• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay - Beauty and the Beast's Belle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Yay about time the Daily Cosplay comes back
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Not specific to this photo, but I really hate how much of a role photoshop plays in cosplay photography now days. I've seen some really subpar cosplay that looks AMAZING after the photographs get uploaded because it seems 99% of all cosplay photos have photoshop now.
The_way67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Just average.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not specific to this photo, but I really hate how much of a role photoshop plays in cosplay photography now days. I've seen some really subpar cosplay that looks AMAZING after the photographs get uploaded because it seems 99% of all cosplay photos have photoshop now.

It really depends on how the photographer and/or the cosplayer(s) want the photo looks. In my case the modification would be kept at the minimal level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I will agree with you this cosplay photo does look a bit photoshopped. The surrounding looks a little off, and it looks like (maybe) there was a "clean up" on her face.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Colin Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The moon and stars were added in photoshop and I also did color correcting with the photo. But really, what you see is mostly out of the camera. Shooting with Puppetsfall is amazing.. trust me, no "clean up" is needed.

From another interview I did..........

What are your views on post processing? What kind of processing do you do?

Photoshop is a great tool to enhance photos. But with that being said, too many photographers seem to rely on post processing instead of getting the picture looking correct ‘in camera’ first. But then again, I can lose track of time when Photoshopping.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
I'm a cosplayer myself, and I cosplay characters of non-Japanese origin pretty frequently, but I think that considering that this is Anime News Network, you all should focus on featuring cosplays actually related to the content of this site (i.e. Japanese anime, video games. etc.)?

I believe that since you started doing this again, all but one of the cosplays has featured a series/movie that is Western in origin. This seems a little silly. It's not that the cosplayers aren't lovely, because they are. But to be totally honest, every other nerd site in the world focuses on comic book and movie cosplays, usually leaving anime cosplays out in the dust. It would be nice, if at the very least, an anime website focused on anime and gave those cosplayers a chance to shine.

Adding to that, cosplayers who don't have a 'cosplay photographer' they work with are pretty much left out in the cold by this feature and really have no way they can showcase their work.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Adding to that, cosplayers who don't have a 'cosplay photographer' they work with are pretty much left out in the cold by this feature and really have no way they can showcase their work.

In central and southern Taiwan where photographers are not as concentrated as in northern Taiwan (Taipei metropolitan area in particular), cosplayers would purchase their own photography gears (no need to be very expensive) and take photos for each other.

I'm about to write a series of photo equipment guides after Photokina ends (thus newly announced equipment can be taken into considerations), probably adding a chapter specifically for cosplaying photography.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1