• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Slane ultimately couldnt forgive Saazbaum for his prior actions to the princess and with tearful eyes executed his second 'father'. I was worried that Saazbaum would abandon slane, but seeing Saazbaum take in everything that just transpired and his reaction and commendation of slanesafter he called him father gave him the best death of the series so far, i really wish he hadnt dies(though i swear to god if he isnt dead...)

I would've expected more from Saazbaum then for him to fully put his trust in Slain after everything he knowingly put the guy through.

I'm not really finding Slaine any more likeable a character now then he was before honestly. The simple fact that he's still continuing with the war after he adamantly stated to Cruhteo that he wouldn't allow anyone to trample the Princess' dream. He got his revenge on Saazbaum, so now what exactly does he want?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought Slaine's last comment to Harklight made that perfectly clear: "This new era will be for people like us. Let's begin."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
So, if I understand this correctly Slaine was hopping to catch one if not both Inaho and Saazbaum in the trap. Ok, got that. How did he predict that Count Saazbaum would name him successor? Maybe I missed that? What if Count Saazbaum had not named him his successor when he did? It would mean that Slaine having gotten rid of the Count would then just be an ordinary Knight with less protection and little standing amongst the other Counts, that obviously don't like or trust him. Maybe I forgot something from a previous episode? I'm just asking here, because that doesn't seem like the best strategy and more that luck/fate made things turn more in his favor? Again maybe I just forgot something shown previously if I did someone go ahead and point it out.

gedata wrote:
The simple fact that he's still continuing with the war after he adamantly stated to Cruhteo that he wouldn't allow anyone to trample the Princess' dream. He got his revenge on Saazbaum, so now what exactly does he want?

I'm guessing that he wants to force peace and prosperity on his terms. To do that he needs to change Veers society and that's what his comment to his right hand man implies and of course no one's going to prosper while the Earth has all the resources, so he needs both in order to force a peace.

On a side note, I found it slightly funny to hear the Japanese dub say "Mustang 11 lunch!" Made me a little hungry too.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Again, Inaho's side was pretty boring or annoying. Nothing to really get from it. (He's Odin? Blah.)

I think I would have enjoyed the Slaine-Saazbaum thing if we had seen any of the past 19 months. I just couldn't buy into it when neither received development that fostered a father-son dynamic. All we saw was a very strained relationship based on Slaine keeping his princess alive. Though we did get a death scene that spoiler[Saaz, short of "Wait that was just a robot version of him!", definitely can't escape from]. I'm starting to think Cruhteo is definitely gone too; his presence would do nothing for the story now that spoiler[Slaine is top dog]. Though I'd of liked to see him pilot a ship.

I want Lemrina to kill the princess. That is what this show must do.

One-Eye wrote:
So, if I understand this correctly Slaine was hopping to catch one if not both Inaho and Saazbaum in the trap. Ok, got that. How did he predict that Count Saazbaum would name him successor? Maybe I missed that?

My assumption is that he chose that route only because Saazbaum named him his son. It's shaky writing though; how would Slaine ever predict that Saazbaum of all people would be willing to name him his successor? If he didn't, then he would have likely been ousted by the other Knights because he wouldn't have Saaz's power. Unless those two Knights (and mystery OP Knight) are actually on Slaine's side and the whole thing was a set-up to get Saaz to defend Slaine. Not that Slaine didn't incite them--he clearly was trying to, but I don't think it was likely Saazbaum would take him in as a son.

Last edited by RestLessone on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
I would've expected more from Saazbaum then for him to fully put his trust in Slain after everything he knowingly put the guy through.

I kinda think he did consider the possibility, but in the end didn't care. I took Slaine calling him 'father' as affirming that he plans to inherit their plan, and Saaz's subsequent 'this isn't bad' to mean that he is fine accepting punishment for shooting the princess if Slaine is going to take over and finish everything for him.

As for the review for ep 15:
Quote:
And the best part is that Inaho does not even aware that he has been used that way.

I'm not sure that is true. Inaho knows the attack is coming and positioned Saaz in just the perfect spot. That means that Inaho did not expect Saaz to know about the attack. I also think it should be incredibly obvious to pretty much anyone that the side most capable of that kind of attack is Vers. Inaho also knows Slaine is there as well on top of that Slaine shot Saaz when Saaz shot the princess.

I think he just didn't care. It allowed him to beat one of them when the alternative was potentially having to fight both of them at once.

One-Eye wrote:
So, if I understand this correctly Slaine was hopping to catch one if not both Inaho and Saazbaum in the trap. Ok, got that. How did he predict that Count Saazbaum would name him successor? Maybe I missed that? What if Count Saazbaum had not named him his successor when he did?

I think that was a gamble on Slaine's part, but I also think he was intentionally inciting the other knights specifically to prompt Saaz to adopt him as his son.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
@gedata
Quote:

Id say that was expected of Saazbaum, he has a very strict sense of honor when it comes to debts. He owed Slaines father his life so he saved Slaine to repay that debt and even gave him a machine that he knew full well he could use against him. Slaine saved his life in exchange for saving the princess's life so i believe that he thought would remain honorable to their 'contract' or 'deal'. Slaines own views are similar to his own so i think he may have wanted to see as a son that he was unable to have. It seems if youre a bad guy and you get sloppy or sentimental you die. And Saazbaum definitely got sentimental this episode.

as One-Eye mentioned i think he wants to change the entirety of Veers society, i believe he mentioned getting rid of ALL upper class or at least dealing with them, he eliminated Saazbaum earlier than the rest because his position was necessary(oh and he couldn't truly forgive him).

@SilverTalon01
i dont think he knew it was part of Slaines plan to defeat Saazbaum because he mentioned that he eye picked up a high speed debris field if he knew it as an attack i think hed call them bullets. So in the aftermath Inaho must have figured out that he was used but at the time Inaho was Slaines pawn(or rook, bishop, knight there was a chess game a the beginning of the ep too)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
@SilverTalon01
i don't think he knew it was part of Slaines plan to defeat Saazbaum because he mentioned that he eye picked up a high speed debris field if he knew it as an attack i think hed call them bullets. So in the aftermath Inaho must have figured out that he was used but at the time Inaho was Slaines pawn(or rook, bishop, knight there was a chess game a the beginning of the ep too)

Just because he said debris doesn't mean he didn't know it was an attack. It just means that he probably didn't know what it was. Remember we saw debris just bouncing off his suit earlier and it is a pretty safe assumption that Saaz's is more armored. Saaz also pretty much confirmed that there was no way mere debris could have damaged his kataphract like that.

So despite the fact that regular debris isn't really going to do much being pretty well established by everyone, Inaho still lured him into that specific spot fully expecting it to take care of him. I'd say he clearly knew it was weaponized something even though he probably had no idea specifically.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
personally i think thats a bit of a stretch for Inaho to deduce, considering what little he knows of slaine personally, but considering Inaho is now the incarnation of Odin i guess he can sort of... see... bullshit?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I don't rule out at all that Inaho deliberately maneuvered Saazbaum into the path of it. However, I doubt he had any idea that it was deliberately weaponized or a plot on Slaine's part. That would have required a jump of logic beyond even Inaho.

Remember, space debris in Low Earth Orbit travels at an average speed of roughly 10x that of the muzzle velocity of even a high-powered projectile gun (and more than 4x the speed of the best railgun tested to date), and meteoroids can be several times that speed. Hence it wouldn't have needed to be bullets to cause catastrophic damage; just a cloud of regular debris the same size as bullets would have done the job. Inaho gave no indication that he thought they were speciially-targeted projectiles, so I take that as likely that he assumed that he was just taking advantage of circumstances (which he has definitely done before) rather than participating in a well-planned trap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
@Key
yeah im not saying he didn't notice the debris with his abilities, but i dont think he should be able to deduce that slaine was the one who set things up like that.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Remember, space debris in Low Earth Orbit travels at an average speed of roughly 10x that of the muzzle velocity of even a high-powered projectile gun (and more than 4x the speed of the best railgun tested to date), and meteoroids can be several times that speed.

Yeah, but that same space debris he had no problem just flying right into trusting his armor to repel it. You think he would really build an entire plan based on the idea that if there were enough of those things bouncing off his mech that it could destroy Saaz's kataphract? Saaz was clearly stumped how debris could have done that, and I would think out of everyone there, he would know the strength of the armor on his kataphract best.

Calsolum wrote:
@Key
yeah im not saying he didn't notice the debris with his abilities, but i don't think he should be able to deduce that slaine was the one who set things up like that.

Maybe realizing it was from Slaine was a bit much, but I don't think him knowing it had something to do with an aldanoah weapon thus a Vers attack is a stretch at all.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I honestly did not even paid attention to the subs during the fight. I learned that to enjoy this show I better look at the pretty animation and drawings and listen to the awesome soundtrack rather than reading whatever bullcrap Inaho spits out. And I was not wrong, after reading you people I know for sure there was some sort of ass-pulled strategy and writing.

I was only reading again when Saaz got masterfully rekt by Slaine, seriously, why do you not make him the main character instead of goddamn reborn Odin? He's literally the only one I'm watching this show for though I do not hope for him to have a happy ending or thinking he'll do everything right, in fact, I'm pretty sure that the princess can't be healed after all or she gets mysteriously killed by a certain pink-haired; I'd like to see where he goes after that, he's been pretty interesting and entertaining so far.

For Aldnoah, this was a good episode, above average, I'd say.
HamoodSolid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
am i the only one who loves Inaho and hates Slaine????
slaine is a psychopath btw .....

i do hope Inaho kills Slaine at the end.
as for the princess i don't think she will come back to life Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
HamoodSolid wrote:

i do hope Inaho kills Slaine at the end.
as for the princess i don't think she will come back to life Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'm kinda indifferent on slaine and inaho but I do think that the princess is not coming back anytime soon
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
HamoodSolid wrote:

And Inaho is a sociopath. I like them both, but slightly prefer Inaho.

The series is basically Sherlock Holmes vs John Carter... I don't personally understand why that upsets some people so much. Almost any fiction with a mastermind character has them carrying out implausibly complex plans, while Slain pulls off implausible action hero stunts because that's his archetype.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 24