• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you miss English songs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
(She/Her)

there·s a distinct genre of music featuring empowered 1990s women belting it out that gets me going in any language

from the Argentinian-Canadian Cybersix to the Nihon Elf wo Karu Mono-tachi in the 90s women really actualized the kind of empowerment that they had been yearning for all throughout the 1980s

since then the commodification of pop music has caused recording studio stress which precludes that kind of steady confidence

alas occasionally one still slips through to this very day
CodyBrannon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I love Berserk's opening! In general, I really like Japanese songs in anime, but when you hear something in English, you immediately understand that there is something special in front of you!
rubelahame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yes..I don't so much miss dubbed Japanese songs as I do songs that were in English to begin with.
Nico Gonz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Generally no, although it depends on the anime, I really really liked Yu Yu Hakusho's English opening and don't take me wrong, the Japanese version is awesome but boy did they knock it out of the park with the English version, it really makes me feel I'm a Japanese teen at the mall in the 80s Very Happy
HoneyAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:12 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, I have that feeling, by the way. But on the other hand the presence of English songs was some kind of globalization influence, and when the songs are in the native language, you feel that yes... it's Japanese culture, it's authentic. Anyway, there's definitely something to it
EmperorThor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:58 am Reply with quote
Some English language OPs like for example Rocks for Naruto are indeed great fit for the show.

I think it turns out this way simply because having your song as OP or ED of an anime is good for self-promotion. So many mediocre artists do that. And we get lots of mediocre OPs.

There are sometimes good Japanese language OP songs as well.

However English language artists are unlikely to use anime for promotion so if an English language song is selected as OP then it is because it is a good fit. Such songs are pleasant to listen to as well.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:37 am Reply with quote
By now,we've heard of the recent passing of "Dragon Ball" creator Akira Toriyama. While the show is ubiquitous in this country today,it took a while for the show to take off here. While the first English themes to "Dragon Ball" were done by companies like Harmony Gold,they weren't really things to write home about. The first really memorable theme to this show would come when Funimation got their hands on it in 1995.
It starts off with a narrator saying that long ago,seven dragon balls were forged and scattered across the earth. When all seven were brought together,the Eternal Dragon would appear and grant the discoverer a single wish. After that,the song begins and it's really good. We're treated to a fun tune that emphasizes the thrill of discovery alongside clips from the show. The opening's really enjoyable and you should look it up on YouTube. You'd really enjoy it.

While "Dragon Ball" itself wouldn't be a huge success at the time,it's successor "Dragon Ball Z" would be. It's hard driving theme "Rock The Dragon" gave us an action packed thrill ride and it's scenes of Goku and Company fighting the bad guys was pretty enjoyable. I also suggest you find it on YouTube. You'd really enjoy both themes and also pay tribute to one of the legends of manga while doing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2