• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
;D Nope, don't agree. They sound completely different to me but maybe that's because all he really listens to is Japanese.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether to agree with him or not when it comes to Japanese voice acting (since I don't speak the language fluently). So anyone agree with him?? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I would normally say he's a douchebag, but when you stop to think about it, it really is annoying to hear all those Nana Mizuki (Hinata Hyuga and Moka Akashiya) knock-offs. I really dislike that high pitched voice they give overly cute girly girl characters nowadays. I understand they're supposed to be cute, but when the majority of the characters are in their mid-to-late teens, the voice just doesn't work except in those rare cases. Basically, they've templated voiced to go with character traits.

But having said that, a part of me still says 'Here he goes again!'

Last edited by the-antihero on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
That's only because they are thrown into cutesy leads and the voices sound forced and sometimes the same in the terms of pitch, there's at least 4 VAs now that can mimic Rie Kugimiya's tsundere typecasting near perfect if not perfectly and already 3 that can do near perfect Yui Ogura imitations in their voice acting.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd agree with that to some extend but there are stand-outs here and there, really. Some of them I can recognize instantly but lots of others less so.

I don't really have a strong opinion on this topic actually. I do adore voice acting (both japanese and english in terms of anime) so I tend to be easily satisfied with the voices.

I know what Tomino means but I'm gonna be frank and say that I don't really care a whole lot.

What I do have to say is that Kana Hanazawa is everywhere these days! Please give someone else a chance Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't know whether to agree with him or not when it comes to Japanese voice acting (since I don't speak the language fluently). So anyone agree with him?? Confused

I feel the same way. I'm not sure if my inability to pick out voice actors is my own fault or Japan's.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
If by "All of their voices sounded the same to me" he means to say there are a ton of cutesy female voices and another ton of cool sounding male voices in nowadays anime, ok, but they all do not sound the same most of the time (to me at least) and the reason there is so much cute/cool sounding voices is that their roles demand such kind of voice acting.

I would not be surprised if what he really means is "you need to sound like the voice actors from the animes of my youth" Rolling Eyes
konqueror

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Will this old man ever stop spouting crap out of his mouth? All he does is talk sh*t whenever he has the chance. I still remember that time he bullied Arai Satomi.

This man, this geezer, is utter garbage.

mangamuscle wrote:
I would not be surprised if what he really means is "you need to sound like the voice actors from the animes of my youth" Rolling Eyes

I bet this is the reason for all this trash-talking, after all, this elder still lives in the 60-70s.

Last edited by konqueror on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kind of amusing to read his comments, since just a few days ago I heard Rie Kugimiya's voice work in P4Golden anime. It made me once again think that not only do all her characters sound pretty much the same, but they also sound like they're six years old at most. And they are much older than that, as far as I'm aware. (Edit: but I'm biased - the whiny edge in her voice makes my ears bleed.)

Last edited by Tenebrae on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the old man on the porch! Laughing

Really though, I kind of understand where he's getting at: a lot of female seiyuu these days are actually singers, and the males are good-looking studs that could pass for models. That's why they're popular.

They're not the legends like Wakamoto and Hayashibara, but I think if they keep at voice acting, they'll get more respect as they get older.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
While there's a case of "They'll all sound the same to me" cases in anime nowdays, I'd say that's a problem of director, rather than a voice actors. As weird as it sounds, video games sometimes are much better in this and some voice actors might really shine there. Oh, and the fact that 70% (at least) of anime characters are practically the same doesn't help either.
So in other words, when there's some really unique anime with a good director, characters's voices are usually unique there as well.

Last edited by KutovoiAnton on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I feel the same way. I'm not sure if my inability to pick out voice actors is my own fault or Japan's.

No don't blame yourself, you have to be fluent in Japanese in order to tell if he's correct or not. As I stand, I can't say if he's correct or not. But I do agree with thekingsdinner's quote on how some Japanese VAs sound similar to one another. I can recognized some VAs voice like Mamiko Noto, Romi Park, and Nana Mizuki's voice because their voices are unique to me when I listen to it. But others tend to sound a little similar, but then again, I'm not fluent in Japanese so I can't jump to conclusion yet if his assessment is correct or not.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:
Will this old man ever stop spouting crap out of his mouth? All he does is talk sh*t whenever he has the chance. I still remember that time he bullied Arai Satomi.

This man, this geezer, is utter garbage.

mangamuscle wrote:

I bet this is the reason for all this trash-talking, after all, this elder still lives in the 60-70s.

The older he is the more importance you should place on his opinions. The world doesn't revolve around you and certainly this veteran will know more about the industry than you ever will. Have some respect, even if you do not agree.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and the fact that 70% (at least) of anime characters are practically the same doesn't help either.

Something like that, but the bigger strike is against the Sid Mead art choice, something that Tomino wished he had either vetoed or request a redesign and let it slide is a situation much more awkward to handle than say having open critique on current Voice Acting trends.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
p.s.
How about giving more depth to the characters in new series? I am not a gundam fan and do not plan to see reconguista, but where are the cool/strong oneesans? where are the characters that require some range of voice so they can go from cool to broken to hilarant? The voice actor for Happosai (God bless his soul) could do that in the middle of one sentence! But if the anime industry keeps pumping archetypes like bags of Doritos, then he should start whining the other way around, not to the fans, but to writers, directors and producers, heck, make the Gundam franchise an example of characters with REAL depth or stop yapping!

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8