• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
@ JacobYBM:

I'm not sure whether you're the same guy that frequents the Naruto threads in the anime section of the Toonzone forum or not. Regardless, I want to say that all the information you provided adds an insightful perspective of discussing production of animation in Japanese animation projects that I almost never see otherwise. Too often I see such discussions boil down to, "what happened to the budget", or, "they went all out with the budget". Not that I don't think budget can play a factor to animation production quality. However, seeing how that's what people mostly refer to makes the discussion of Japanese animation production feel limiting, and lazy.

So I just wanted to take the opportunity to express how much I appreciate your input in talkbacks like this one as someone who cares about this kind of thing.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ JacobYBM:

I'm not sure whether you're the same guy that frequents the Naruto threads in the anime section of the Toonzone forum or not. Regardless, I want to say that all the information you provided adds an insightful perspective of discussing production of animation in Japanese animation projects that I almost never see otherwise. Too often I see such discussions boil down to, "what happened to the budget", or, "they went all out with the budget". Not that I don't think budget can play a factor to animation production quality. However, seeing how that's what people mostly refer to makes the discussion of Japanese animation production feel limiting, and lazy.

So I just wanted to take the opportunity to express how much I appreciate your input in talkbacks like this one as someone who cares about this kind of thing.

I am, I am! Very Happy I do concur, it leaves me vehemently displeased to see people contribute a difference in appearance to 'budget'. They're too used to series with no creativity interjected into episodes. Animation is a visual medium, you can tell the story and set the mood without dialogue and other pieces of sound, too. The great thing about Japanese cartoons is that they do not rub out the personal quirks of directors and key animators. American cartoons have done this always because of their different ideological stances and because they have almost always had high enough budgets to do a lot of movement for every episode. Japanese cartoons have had to eek by with little resources for decades, as a result animators and directors have had to learn to create impactful works like MacGuyver would an escape plan--with a piece of bubblegum, electrical tape, and a paper clip. This is how the most influential animator in Japan came to prominence: Kanada Yoshinori. Kanada developed a way to create exciting movement with few drawings. Directors continued to let him take prominence until he was inspiring his peers to improve and new animators to join the industry. Although none of the animators in Episode #375 use the Kanada school of animation, their ability to develop their own style of timing and drawing would likely not be allowed if not for Kanada's example.

Episodes like Episode #375 definitely fall into that category of communicativeness with its melancholy colors and expressive faces. Series Director Date Hayato has always been very supportive of his talented animators and directors. It definitely shows here, given he has allowed Yamashita on three occasions to direct, storyboard, and supervise the animation for episodes with a higher number of drawings and a longer production period. Normally those three jobs would be split across two or three people, so the fact that Yamashita was allowed the time to do all three is indicative of just how much Date believes in supporting talented staff and their abilities to create interesting dramatizations of a story.

Not every episode has the time or talent to pull off what Episode #375 does. That is why the usual character designs and color palates exist: to make the quicker production of episodes by less than talented people possible.
yuqing_s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
i hope to have more episode
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
When we get to the Shippuden #380, we will also have the 600th Naruto TV episode overal.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty far behind on Naruto, (like, two years or so) but I guess I can skip ahead and watch these two episodes since they don't touch upon current canon. Even if the idea of making two episodes to promote a video game is a little cynical, the idea of a Naruto-shaped mech is so wacky that I'm pretty stoked to watch it anyway.

Speaking of long-running shonen series, does anyone know if ANN still planning on having someone do episode reviews for One Piece?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me what the headband numbers signified? I have a feeling it's either a number/word pun (like 7734 upside down) or a game reference, both of which are out of my knowledge base. But I figure you guys know. Smile
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
I was watching television and waiting for the new Pokemon episode and then this started playing and I was like, "Oh, Pokemon is delayed for a week!" I haven't watched a Naruto anime episode in YEARS (I'm only really caught up on the manga in Japan), but I'm a huge fan of the Storm games, so knowing that this was a promo, I sat down to watch it.

1) Frankenstein. They spoofed Frankenstein. It's hard to miss.
2) They spoofed the intro video and late cutscene of Naruto Storm 2 with the destruction of Konoha and Sakura despairing in the wreckage.
3) ...and they spoofed Iron Man. Pretty blatantly. And I had a good laugh at it. There's no way that's not an Iron Man parody. Anime hyper
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Chronologically, this would take place after episode 73 and deviate from the plot, creating it's own alternate timeline.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
I love quirky Naruto episodes. I think they have played it too straight with the drawn out Ninja Wars and I forgot that the series can be very funny when it wants to be.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the headband numbers signified? I have a feeling it's either a number/word pun (like 7734 upside down) or a game reference, both of which are out of my knowledge base. But I figure you guys know. Smile

the number is 7610

I guess its like this

7 = Nana in Japanese, take "Na" from it
6 = Roku, take "Ro"
1 looks like the katakana "To"
0 is famous for the katakana "Ro"

Ro > Robo

so its Naruto Robo in numbers Twisted Evil
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
1 looks like ト? I believe you, but I wouldn't have figured that out in a million years. Smile Wasn't there a different number later (not the speedometer display)?

Thanks!
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
yeah they use 1 for ト there is no other number to say it

the other number is 4649

4 can be spelled yon and shi

6 ro

9 is kyu

it will be the word yo ro shi ku

it means glad to meet you, or take care of me.

the nine tails robot reminds me of Gaiking, also Naruto's Face Open pun is taken from Gaiking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epzpW5SCZzE
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:

7 = Nana in Japanese, take "Na" from it
6 = Roku, take "Ro"
1 looks like the katakana "To"
0 is famous for the katakana "Ro"

Ro > Robo

so its Naruto Robo in numbers Twisted Evil

Close. 6 can also be "ru", and the 1 and 0 are actually "10", which can be pronounced "tou". Thus, Na-ru-to".
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Close. 6 can also be "ru", and the 1 and 0 are actually "10", which can be pronounced "tou". Thus, Na-ru-to".

oh this is news to me, man Japanese has billion meanings for every word.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The Rock Lee spin off was beyond amusing, and any episodes which remind me of it are A+ in my book. The Naruto cast really lends itself well to comedy, which is much needed with how serious the main series is right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 44