• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo Brings Back Original Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
^ I don't think Kiyone had much part in the OVA, if at all...

Just Universe and Tokyo, I believe...

Who says this has to just connect to the OVA series? Why not the entire franchise? This is probably another new universe anyway.

I do wish we'd see some kind of spinoff or continuation of Tenchi Universe. It's my favorite series in the franchise, and IMO, far superior to the OVAs on a story-telling basis (the OVAs did have much better animation though and prettier art). It was more simple, more fun, and less weird (it's plot even had a beginning, middle, and end!). Also, Kiyone. Nuff said. Razz

Kiyone's only role in the OVAs was in Mihoshi's story in the Mihoshi Special. She was still her usual badass self, but it just wasn't enough.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yause

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
jibrilmudo wrote:
But for an anime with 250 minutes (I'm guessing 225 minutes if 30 seconds combined for opener/credits), which comes out equivalent to 10 22.5 minute episodes = what exactly are they doing with such a huge cast?

It makes sense if we step back a year and consider this:
http://www.aplix-ip.com/?p=4413

Let's see:

Production committee bypassed? Yes.

Advertising through anime? Sort of. The system is intended to attract print publishers, who would presumably commission a promotional short for their manga. However, the city of Takahashi (which is providing only partial funding) may be the best catch for now. Perhaps the iconic stature of Tenchi Muyo, along with the 20th anniversary tagline (pilgrimage time!), won them over.

Three animators dedicated to delivering all the animation for a single character (thus minimizing the number of corrections required to reconcile differences in character art)? Only AIC knows, but that could explain the large character cast. More characters means that they can further divide labor while maintaining a "three animators per character" rule.

I don't know what form the story will take, but I doubt it's as simple as taking ten cohesive 25 minute scripts and dividing them into five minute chunks. Perhaps it'll have more of a "comic strip" feel, with short, relatively contained scenarios told within an episode or two (but with an overarching conflict interwoven throughout).
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
That makes sense, thanks Yause.
antvasima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
I am much happier, now that the original cast will be in the show. It would still be better if we almost exclusively focused on them, and if this was a continuation of the OVA, but this is much better than nothing. Smile
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Well that gives me a reason to watch the show now, but i hope that they don't be creative and recast the characters. Please keep the original seiyuu Smile
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
Of course they had to sexualize Sasami and Washu. Good going.
antvasima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
I agree that I dislike sexualisation of characters with underage bodies.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Well that gives me a reason to watch the show now, but i hope that they don't be creative and recast the characters. Please keep the original seiyuu Smile

Most of them probably don't do much work anymore but yeah, that'd be nice! I think Yokoyama Chisa (Sasami) still does voice work today (she's Bisky in Hunter x Hunter 2011 and such).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Of course they had to sexualize Sasami and Washu. Good going.

What is wrong with (sexualizing) Washu? in the original canon, she is an alien (that is several hundred years old) that is the mother of Ryoko, hell she was always doing something interpretably perverted so why not just have her clothes express that side of her as well?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
antvasima wrote:

I also agree with that. I'd would hope the a government body funding this thing will make sure they don't go to the dark route that their city backing. I've had enough of that, but we outsiders (not in Japan) don't have much to say on it.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
antvasima wrote:

Washu only had a child-like body by choice. She doesn't look like a kid, based on these character designs.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, no Noike, so there's an improvement from OVA 3 right there.

i wouldnt necessarily say that since she did had a part in that series though the main support characters were of course tokimi and her sisters.

Quote:
He's genetically predisposed to getting into trouble.

and what does that supposed to mean?

isnt the whole point of a harem series is to have girls swoon over him? unless the experiment that washu did gave tenchi is similar to the same kind of bad luck that seina has and its spreading like some kind of plague.

Graceful Nanami wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Most of them probably don't do much work anymore but yeah, that'd be nice! I think Yokoyama Chisa (Sasami) still does voice work today (she's Bisky in Hunter x Hunter 2011 and such).

not a chance. the chances that the cast from both the japaneese and english versions of the ryo-oki OVAs get recasted for the Ai series is very slim to none.especially since most of them no longer does voice work. the only ones i know of so far for both version is of course miss chisa and mona marshall. but it will cost funi a crapload of money to get her to reprise her role again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
For once, Ryoko's hair doesn't look atrocious. There, I said it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
For once, Ryoko's hair doesn't look atrocious. There, I said it.
No now it's even worse. Rolling Eyes
This is nothing but an attempt to try and polish this turd by sculpting the original characters with the same material. It's still a fail to me and I ain't buying it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, no Noike, so there's an improvement from OVA 3 right there.

i wouldnt necessarily say that since she did had a part in that series though the main support characters were of course tokimi and her sisters.

Her "part" was being a Mary Sue Yamato Nadeshiko. The third OVA was an abomination that destroyed the franchise creatively, and Noike was a huge part of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5