I can say is, there's subtle, and there's so subtle the anime isn't getting the point across adequately. But, I'll see if the last episode makes anything more clear before deciding which kind of anime this is.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Unfortunately due to personal circumstances Matt had to resign.

We have Theron Martin taking over Akame ga Kill, but it obviously doesn't make sense for anyone to take over for Glasslip or Argevollen, which are concluding in a week's time.

I apologize that we weren't able to finish out these two shows - we'll make sure full series reviews of both of them happen.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I hope everything is OK for him! And I'll look forward to seeing your review of the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear that Matt had to resign. I didn't agree with his take on Akame ga KILL! but I thought his work on GLASSLIP and Argevollen was good.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
It is a shame that we won't get an individual review of episode 12. It was... surreal and pretty awesome, IMO.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that Matt had to resign. I didn't agree with his take on Akame ga KILL! but I thought his work on GLASSLIP and Argevollen was good.

Second this.

As for all you guys writing WTF about this anime: spoiler[Kakeru is not real.] Start from there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting theory, HaruhiToy, but I'm not sure you are right. There definitely seemed to be an imprint of a tent in the yard.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's an interesting theory, HaruhiToy, but I'm not sure you are right. There definitely seemed to be an imprint of a tent in the yard.

As much as I would like to believe this theory, I also think there are way too many proofs to the contrary. Unless the answer is some kind of spoiler[collective hallucination...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked how the show turned out. My takeaway was that spoiler[even if the connection Touka and Kakeru shared wasn't love or they couldn't be together forever, the time they spent together is still significant. It seemed like they helped each other grow up and learn more about themselves.]
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

We have Theron Martin taking over Akame ga Kill, but it obviously doesn't make sense for anyone to take over for Glasslip or Argevollen, which are concluding in a week's time.

I apologize that we weren't able to finish out these two shows - we'll make sure full series reviews of both of them happen.

Sad to hear about Matt, hope it's nothing serious...

But i'm a bit surprised that Argevollen is supposed to conclude next week. I've always been under the impression that the show would run for 24 eps. since various sites have listed it as such. Or did they all get that info from the same wrong source?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I hope Argevollen isn't ending next week. I'm quite enjoying it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Blood- wrote:

As much as I would like to believe this theory, I also think there are way too many proofs to the contrary. Unless the answer is some kind of spoiler[collective hallucination...]

The key to this movie gimmick (which I am not really fond of but can see when it is done well) is to realize after it is all over who the imaginary person actually interacted with. This was done to the ultimate degree in The Sixth Sense with Bruce Willis.

In this case all of Touko's friends can see "David" (that nick-name must have greater significance) at one point or another, and of course he interacts with his putative parents and those odd copies of himself. Touko may have some ability to project her figment into the reality around her, but eventually the need for Kakeru passes and he disappears. And the tent with him. This story doesn't attempt to recreate the effect exactly that the Sixth Sense did.

Nor is it like Mulholland Drive which is rife with imaginary characters and some had no connection to reality at all (like the "cowboy").

There must have been some need for Touko to create David but I can't say what it is. This could be because Glasslip was too subtle, too poorly written, or I wasn't paying enough attention. At this point I am hoping someone with more time on their hands could go back and sift out all the clues that are probably there.

The alternative to this theory is that the result is a fairly trite exposition of Touko's fantasy life or possibly schizophrenia. I'll admit that it could just be that but I hope not. The artwork (if not the animation) was so pretty in this anime (they sure loved that tile-arched bridge didn't they) that it kept us watching just for that. It would be a shame if that was all there was.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clarifying what happened Zac.

Blood- wrote:
Oh man, I hope Argevollen isn't ending next week. I'm quite enjoying it.

I am pretty sure it is 24 episodes long. I am enjoying Argevollen as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5