• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm sure tripping was involved...

According to Oxford, the medical term is "ToLoveRu pregnancy."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen it so I'm not sure what that is, but I was imagining something along the lines of this, except with ankle socks.

Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, ToLoveRu is this on a continuous loop. I don't think there's a single member of the series' enormous female cast that the milquetoast male lead hasn't fallen on (or seen in the buff) multiple times. Needless to say, these falls are often accompanied by "inadvertent" crotch-plants and/or breast gropings - you know, just like real life.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sun May 15, 2016 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
He grabbed her rabbit ears Laughing . Those of you who are watching Big Order will get that one, which I suspect is not many.

I got that reference Wink

Quote:
Before even laying eyes on her, this guy was raring to make her his consort.

Quite a lot of that goes on in "The Tale of Genji," actually--guys falling head over heels for what are essentially rumors of exquisite beauty. Heian-era ladies were cloistered to the point that rumors were sometimes all the men had to go on. Visually, though, this episode was based on Yayoi-era Japan, which came way before the Heian Period.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Not that it's super-important, but I'm unclear on how much time is supposed to have passed between last week's episode and this week's. The twins appear to be in their late teens or early twenties, but I'm guessing they age at a much slower rate than normal humans, so is a couple hundred years a safe assumption? Also, Kaguya's laws concerning the Divine Tree were described as being in place for "eons," but it's possible that people only think this because their ancestors' memories were altered.

Quote:
There are also several attempts at comedy that all crash and burn.

"Our mother is an ageless goddess who can effortlessly cure every ailment known to man, but what's this? A toad that's capable of human speech?! WHAAAAAAAAT?!"

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sat May 21, 2016 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
So now we have our Adam and Steve creation myth for the Shinobi world, which is the whole world, complete with the Tree of Knowledge Chakra and the question of where did all these other people come from?? Very Happy (yeah, I buy Amy's explanation, but it wasn't really spelled out in the episode). Soon to segue into Cain and Abel...

After watching this week's episode of Ushio and Tora, I'm starting to wonder if Kishimoto ever had an original idea. Wink
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
"Our mother is an ageless goddess who can effortlessly cure every ailment known to man, but what's this? A toad that's capable of human speech?! WHAAAAAAAAT?!"

I was halfway expecting this.

Hamura: "Oh wow, let's catch it and go show everybody!"
Hagoromo: "Yeah, we'll be rich!"
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Now that would have made me laugh. They should have had you punch up the script.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Unless we find out that Kishi gave his input to this current filler set, I am only treating it as semi-canon.

On getting the Rinnegan: I have a rebuttal for those that still adhere to Madara giving Nagato the Rinnegan. If Madara gave Nagato the Rinnegan, then the transplant would be permanently "on". Jiraiya 1st saw Nagato with the Rinnegan in ch. 373 (when Nagato killed that jounin). So, this contradicts the transplant part.

Going with what Jiraiya's line that the Rinnegan can be used for good or bad corresponds with someone using that God's power for creation or destruction. I feel that the True God* gave Hagoromo the Rinnegan to be used for good (similarly, I believe that this that True/Creator God gave Nagato the Rinnegan which Nagato awakened/activated before Madara's Rinnegan was awakened/activated).
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When reviewing the penultimate volume of the manga, I took issue with how ridiculously complex Black Zetsu's plan was—and somehow, the anime has made his machinations even more confusing. The audience is barely given time to process one game-changing revelation before B.Z. rolls out seven more.

Couldn't agree more. When making my way through the manga, I remember having to go back and re-read Black Zetsu's info-dump several times because of how thoroughly convoluted it was. (No wonder it took him a millennium to bring this plan to fruition.) I think I even remarked, "I hope this makes sense to the author!" For what it's worth, the most coherent (albeit condensed) version of this can be found in Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.

I was also hoping to see the story of Ashura and Indra expanded on. Sure, Hagoromo already gave us the broad strokes, but the same can be said with regard to his mother's backstory. When they inevitably take a filler break between the Kaguya fight and the Naruto/Sasuke smackdown, maybe they'll revisit that. (More than likely, though, they'll just stick us with Ninja Scrolls: Part II.)

Were the celestial beings Kaguya mentioned the villains from the last two feature films? If so, I guess that's a neat little bit of continuity.
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Quote:
When reviewing the penultimate volume of the manga, I took issue with how ridiculously complex Black Zetsu's plan was—and somehow, the anime has made his machinations even more confusing. The audience is barely given time to process one game-changing revelation before B.Z. rolls out seven more.

Couldn't agree more. When making my way through the manga, I remember having to go back and re-read Black Zetsu's info-dump several times because of how thoroughly convoluted it was. (No wonder it took him a millennium to bring this plan to fruition.) I think I even remarked, "I hope this makes sense to the author!" For what it's worth, the most coherent (albeit condensed) version of this can be found in Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.

I was also hoping to see the story of Ashura and Indra expanded on. Sure, Hagoromo already gave us the broad strokes, but the same can be said with regard to his mother's backstory. When they inevitably take a filler break between the Kaguya fight and the Naruto/Sasuke smackdown, maybe they'll revisit that. (More than likely, though, they'll just stick us with Ninja Scrolls: Part II.)

Were the celestial beings Kaguya mentioned the villains from the last two feature films? If so, I guess that's a neat little bit of continuity.

Just popping in now to see how everyone is doing here in current Naruto Shippuden episodes.

So JaggedAuthor,

What would be your thoughts on if Kaguya backstory; including Hamura, Hagoromo, Indra and Ashura were to be done as novels instead of what were done so far with the anime(just like with Itachi story)?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely be up for reading them if they were available in English. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised the Naruto Hiden series hasn't done anything with the Otsutsuki family. I mean, it seems like Ashura and Indra's story could basically be a series unto itself.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, while I'm far from a manga purist, I think this sequence was slightly more amusing in the source material. In the anime, the hotties Naruto creates are random handsome faces; in the manga, a good portion of them seem to be sexy versions of the series' male characters. I also miss the visible blush on Kaguya's face featured in the manga, but its absence almost makes sense in this version, given how emotionless she was shown to be in her anime-original backstory.

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a raging manga fanboy, I also thought this sequence was much funnier in the source material. Kaguya's embarrassed expression actually prompted me to do a spit-take. (I think she may have had a nose-bleed, too, but I'm too lazy to pull Volume 72 off the shelf to confirm this.)

EDIT: I evidently referred to Kaguya as "Kagura." I, uh, frequently have Gintama on the brain.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember the Reverse Harem Jutsu from the manga, and it actually felt pretty out of place there. Tossing in a gag like that feels more like something that would fit with One Piece than Naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else hoping for a Naruto:Brotherhood or a Naruto KAI adaptation after this one wraps up? Because I really don't want this Anime to be the only animated representation of Naruto, or more specifically I don't want to buy 50+ discs of filler arcs to actually get the series...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 44