• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sword Art Online II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't Kirito immediately log out of the game and either contact the police or go to her apt himself after they de-"duh"-ed Death Gun's killing methods?
TUSF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
Why didn't Kirito immediately log out of the game and either contact the police or go to her apt himself after they de-"duh"-ed Death Gun's killing methods?

There's still the issue of "Hey, we don't know who Death Gun is at this point, and by the time the police even start doing anything, the tournament's gonna be over and more people are going to be dead."

If Kirito logs out and hurries to her apartment, the guy in her home will likely bail before Kirito ever makes it there. There's also how nothing showed up when they investigated the first two bodies, and they don't even know where Pale Rider lives to confirm if he actually died, or if he was just disconnected.

What exactly will contacting the police do, when you don't have any sort of information?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
You have the location of a murderer, and he's there until DG or Sinon gets bipped in game. I don't know how fast the police response would be, but that seems more likely to succeed than Kirito's current plan of... asking DG what his name and address is? What is his current plan?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Man that was a talky episode.

And whats with you guys that have a problem with Kirito deriving inspiration from Sinon's butt? Works for me.

They are certainly staking a lot on their faith that the spoiler[accomplice Death Gun won't do anything unless Sinon is actually shot]. That's a pretty strong assumption on very weak evidence.

I don't suppose players can send an e-mail while in the game. Would be useful.
TUSF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Hoping he can remember his name while fighting him?

Seriously though, if Death Gun #2 is watching the stream, he would also be able to see who's still online. If he saw that Kirito and Sinon are together, and all of a sudden Kirito disconnects, what do you think his reaction would be?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Man that was a talky episode.

And whats with you guys that have a problem with Kirito deriving inspiration from Sinon's butt? Works for me.

They are certainly staking a lot on their faith that the spoiler[accomplice Death Gun won't do anything unless Sinon is actually shot]. That's a pretty strong assumption on very weak evidence.

I don't suppose players can send an e-mail while in the game. Would be useful.

I thought about that last point a lot after the episode ended, and the conclusion I came up with is that email is probably blocked during tournaments to prevent using it to cheat.

And keeping in mind that spoiler[Kirito is also making a big assumption that a killer is actually in the apartment with Sinon], I, too, thought at first that Kirito was making a big assumption, but upon reflection spoiler[if DG and his accomplice didn't stick rigidly to their game plan then the jig would be up on what they were trying to accomplish. And DG clearly values the impression he's trying to leave or he wouldn't be grandstanding the way he is.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TUSF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I didn't realize when first watching the episode, but now that I went over it in my head, I realized how they changed Kirito coming to the realization of how Death Gun did what he did.

I mean, there's no reason for them to have cut the conversation down; they clearly had the space, if they lowered how much ass staring there was and such.
kj_4247

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
this show had one interesting card to play and it just tore it up. "if you die in the game you die in real life" if you follow that up with "because a guy out side the video game poisons you" then the game world becomes irrelevant and you actively stupid for taking part in it.

now that the show has completely divorced it'self of all stakes and reasonable plot the only thing left to draw interest is the action of which this episode had literally none of.

there have always been a lot of reasons to hate SAO but I never thought I could accuse it of being boring.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the only thing anyone could ever find interesting about the series was that initial premise. Rolling Eyes

Look, if that's all that you ever found interesting about the series, then why did you bother continuing to watch it past the end of the Aincard arc?

Last edited by Key on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, the only thing anyone could ever find interesting about the series was that initial premise. Rolling Eyes

Look, if that's all that you ever found interesting about the series, then why did you bother continuing to watch it past the end of the Aincard arc?
This^. Everyone from this point saying they don't like SAO, then why are you watching it still? Or leaving comments to a SAO related topic? IF I didn't like something I wouldn't have botherd putting so much effort into it to tell people why I dont't like it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I understand it can sometimes be tough to visually spruce up a scene of pure dialogue, but if you do that by staring at the heroine's short shorts the entire time, it makes it hard for me to take either the scene itself or her as a character seriously. My eyes are up here, SAO.

The fanservice was excessive, and I could see it reducing your opinion of the director, but it should not lower your opinion of the character any. It is not her fault where the director's gaze falls. No shame.

Quote:
The actual relationship between our digital actions and real selves is a complicated one, but I'm impressed to see a show largely based in embracing the fantasy of videogame escapism juggling with themes that could easily be construed as “videogames can make you lose track of reality.”

I think this overreaches. It isn't really commenting on people in normal games losing track of reality, keep in mind that SAO was a game in which people lived in-game 24/7 for two years, and people killed actually died. The Red Guilds were not just your typical MMO PKs who were just out to have fun, and then went on in real life to become murderers, these were genuine sociopaths first, and gamers second, willing to kill people in a game where they knew killing was killing.

It really has no connection to a discussion on real life videogames vs. violence issues.
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
kj_4247 wrote:
this show had one interesting card to play and it just tore it up. "if you die in the game you die in real life" if you follow that up with "because a guy out side the video game poisons you" then the game world becomes irrelevant and you actively stupid for taking part in it.

SAO has always from the beginning been about Escapism and Wish Fulfillment (I mean this literally), and how it affects you as a person. The idea of "Real Death", has been used to take these concepts to an extreme.
Even now, it's being used, just in a different matter than before.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
I have to say both Kirito and Sinon's conclusion, and their certainty in it, seem like a ridiculous plot device to reveal the villain's method.
The entire prospect of spoiler[breaking into the apartments, killing someone without signs, and sneaking back out, all while watching a video of the game inside the apartment to time it correctly - seems ridiculous and unrealistic. And why would he even need to check his watch in the game if they don't match their exact time of killing? And why did the police, which investigate these deaths with no knowledge of in-game occurrences, not find out about this killer?]
I really find the whole thing to have more holes than Swiss cheese, and being completely certain in that ridiculous prospect seems even dumber. The fact that the camera was on Sinon's perfect ass the entire conversation was probably supposed to serve as a distraction from how stupid it is.[/spoiler]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
Show was getting good, i'm not sure about these later episodes.

It does feel like a shorter-series though. spoiler[Kirito and Sinon being able figure out someone was sneaking into the victim's apartments and bumping off at seemed to be non-senseable how they came up with it.
I found that inserting the very gun that Sinon used as weapon that dramatized her was interesting, but i wonder if there anything to it. What if the guy was using Dirty Harry 44 Calibur Magnum instead? Would they've caused her to freeze like that and not face her psychological reaction to firearms? PTSD is serious thing, I'm glad they took a chance to show case it. I don't know if this second season of SOA is going to be enough, material. Seems like their about to wrap things up episode 12, for this half but i hope I'm wrong.]

One thing is for certain spoiler[Kirito and Sinon are going to be in huge trouble with Asuna when she gets there. Especially after Kirito and Sinon were in each other arms and lap. Laughing]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
People familiar with the novels were stating after episode 10 that the GGO story was only a little more than halfway done at that point, and such individuals have been speculating all along that the GGO arc would probably run around 16 eps based on the pacing of the anime form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 25