• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Basically this. He's been giving a lot of interviews recently since G-Reco is coming up and interviewers have been asking him questions and he gives his honest answers. Of course ANN always seems to cherry pick the more controversial ones for their interest article because it's solid click bait plain and simple. Even then though this article particularly seems like it's pretty blatantly trying to steer opinion on his opinion in a negative direction giving it more of a column than interest feel.

That said I don't agree with Tomino is this matter, but the whole lets pile on "crazy ol' Tomino" for having an opinion trend that this article is clearly trying to take advantage of is getting a little bit old at the same time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Tomino made his iPhone in the late 70s/early 80s. It was called Gundam.

That is called a one trick pony, Tomino is not a visionary (which is the kind of person one hears when they speak because you know that whatever they say is relevant).

Quote:
As for the issue with the voice actors, all I'm saying is that he's not just shooting the bull here. It looks like the only reason he brought this up in the first place is because he's been having to work with them and he can't get what he wants out of them because they've all been conditioned to deliver there lines the same way.

Which brings us to another topic that enrages me. The elephant in the room that so far no one has mentioned. They could get the quality voice acting they yearn for their project, but guess what? They hire new talent (because it is cheap) and expect it to perform like a seasoned professional. It is the equivalent of buying a <insert> and saying out loud it is a piece of crap because it is does not perform like a Lamborghini and on top of it think it is the cars fault.

I know that unlike cars humans beings can evolve, but to expect them to do so in the course of a few weeks (instead of years) and if they do still pay them the newbie salary and if they dare ask for more money they will no doubt get ANOTHER newbie to chastise Anime hyper
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
While I do agree that he is an important industry figure, I wonder at what age does he consider "young" to end at. Personally, I consider that to be until 30 (This applies to me at I turn 28 on Sep. 4). Then, I consider 31-65 to be middle aged/senior and 65+ as elderly.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
As someone who spent 2 months studying in Japan, it does sometimes bother me how unnatural a lot of VA work can sound. It can get extremely jarring at times. Sometimes the only roles that really sound good to me come from children. Or adults palying children, which consistently fools me.

That said, super outlandish, over the top actors like Hiroshi Kamiya can have unique and entertaining performances. Even if he's kind of the typecast Johnny Depp of Japanese VAs...
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
Tomino made his iPhone in the late 70s/early 80s. It was called Gundam.

That is called a one trick pony, Tomino is not a visionary (which is the kind of person one hears when they speak because you know that whatever they say is relevant).

Quote:
As for the issue with the voice actors, all I'm saying is that he's not just shooting the bull here. It looks like the only reason he brought this up in the first place is because he's been having to work with them and he can't get what he wants out of them because they've all been conditioned to deliver there lines the same way.

Which brings us to another topic that enrages me. The elephant in the room that so far no one has mentioned. They could get the quality voice acting they yearn for their project, but guess what? They hire new talent (because it is cheap) and expect it to perform like a seasoned professional. It is the equivalent of buying a <insert> and saying out loud it is a piece of crap because it is does not perform like a Lamborghini and on top of it think it is the cars fault.

I know that unlike cars humans beings can evolve, but to expect them to do so in the course of a few weeks (instead of years) and if they do still pay them the newbie salary and if they dare ask for more money they will no doubt get ANOTHER newbie to chastise Anime hyper

Since you clearly know more about Tomino's career and voice acting then I do I concede defeat.

Kadmos1 wrote:
While I do agree that he is an important industry figure, I wonder at what age does he consider "young" to end at. Personally, I consider that to be until 30 (This applies to me at I turn 28 on Sep. 4). Then, I consider 31-65 to be middle aged/senior and 65+ as elderly.

Thats a good question. I've heard people say that he said he was making Reconguista in G for children but I wonder what he considers a child. I wouldn't be surprised if it was any one under the age of 20 or 25.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Reads headline.

Glances at post count.

TOMITROLLED!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LrViaPq7M

The utter disrespect for this legendary director in this thread is sickening. As soon as a pillar of anime like Tomino or Miyazaki says something even approaching controversial, the mouth breathers immediately turn on them with vitriol.

Hell, all Miyazaki said was that children might benefit from going outside now and then, and the atom wastes rioted. Tomino's just talking about voice actors in general, FFS.

Don't wanna be disrespected, don't say something stupid. The decision to give respect is MINE; it is a privilege, not a right and Tomino has not earned that privilege, especially since I find that his creations have worked in SPITE of him, not because of him. Heck, when most of the good stuff about Gundam had nothing to do with him and I found everything he DID work on to be either boring or just full of itself, I can't help but feel the man's reputation is overblown.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are the most consistently highly praised parts of the Gundam franchise, and they were Tomino's babies. Both shows are masterpieces, so Gundam succeeded in spite of him? I don't think so. People shelled out money to see Zeta Gundam compilations decades after the show went off the air. That they were messy is besides the point. Tomino has the juice of the Gundam franchise, always has, always will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
LET'S ALL PRAISE THE MASTERMIND BEHIND BYSTON WELL SAGA!!!

Sure buddy... whatever.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The original Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are the most consistently highly praised parts of the Gundam franchise...

Yeah, by Gundam fanboys blinded by nostalgia. No-one else thinks the early UC series are the masterpieces that you Tomino apologists claim they are.

Gundam is influential, yes, but so what? Influential =/= good.

danilo07 wrote:
LET'S ALL PRAISE THE MASTERMIND BEHIND BYSTON WELL SAGA!!!

LOL, nice one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The original Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are the most consistently highly praised parts of the Gundam franchise...

Yeah, by Gundam fanboys blinded by nostalgia. No-one else thinks the early UC series are the masterpieces that you Tomino apologists claim they are.

Really? No one?

Not, for example, the entirety of Japan?

Seriously, Zeta Gundam is the most popular Gundam series of all time and had the highest TV ratings. The Zeta compilation movies made money hand over fist 20 years after the show came out. Maybe you think it's overrated, but to say that "no-one else thinks the early UC series are masterpieces" is patently false and ignorant.

Maybe you want to actually point out the supposed faults of the shows instead of just assuming I'm in some minority about my opinion.

There is a lot of bile-inducing ignorance in this thread. Tomino is every bit the pillar of anime that Miyazaki or Oshii are. You can hate him or his work, but he's earned respect. He's forgotten more about anime than you'll ever learn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
And he uses that respect to publicly humiliate the people he works with. What a great guy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There is a lot of bile-inducing ignorance in this thread. Tomino is every bit the pillar of anime that Miyazaki or Oshii are. You can hate him or his work, but he's earned respect.

Ah, now we get back on-topic.

He earned respect for being a one-hit wonder who accidentally stumbled upon a big thing, and then he proceeded to spend the rest of his career making crappy sequels of it and working on god-awful pet projects.

Brain Powerd, anyone? Surely the finest anime of its generation?

penguintruth wrote:
He's forgotten more about anime than you'll ever learn.

All you're saying by using that flawed idiom is that he's forgetful. That argument isn't as strong as you think it is. Simply claiming that someone has forgotten a lot about something doesn't mean that person knows a lot about it right now.

Like, if at his peak he knew 100 AIU (Anime Information Units*) but then he went senile and forgot 90 AIU, and I currently know 30 AIU, then at the moment I know three times as much about anime as he does.

That is still consistent with your statement, so it's not like you can object.

Even if Tomino knew a lot about anime back in the day - and judging by how poor a writer he was, I'd say that is a dubious claim - he shouldn't shift his weight around and criticise younger generations. He was very lucky to start work when anime was still fresh and new, and so it is unfair of him to make claims that anime has grown stale.

I'd say the industry has just grown up and he's still stuck in the past. If anime seiyuu sound the same now - that's highly debatable - it is probably due to increased professionalism. Those same natural-sounding voices from the bygone era that he loves so much were actually embarrassingly amateurish and usually terrible.

Besides, if my untrained Western ears can tell the difference between many of the newbie seiyuu voices out there and be able to accurately recognise some of them out while watching a show, then surely a native speaker would have an even easier time. Maybe he just needs a hearing aid?

Which is a hypothetical thing I just made up to describe how much someone knows about anime.[quote="penguintruth"]Really? No one?

penguintruth wrote:
Not, for example, the entirety of Japan?

Oh don't be silly. I didn't say no-one but you personally, I said no-one but Gundam fanboys.

And LOL at your hilariously misguided belief that Zeta has been watched by everyone in Japan.

penguintruth wrote:
Seriously, Zeta Gundam is the most popular Gundam series of all time and had the highest TV ratings.

No, Zeta is not as popular (or as profitable) as recent shows. And bringing up T.V. ratings is pointless because 1): comparing the 80s when T.V. was king to now is unfair, and 2): T.V. ratings at one point in time don't say anything about enduring popularity.

penguintruth wrote:
The Zeta compilation movies made money hand over fist 20 years after the show came out. Maybe you think it's overrated, but to say that "no-one else thinks the early UC series are masterpieces" is patently false and ignorant.

Nice strawman you've built yourself. You get to keep beating up something I never even said.

Again: no-one but Gundam fanboys.

penguintruth wrote:
Maybe you want to actually point out the supposed faults of the shows instead of just assuming I'm in some minority about my opinion.

I notice that you haven't said what Zeta did right and instead you just insist it is a masterpiece. So how about you go first.

Besides, I've said literally dozens of time to you about in what way Zeta was bad and yet you've never listened to me before. You've given me no indication this time that would suggest that you now have an open mind.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
You have zero argument. You're moving the goal posts because you're desperate to prove Tomino is irrelevant or a one-hit wonder. Tomino has been revolutionizing anime since he came onto the scene. Acknowledge your ignorance and move on.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth, specify where Zeta Gundam is the most popular Gundam. For the USA, I'd think it'd be Gundam Wing that has been the most pop. Gundam title.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he needs to get his ears checked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8