• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That includes a semi-predictable surprise declaration at the end: that the one whom she will actually take as husband is Cruhteo Jr., as part of her ascension to the title of Empress.

it's ok for inaho, he already has an eye waifu.

Quote:
And, most oddly, it shows Inaho talking to his eye as if he were having a conversation with R2D2.

see?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Without explaining that she's been impersonated, wouldn't her sudden declaration of marriage to Jr. make her look pretty fickle to the masses? Then again, so does suddenly reversing course on the war. You'd think revealing that would be an important point to make in trying to win people to your cause, since they already thought they were on her side. Doing an apparent 180 without that just seems like asking them to follow her blindly regardless of what course she's on at the moment, and hardly engenders confidence that she has any idea what she's doing or what she wants. Especially since this is what, the third time (as far as the public knows) she's flipped her stance on war and peace?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean the Vers Emperor passed away? Or is Asseylum just taking the power in his place because of his poor health?

Episode 23 was good in setting up for the last episode, but I feel that there's a big possibility for a third season. There's just too much stuff to wrap up in a single episode. Asseylum's development was unexpected (sort of), and she has finally grown up from her naive self.

@Gina Szanboti, her image in the eyes of the Vers people definitely is a problem to her current position. No doubt the knights will question her motives and legitimacy.
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
What's up with the review of episode 23? There are so many grammar / syntax mistakes I had to read everything twice..
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:
What's up with the review of episode 23? There are so many grammar / syntax mistakes I had to read everything twice..

I just reviewed it and found exactly one typo ("princess" was spelled as "princes" in the third paragraph), which I have now corrected. Where, pray tell, are these other grammar/syntax errors that you are talking about? Please be very specific.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the next episode. This show has been...simply put...fun. It's gotten a lot of criticism for being convenient and a bit formulaic (deservingly so - not going to lie), but I think what works is you want to see what happens next. You want to see how they take down the new mech, you want to see who lives and who dies, you want to see who wins the war. Honestly, it has a very Gundam like feel to it. If they came out with a third season, I'd watch it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
The "talking to his eye" thing has been in since early in the season, although it's subtle enough I suppose you could miss it. His eye has an AI, and he talks to it, and it makes beeping noises back. Now, is that beeping a language that Inaho understands? Maybe. Alternately it could just be the external sound it makes out loud when it's using it's speech systems to direct communication directly to his eyesight or hearing, which makes more sense.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
The "talking to his eye" thing has been in since early in the season, although it's subtle enough I suppose you could miss it. His eye has an AI, and he talks to it, and it makes beeping noises back. Now, is that beeping a language that Inaho understands? Maybe. Alternately it could just be the external sound it makes out loud when it's using it's speech systems to direct communication directly to his eyesight or hearing, which makes more sense.

What doesn't make sense is how a high school student was able to program his eye to become an artificial intelligence. It's not like Inaho could've learned it from somebody else and I highly doubt they teach that level of programming in school. The eye is just another device used to reinforce Inaho's op-ness and act as an agent for his degrading health.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Oh look its a twist. They should rename the show to Aldnoah Twist and then we can have the OP be The Aldnoah Twister with everyone gyrating. Can't wait for the AMV that counts how many twists there are in the show kinda like The Black Lagoon one that counts the many cuss words in that show.

Anyways, I didn't like the the marriage announcement because Count Crochety pants Jr. is still an unknown quantity to the Princess. It seems like a risky move and seriously if you are an Orbital Knight wouldn't you get a little tired of this Princess seeming to jerk you around? The logical outcome I think would be for the Vers to break up into factions with those wanting to conquer the earth siding with Slaine and Lemrina (who has some royal blood and therefore a claim to the throne) versus the real Princess and her faction. I really would like to see development of some of the other side characters and perhaps a serious penalty for robot boy's use of his magic eye. This could easily turn into a 3rd season, which could be interesting, but will they do that or will they try to wrap it up in one episode?

The second season has been better for me than the first, but they would have to do more for me to feel satisfied with the show and I'm not sure they can do that with one episode more.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What doesn't make sense is how a high school student was able to program his eye to become an artificial intelligence. It's not like Inaho could've learned it from somebody else and I highly doubt they teach that level of programming in school. The eye is just another device used to reinforce Inaho's op-ness and act as an agent for his degrading health.

They eye came with AI already built in, this was established in the first episodes of the season. All Inaho was doing was tweaking it, adjusting the various stats and options built in and allowing it to adapt itself. There is no indication that he did any high level coding himself.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
They eye came with AI already built in, this was established in the first episodes of the season. All Inaho was doing was tweaking it, adjusting the various stats and options built in and allowing it to adapt itself. There is no indication that he did any high level coding himself.

I'm sure I'm just beating a dead horse by now, but I'll say it one last time. If the Terrans could've made technology like this, why did they not give it to other soldiers?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

I'm sure I'm just beating a dead horse by now, but I'll say it one last time. If the Terrans could've made technology like this, why did they not give it to other soldiers?

To look at it a different way, Inaho was literally going against suggestions of the doctor character NOT to enhance the Eye's use (implying he has at least encountered other patients with an ocular implant) Inaho as a personality is not one to leave "good enough" alone (this goes based on the nature that he has his mech personally overhauled to his specs several times over, he sees his eye as "just another piece of hardware being modded"), so he decides to tweak with his computer eye to make it more than just an eye implant into a got tier "analytical engine" which is causing a backlash in his own brain for its extensive over use.

The key of the eye is reducing the User interface lag to zero, you can't get faster than being literally hooked up to the brain, but just as well throwing out the risk that the user could go into a state of "cybernetic comatose" probably would deter test subjects from active use in the manner Inaho is using.

But just as well that could make a worthwhile amount of side story fiction.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
And that is what makes this the best episode of the series to date.

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Key wrote:
I just reviewed it and found exactly one typo ("princess" was spelled as "princes" in the third paragraph), which I have now corrected. Where, pray tell, are these other grammar/syntax errors that you are talking about? Please be very specific.

It should be "nobleman", not "noblemen". (2nd paragraph)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

That's always a given in a review.

Key wrote:
It should be "nobleman", not "noblemen". (2nd paragraph)

Corrected. (I never mind this kind of thing being pointed out if it's a legitimate error, as I hate allowing grammatical errors.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Ep 24 grade : B
This season: B (in a twist I'm grading it 1/2 letter grade higher than Theron, usually its 1/2 lower)

Aww, it went kind of like I expected it to go and as I said previously I didn't think they could wrap it up to my satisfaction in one more episode.

I totally agree with Theron's review. I thought the action was pretty good and it was nice to see someone else besides Inaho use their brains in combat--wish they had done that more during the season since having other competent characters would have made Inaho's godly abilities easier to put up with (also would have explained why earth forces being weaker tech wise would be doing so much better now). I thought it was good that Slaine's charisma inspired some of the Vers at the end--a little convenient, but that's a minor quibble. However, it still felt rushed and I was left unsatisfied with the character development of almost everyone except for Slaine.

With Inaho no longer having his magic eye it seems that there wont be any continuation. For a moment there when Lemrina was talking to Slaine about royal blood and activation I thought there was a possibility that they might create their own faction and we would see a third season. But Slaine wasn't going to give up on Asseylum and Lemrina gets the shaft in spite of her loyalty and love. I can see the possibility of an OVA or two dealing with side characters and the Vers forces that refused to surrender. It would certainly help to flesh a few things out, but probability is low unless this was a giant hit.

Its still an improvement over the first season which was a B- (barely) to me, but man so much potential this had.

Last edited by One-Eye on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24