• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sword Art Online II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
One thing is for certain Kirito and Sinon are going to be in huge trouble with Asuna when she gets there. Especially after Kirito and Sinon were in each other arms and lap. Laughing

I removed the spoiler tags because that isn't a spoiler.

Having written the same thing before, I rather think now that we are selling Asuna short. She knows what and who Kirito is ("probably protecting someone right now") and she seems quite capable of being friends with all the other girls mooning over him.

So Asuna might take advantage and tease him about it for a bit but I doubt she will really begrudge Sinon the attention he is giving her.
TUSF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
RosaBatata wrote:
The entire prospect of spoiler[breaking into the apartments, killing someone without signs, and sneaking back out, all while watching a video of the game inside the apartment to time it correctly - seems ridiculous and unrealistic.]
Ridiculous, sure. Unrealistic? I wouldn't say so. Not if you plan everything right, and pick out your targets before hand, to see which you can actually break into.
RosaBatata wrote:
spoiler[And why would he even need to check his watch in the game if they don't match their exact time of killing?]
For the first two killings it was necessary to sync the time. It wouldn't be unusual to ritualize it, would it?
RosaBatata wrote:
spoiler[And why did the police, which investigate these deaths with no knowledge of in-game occurrences, not find out about this killer?]

This was explained in the first episode: Both people were extremely malnourished, not having eaten for several days in a row, and they figured that both of their deaths were unrelated.

Wrangler wrote:
spoiler[Kirito and Sinon being able figure out someone was sneaking into the victim's apartments and bumping off at seemed to be non-senseable how they came up with it.]
Agree for the most part. But Nick points out that everything pointed out was already information we knew.

Key wrote:
People familiar with the novels were stating after episode 10 that the GGO story was only a little more than halfway done at that point, and such individuals have been speculating all along that the GGO arc would probably run around 16 eps based on the pacing of the anime form.
Episode 7 was around the half-way point, actually. This arc shouldn't last more than 2 or 3 episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
Kirito attempting to find Death Gun through sensing his “killer instinct” is a pretty silly concept"

That may or may not be a silly concept in the real world, but I agree it's problematic to imagine that the programming for this game is so super-advanced that such a thing, if real, could translate into the virtual world. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible that even if it's not a real life thing, there could be game dynamics that allow subtle sensory proximity feedback among players to simulate the experience, though limiting it to "killer instinct" would be a stretch.
TUSF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nick Creamer wrote:
Kirito attempting to find Death Gun through sensing his “killer instinct” is a pretty silly concept"

That may or may not be a silly concept in the real world, but I agree it's problematic to imagine that the programming for this game is so super-advanced that such a thing, if real, could translate into the virtual world. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible that even if it's not a real life thing, there could be game dynamics that allow subtle sensory proximity feedback among players to simulate the experience, though limiting it to "killer instinct" would be a stretch.

Basically, the rational given in the book, is that the system references your avatar and account, and thus creating a bit of latency. So you’re not so much feeling literal killing intent, but feeling their gaze, and the system referencing you, and targeting you. There was a passing reference of it in the book, during the second arc, when Kirito “felt” someone looking at them, (the bat familiar)
So I assume the "killer instinct" is a result of the player staring at you directly.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's good to be in sync with the episode reviewer (Ep 12). I almost but not quite hit the fast forward button.

Although I have never bothered with the source material so I can't say if the problem started there, I am wondering if someone in the SAO production staff ended up sick for a week. I can imagine someone groundhogging up from their workstation shouting "We need a rewrite!" and everyone else shouting "Deadline!" "Sato and Yuki are still out we need to stretch out another week!" and things like that.

Anyway, I hope the boring part is over.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Fully agree with Nick that the front half of this episode dragged because of the rehashing, and on why that was probably happening. Also agree with his comments on what he sees going on with Sinon's character in this episode, as I pretty much saw it the same way.

I only disagree that the second half of last episode was also boring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Seraphic Moogle wrote:
This was a very poor review and highly prejudiced without any discernible objectivity even for a 'critic'.

I have a secret for you: objectivity is a lie. An objective review is just a literal plot summary and production credits. What you are looking for is a subjective review that matches your own opinion. You may find those in many places across the internet, somewhere someone will agree with you, you just have to dream and believe and google-search.

Quote:
I disagree with most of the reviwer's words and it seems as just another part of the bandwagon that seeks to take the supposed 'high ground' in attacking a divisive, yet popular in some quarters to attack, anime.

It's so cruel of people to attack the poor defenseless television show. I'm sure its television show feelings and television show self-esteem are deeply wounded.

Objectivity isn't a lie. Being 100% objective is extremely unlikely and the review would suffer for it - but the general premise of objectivity is certainly not a lie.

Plus it's easy to prove: just saying "I like this because" or "This is good because" defines how you have to approach the thing you are writing. There are lots of things in a series which can be technically judged - art quality, sound quality, generally voice actor quality is pretty obvious beyond "I don't think X suited Y role". This also holds true for plots and how the story is delivered - though there are more ways to subjectively interpret a story.

But all of the above is actually pretty irrelevant - as what a good reviewer should be doing is strive FOR objectivity, regardless of the fact they will always be bias one way or another. A good review is something which looks at the good and bad technical points of the series and weighs that against their own enjoyment - also taking into account the fact that other people may not have the same opinions as you.

tl;dr - whilst someone who claims to have an objective review is likely wrong, that doesn't mean the concept is a lie or something which people should cease to try and embrace.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The rape thing was even worse in the novel - it was straight up thought by Sinon that she was going to be raped and there was a chunk of it describing her being abused by him. There was absolutely no need for that because in the end all that her friend wanted to do is use the syringe on her. It's just ugh because I actually like Sinon for her arc, as much as it's influenced by Kirito's character, she still has an arc (unlike any other female character in the series), and as we saw, she decided to fight back with her own resolution.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I think the niggling little problem I had with episode 12 was the conclusion to the BoB.....

I know it's minor and not really an issue, but really?

The Bullet of Bullets is:
Quote:
the largest PvP tournament that takes place in the realm of Gun Gale Online. There are two separate tournaments: one held on the American and one held on the Japanese servers. A live broadcast of the tournament is streamed by the network TV: «MMO Stream», and can be viewed either via television or computer in real life, or via in-game streams in most VR worlds

This is a tournament big enough to be aired on TV, a Pro-ESport. It even has real-world prizes:

Quote:
The rewards are given to the 30 players that manage to get into the final. The prizes can be given as in-game items or real world model weapons.

And this high-octane competition that pits the best of the best against each other in a fight to the death....

ends with the two people that commit joint sucide winning!?

Shocked
HOW!?

If anything Sinon should win as it was her grenade that ended the game, or maybe as they died simultaneously, the player that got the most kills won?

Hell! Maybe say neither of them won and they were disqualified for committing suicide in an official competition where the aim is to play seriously?

Having both of them win really just feels like a Deus Ex Machina "Here you go, have a happy ending, everyone's a winner, good triumphs over evil Very Happy" and makes it clear that though SAO wants to be taken seriously it's still just a medicore story at it's core.

(In my opinion.)
EmberJune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
"the way it constantly framed Asuna with the threat of rape would have been funny if it weren't so tasteless and thoughtlessly abused."

Nah man, the threat of rape is never funny.

SAO 1st arc was always my favorite, 2nd was the worst (I like SAO II better).
Just something about SAO I (1st arc) was actually emotionally triggering and exciting to watch, which I have failed to find in the episodes that follow it.

Ignoring the harem aspect of SAO, Asuna and Kirito are a completely legitimate couple with an interesting back story and relationship development. I feel like that has been kicked aside a bit so that Kirito can independently fix his problems (which I am totally fine with). I just don't want any "implied" relationships to happen with him. I relied on the other dude's crush on Sinon to prevent that... But not anymore I guess... ugh......
konqueror

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
For stuff like this I can't take SAO seriously anymore. You have a nice concept with nice action scenes, but the drama, narration and everything else is just plain bad.

This is when you can notice how SAO was never planned to get past the first arc, because from there onwards everything is a big mess.

I watched the first season, the first 13 episodes were ok, maybe a bit of forced drama, but ok. From ep14 onwards everything was, how to say it, bad, and now we have this season.

I feel underestimated by this series, so if this was the last episode of this arc, I think I'm done with SAO.

Last edited by konqueror on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Seraphic Moogle wrote:
This was a very poor review and highly prejudiced without any discernible objectivity even for a 'critic'.

I have a secret for you: objectivity is a lie. An objective review is just a literal plot summary and production credits. What you are looking for is a subjective review that matches your own opinion. You may find those in many places across the internet, somewhere someone will agree with you, you just have to dream and believe and google-search.

Quote:
I disagree with most of the reviwer's words and it seems as just another part of the bandwagon that seeks to take the supposed 'high ground' in attacking a divisive, yet popular in some quarters to attack, anime.

It's so cruel of people to attack the poor defenseless television show. I'm sure its television show feelings and television show self-esteem are deeply wounded.

Objectivity isn't a lie. Being 100% objective is extremely unlikely and the review would suffer for it - but the general premise of objectivity is certainly not a lie.

Plus it's easy to prove: just saying "I like this because" or "This is good because" defines how you have to approach the thing you are writing. There are lots of things in a series which can be technically judged - art quality, sound quality, generally voice actor quality is pretty obvious beyond "I don't think X suited Y role". This also holds true for plots and how the story is delivered - though there are more ways to subjectively interpret a story.

But all of the above is actually pretty irrelevant - as what a good reviewer should be doing is strive FOR objectivity, regardless of the fact they will always be bias one way or another. A good review is something which looks at the good and bad technical points of the series and weighs that against their own enjoyment - also taking into account the fact that other people may not have the same opinions as you.

tl;dr - whilst someone who claims to have an objective review is likely wrong, that doesn't mean the concept is a lie or something which people should cease to try and embrace.

How's that little pretend-world workin' for ya?

No joke, studying Journalism does wonders for your definition of "objectivity". Even something as simple as your choice of words can betray some sense of bias.

A review, what's more, is where one should be as subjective as possible, or else what's the point? You can be honest, and Nick was as honest as he could get: he found the episode lacking.

We wouldn't be having this argument about objectivity if he had given the episode a higher score.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
"the way it constantly framed Asuna with the threat of rape would have been funny if it weren't so tasteless and thoughtlessly abused."

Can I get some elaboration on this? I don't know if it was a poor choice of words or what, but considering how you feel about the rape aspect of this episode, it just seems like an odd sentence.

Unless you're using "funny" less in the "ha ha" way and more like "laughably pathetic"--as in, "if the team were smarter about that arc, the implied rape threat would be laughably pathetic because Asuna would ground the guy into meat paste before letting anything close to that happen." Or someone would call the cops. Or something.
Bobduh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
To clarify the "would have been funny" line, which commenters have rightly called me out on - no, I agree, rape is never funny. My intent was to imply that repeated use of an equally hackneyed but less awful and legitimately charged device would have been funny, but since it is what it is, it's just tasteless and awful. I didn't mean to imply that different execution would have made the show's actual choices funny. Poor phrasing on my part.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the rape aspect was entirely unnecessary. His primary objective was a lover's suicide, Kawahara didn't need to throw rape in there along with it.

I also think that knocking the epsiode down to D despite everything else seeming to be positive is pretty extreme knee jerk reaction. We have a teen guy who sees no value in other peoples lives and who takes what he wants. The idea that he might sexually assault her before he kills her, while not tasteful, doesn't seem that out there to me, and I don't think it entirely diverted the focus away from the fact he was going to kill her either.

Now if he say strung her up with a chain, ripped off her clothes, and started feeling her up with the intent to rape her in front of her boyfriend to see them both suffer... thats pretty sick and steals the entire focus of the scene. I would absolutely understand this kind of extreme knee jerk reaction from that. Seems like a lot of the hate for this scene is actually coming from the fact that what I just said happened in the previous arc and not on the merits of this arc or this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 25