• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think he meant the two boys. I guess they got swept away by the current, while our trio was slowed down by wading through the water (dream symbolism!!). Or something. I'd have been looking under the rubble for bodies.

Sakura: "Who could use such a high-level ninjutsu?"

I dunno, a high-level ninja? Rolling Eyes
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think he meant the two boys. I guess they got swept away by the current, while our trio was slowed down by wading through the water (dream symbolism!!). Or something. I'd have been looking under the rubble for bodies.

Sakura: "Who could use such a high-level ninjutsu?"

I dunno, a high-level ninja? Rolling Eyes

Whoops! I was indeed referring to the "tots." I forgot the Konoha 12 are kids again in this story... dream... book... thing. And yeah - why did it never cross anyone's mind that the boys were dead?
LiteKnite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Amen! I'm still not clear why the Bount arcs in Bleach were so universally reviled, other than they were filler that lasted forever. They were definitely not the worst of Bleach. (but that's my opinion - no need for anyone to derail the thread to tell me in detail how truly awful it was. Smile )

But Amy's point about how they've squandered this "gift" by writing head-scratching crap with nothing at stake is dead on. They could have used this time to look more at backstories, or psychological conflicts within characters to reveal new insights...really, the potential was unlimited, and to see them waste it on a recap of the series with minor changes is sad.

From what I remember about the strong aftertaste the Bount arc left was the pointlessness of it all. We had to sit through every enemy vampires backstory after they get beaten mercilessly. And in the end, it lacked impact overall and made you feel dumb for watching it. It was another sign that Bleach started to stray away from the fun factor the first season attracted people to.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 436

Amy wrote:
Having successfully located the impossible-to-kill children, Teams Jiraiya and Asuma face off against the giant salamander-like monsters who make their home beneath the abandoned village. (Why this village has nightmare beasts dwelling beneath its surface is left unexplained, but it makes about as much sense as anything else in this arc.) ... Also, isn't including an account of the Hizashi/Hiashi Hyuga swap in this book kind of risky? I mean, he's practically revealing state secrets, and if this info got out, it could start a war. How wide a release was this thing supposed to get?

I think Amy had fun writing this. Smile I was questioning a lot of the same things myself. But then I have to keep reminding myself that this is a dream about a fictional story, so nothing needs to make sense.

Which leaves me in a quandary about how to feel about this arc: should I be pissed when the plot points and character behaviors make no sense? should I be pissed that they're squandering the opportunity to tell some good stories by writing this dreck instead? should I be pissed about plot holes you could drive a truck through? (I sense a theme developing...) Or should I just shrug it all off as just a dream where anything goes? I keep finding myself annoyed by the storyline, but I think I'm moving toward indifferent acceptance. Instead of "wait, why are they doing that?" I'm now more often just, "oh, so that happened. Huh."
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 436

Amy wrote:
Having successfully located the impossible-to-kill children, Teams Jiraiya and Asuma face off against the giant salamander-like monsters who make their home beneath the abandoned village. (Why this village has nightmare beasts dwelling beneath its surface is left unexplained, but it makes about as much sense as anything else in this arc.) ... Also, isn't including an account of the Hizashi/Hiashi Hyuga swap in this book kind of risky? I mean, he's practically revealing state secrets, and if this info got out, it could start a war. How wide a release was this thing supposed to get?

I think Amy had fun writing this. Smile I was questioning a lot of the same things myself. But then I have to keep reminding myself that this is a dream about a fictional story, so nothing needs to make sense.

Which leaves me in a quandary about how to feel about this arc: should I be pissed when the plot points and character behaviors make no sense? should I be pissed that they're squandering the opportunity to tell some good stories by writing this dreck instead? should I be pissed about plot holes you could drive a truck through? (I sense a theme developing...) Or should I just shrug it all off as just a dream where anything goes? I keep finding myself annoyed by the storyline, but I think I'm moving toward indifferent acceptance. Instead of "wait, why are they doing that?" I'm now more often just, "oh, so that happened. Huh."

Be pissed. The whole "dream world" conceit may have excused the previous stories' stranger elements, but I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be Jiraiya's honest-to-goodness novel. Of course, since she was unaware of the book's existence, much less its title, it makes no sense that Tsunade would dream about it.

"Yes, Hinata, the Hidden Cloud exacted swift, merciless revenge on your family after reading my latest book, but I honestly fail to see the connection."
amcnulty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The bad episodes are always easier for me to write about than the good ones! Not that I look forward to viewing them, mind you...

JaggedAuthor wrote:

"Yes, Hinata, the Hidden Cloud exacted swift, merciless revenge on your family after reading my latest book, but I honestly fail to see the connection."

...I'm wondering if he'd even be able to get this manuscript past his editor. "Go back to writing smut, Jiraiya. There's a reason why I told you you can't write adventure stories."
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Many people complain about the fillers in naruto, and I have to agree that they are pretty bad. But there are over 200 filler episodes so does anyone know which ones are at least worth watching? Confused
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Many people complain about the fillers in naruto, and I have to agree that they are pretty bad. But there are over 200 filler episodes so does anyone know which ones are at least worth watching? Confused

I would argue that most of them are, as they all offer some degree of entertainment value. Even the current one is a fun hate-watch. I believe Amy wrote a piece for ANN a while back in which she listed her top filler arcs. Unfortunately, the title escapes me.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
I gotta be honest, I didn't even watch last week's or this week's Naruto. These fillers are now starting to grate on my nerves. We're so close to the end, but whoever's in charge thinks it's funny to drag this filler arc along. It's not even all that interesting an arc.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well according to leaked episode titles this Jiraiya's book filler has at least 4 more episodes to go but that doesn't mean the infinite tsukuyomi fillers are over just this single segment of it.

Yes you can cry now.

Also even though the manga ended over a year ago 2015's Naruto Shippuden anime has been made up of mostly filler

Of the 44 Naruto episodes so far this year only 11 include material from the manga and of those 11 episodes only 5 are filler free.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:

There are a lot more than 200 filler episodes.

But the ones I like are

186 has a nice Naruto vs Gaara bit
194 it is amusing and well animated
219 Kakashi vs Gai
234 Konohamaru vs Temari nice animation
241 sequel to 219 not that good but there are bits that give a chuckle
285 a war episode focused on tertiary characters
290-295 a 6 episode mini arc that was going to be the original 6th film

and that's about all that I've ever enjoyed even a little.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:

there's like 270ish filler episodes in the entire series, and none of them are worth watching imo.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Filluden continues up to 241. Can't stop this train.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How much longer will Jiraiya's self-aggrandizing, possibly treasonous fanfiction dominate the proceedings?

According to Newtype, at least another month. Who knows; maybe this'll be longer than the war. I just check the synopses at this point. I'll tune back in if they ever get back to the story.

Something seems horribly out-of-kilter when this is permitted to go on with no end in sight, while the not-really-terrible filler season of Rurouni Kenshin ended that series prematurely...

Last edited by vanfanel on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 437

Quote:
At the beginning of the episode, Tsunade informs Shizune that she's too invested in the manuscript to get up to eat. Are we seeing the same story here?

I thought that was odd too. Rather than reading it like a page-turning what-will-happen-next adventure, she should be thinking, "jeez, this seems awfully familiar...oh right, I already lived through all this myself. I guess I am a little curious to see what he writes about that time when..." Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 44