• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I am a strong NaruSaku shipper and will continue to stay that way. Kishi sad in interviews that NaruHina was planned from the start. I am not really buying this. If actions speak louder than words, I would believe that statement more if he did more to develop their relationship in the manga.

By the same token you shouldn't still be hot and bothered over the direction he took with Naruto and Hinata as opposed to Naruto and Sakura as the latter never moved outside of the friendzone and was never going to actually go down that route after that "alleged" pairing was effectively sunk in both part 1 and part 2.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The biggest apart of this episode was when Hinata looks at her father and her father clearly struggling with his feelings on this. That bittersweet face of his got me in the feels pretty hard.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I am a strong NaruSaku shipper and will continue to stay that way. Kishi sad in interviews that NaruHina was planned from the start. I am not really buying this. If actions speak louder than words, I would believe that statement more if he did more to develop their relationship in the manga.

I find it hard to believe that *any* ship was preplanned aside from maybe Sakura x Sasuke, and that was borne more out of "girls are boy-crazy, right? That's decent characterization for a girl in a shonen manga" than any real character consideration. But hey, if you're a die-hard AU shipper, go for broke! That's what fanworks were made for. Wink
shukujo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy with this episode as the finale, it was very entertaining. They were all so grown-UP! And props to whomever designed the outfits, I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of formal wear shinobi cosplay in the near future (altho not of Sakura's outfit, she looked like a lunch lady room my high school cafeteria).

I'm glad they didn't change who shows up at the wedding, and more importantly, who does not. It would have been WAY out of character for a certain someone to have shown up at such a social event, and after the preview from the previous episode, there was a lot of speculation that they might change that. So I'm happy they didn't.

Hinata & Naruto were truly the stars of this episode; the onion-cutting ninjas launched their full assault on me the moment I saw the two of them, looking flawless and beautiful, and Naruto looking SOOOOO much the adult we've all watched him become. No more the hyperactive knucklehead, and I think it suits him nicely.

I've read a lot of complaints regarding not seeing Naruto as Hokage in this episode, but I think it would not make sense, time-wise. We already know from watching the OVA: The Day Naruto Became Hokage that spoiler[Boruto AND Himawari were both already small children when Kakashi hands off the hat to Naruto, since it is their antics that prevent him from being at his own initiation ceremony.] That being the case, I'm guessing that we will see Naruto inducted into the office sometime near or maybe even right at the start of Boruto. See? Problem solved.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
As a hardcore NaruHina shipper I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the finale. It was as heartwarming and full of feels as I thought it would be, but wanted to see Naruto and Hinata actually walk down the isle and give their vowels. I also wanted to see chapter 700 animated. This definitely should've been a 1 hour special, with the first 30 mins being the wedding and the last 30 being chapter 700. Oh well, you can't have everything lol.

Like I said, this episode hit me right in the feels. Naruto looked so handsome and Hinata... Oh my God HINATA LOOKED SENSATIONAL. Overall I give it a 8.5/10. Now all that's left to do is wait for Boruto.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that *any* ship was preplanned aside from maybe Sakura x Sasuke, and that was borne more out of "girls are boy-crazy, right? That's decent characterization for a girl in a shonen manga" than any real character consideration. But hey, if you're a die-hard AU shipper, go for broke! That's what fanworks were made for. Wink

true enough. and from the looks of the recent comiket, their doing that in droves. especially if it invloves sarada via 18+ doujin fanarts. and i kinda have to agree with kadmos1. i am a die hard naruhina fan but even i dont buy the notion that kishimoto had them as a couple planned from the start. from the new team 7 arc up to the end of the gokage summit arc, the series was more or less leaning towards that. then there's that ANN interview where he took backlash from not only from the typical narusaku fans which wasnt surprising, but from his own wife too. it makes you wonder if he himself really wanted that , or was he pressured by his publishing company to have this outcome. that unfortunately is something fans will never ever know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Anyways, it's over, it's the end of an era, and now begins the next decade of anime and this culture as a whole. The leftovers of the 2000s finally end here.

Go to hell... sir! besides there much more manga out there that started earñier or in the 2000's (they are better that 2010's rubbish!!!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Here is my review of the finale: I was reading Naruto before the anime even existed and this was nonsensical. They skipped about every bit you would want to see, most was filler + the usual flashbacks and chap. 700 is still left unadapted. The credits of The Last (lol): Naruto the Movie did a better job of any of this. Not that the main film was much better. Studio Pierrot is a goddamn clown, even Tōei could have put something better together. Grade: D+

At least it ended. No Baruto for me but i´ll accept an OVA based on the Orochimaru special and the 1 ok-ish vol. 1 epilogue. Watch the last few minutes of Six Feet Under to see how a finale can be done.
Not that they need to kill the cast here but such a gradual flash forward could have set up Baruto while diving you insight into the life milestones of the overall cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hard to warm up to a guy who always hides his face.

C'mon i'll warm up to him 100 times.. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So did Konohamaru get some ghost footage of Neji? Very Happy

What would it be a japanese wedding without the presence of ghosts/ancestors past! of course Naruto shipp. it's not that mystical..
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
@Animechic420, BadNewsBlues, and whiskeyii: if Kishi claims a pairing was planned from the start, I will believe when that pairing is more developed. I question his claim on NaruHina and SasuSaku both being planned from the start because those ships were largely one0sided and because Kishi has said other contradicting things about the Narutoverse. Also, the relationship of NaruSaku was a mix of familial/romance. jr240483, thank you for backing me up there.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@Animechic420, BadNewsBlues, and whiskeyii: if Kishi claims a pairing was planned from the start, I will believe when that pairing is more developed. I question his claim on NaruHina and SasuSaku both being planned from the start because those ships were largely one0sided and because Kishi has said other contradicting things about the Narutoverse. Also, the relationship of NaruSaku was a mix of familial/romance. jr240483, thank you for backing me up there.

Have you not watched Naruto: The Last movie yet?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot., not yet. When I meant more developed, I meant actually in the manga since most of the important story events happen in there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@Animechic420, BadNewsBlues, and whiskeyii: if Kishi claims a pairing was planned from the start, I will believe when that pairing is more developed. I question his claim on NaruHina and SasuSaku both being planned from the start because those ships were largely one0sided and because Kishi has said other contradicting things about the Narutoverse.

I understand being skeptical about Naruto and Hinata since that wasn't really given a whole lot of development and focus due to Hinata being on a different team and Hinata not doing much of anything in the story besides pining for Naruto and jobbing horribly to Neji and Pain (both witnessed by Naruto). Whereas Sasuke and Sakura were given a somewhat more higher degree of development and focus by comparison.

Sakura pretty much tells Sasuke she loves him near end of part 1, Naruto whose more or less already aware of this acknowledges it and sets out to rescue Sasuke in part for this reason. Sakura in part 2 basically lies to Naruto about not having feelings for Sasuke to more or less try to show her resolve in stopping him yet can't bring herself to do so and nearly gets killed because of it.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Also, the relationship of NaruSaku was a mix of familial/romance.

....Yeah their relationship on the "romance" front is in the same boat as being one sided as you just described the Naruto& Hinata/Sasuke&Sakura pairing as being. Their relationship was mostly played for laughs due to Naruto being a hopeless suitor and Sakura routinely berating or beating the hell out of him for virtually no reason.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
especially if it invloves sarada via 18+ doujin fanarts.

I (happily) hadn't thought of it previously, but that's... pretty (frighteningly) "normal".
Quote:
there's that ANN interview where he took backlash from not only from the typical narusaku fans which wasnt surprising, but from his own wife too.

To me, that actually makes it MORE plausible, I mean if I had two options and one of them was gonna annoy my wife and the other one wouldn't, I wouldn't be jumping at the "wife annoyance". Also, I'd point out that Naruto-Sakura-Sasuke pretty blatantly parallels Jiraiya-Tsunade-Orochimaru, and while Jiraiya probably had the hots for Tsunade at some point, its pretty obvious that she never really returned the feelings. Like the "matured" Naruto-Sakura relationship, Tsunade obviously always viewed Jiraiya in more of a "sibling" kind of way. Naruto & Sakura clearly BOTH want the other to be happy, and Naruto is fully aware that for Sakura that means he doesn't end up with her.

Also, (IMO) ANYTHING linking Naruto to Sakura from "original" series (ie. pre-Shippuden/time-skip) is ridiculous as a point for resting your argument on, since Naruto is 12 - 13. "Oh, there's no story development pre-time-skip of NaruHina"? OF COURSE THERE ISN'T he's a freaking kid who's barely hit puberty, and you're reading about him beating up bad guys, not "romancing the ladies".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 44 of 44