• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I was starting to get on board with the show after the last two episodes.

Visually this week might've been one of the worst. They have some cool things going on but handle them horribly. Oh the three Scouts are going to shut down the enemy's plot on their own? Yay we get to see them interact without their leader! The Scouts just show up and say they already stopped the plan. We can't actually see the characters do anything, except stand around rendered in art that is questionable at best.

This show really isn't providing much of anything, not writing, not visuals.

C- is a grade I strongly agree with.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
IIRC Marvel & DC still haven't done that in comics- and esp. not in movies.

Birds of Prey: Very popular title that has been running since 1996. It was also adapted into a TV show, albeit one that only lasted a season.

Marvel also had Fearless Defenders, though it was cancelled after only 13 issues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
"In short, this was a plot episode, which was an issue because nobody cares about the plot in Sailor Moon."

Excuse me? That's a ridiculously stupid thing to say and 100% untrue. The manga storyline is amazing and while there are some slight deviations here or there in Crystal so far 90% has been Naoko Takeuchi's original story. This reviewer is clueless.

Though I'd still give the episode a B- or so due to completely lackluster animation. Toei, please fire the team that did this episode and bring in the ones who did Act 5 full time please!
Raneth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not hugely familiar with the original show but I do know the basics of the Sailor Moon story. I don't quite agree with the reviewer's very negative take on this show. While it's by no means perfect (and the animation at times is pretty horrible) I appreciate the quick pacing in this version and the way the mysterious romance between Usagi and Mamoru is treated.

The original definitely had its charm, but this show has a charm too--just a charm with a very different feel. It's very fantastical and epic, which I tend to enjoy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
#823688 wrote:
Though I'd still give the episode a B- or so due to completely lackluster animation.

Odd that you should write this because I was going to post that I thought the artwork in Episode 6 seems to be much better than the prior episodes. Was I imagining it?

The animation was nothing to write home about but then again I don't think it ever will be for this production.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with everyone that's said that this "reviewer" has no fooking clue what she's talking about. My friend Jodi and I have a theory that she doesn't even WATCH the episode she's intending to review. This goes for pretty much anything she posts when posting about Sailor Moon Crystal.

I also feel that she shouldn't be allowed to post her "reviews" at all if this continues. Every review by her has been 100% negative and totally nitpicky. Sure the animation isn't perfect... No animé's animation is perfect all the time. Furthermore, why put forth the effort of writing something when you've not put forth the effort of WATCHING the material you're supposed to be reviewing?! That makes no sense to me. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion etc, but she takes it a bit too far in the wrong direction.

Those are my thoughts for now. Will post again once I have more to say.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
I totally agree with everyone that's said that this "reviewer" has no fooking clue what she's talking about. My friend Jodi and I have a theory that she doesn't even WATCH the episode she's intending to review. This goes for pretty much anything she posts when posting about Sailor Moon Crystal.

I also feel that she shouldn't be allowed to post her "reviews" at all if this continues. Every review by her has been 100% negative and totally nitpicky. Sure the animation isn't perfect... No animé's animation is perfect all the time. Furthermore, why put forth the effort of writing something when you've not put forth the effort of WATCHING the material you're supposed to be reviewing?! That makes no sense to me. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion etc, but she takes it a bit too far in the wrong direction.

That's a little more than rude to assume someone's lying cause they have an opinion you don't like.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

That's a little more than rude to assume someone's lying cause they have an opinion you don't like.

Okay fair, but all of these reviews have little fact attached, and it's really starting to annoy me. That's all.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
I'm not hugely familiar with the original show but I do know the basics of the Sailor Moon story. I don't quite agree with the reviewer's very negative take on this show. While it's by no means perfect (and the animation at times is pretty horrible) I appreciate the quick pacing in this version and the way the mysterious romance between Usagi and Mamoru is treated.

The original definitely had its charm, but this show has a charm too--just a charm with a very different feel. It's very fantastical and epic, which I tend to enjoy.
I appreciate you pointing the thing about the charm among things.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that the pacing is better than the original. My biggest issue with the original was the fillers that did little to get the story to advance. I was alright with them, but more than once, I found myself wishing things would advance instead of being an elemental dance battle against a monster of the week. While there was a charm to it, there were times where I kinda wanted to learn which episodes were key to the story. One of the reasons that I read the Stars arc of the manga before watching the anime version.

Which, brings me to another thing. Yes, there are people who care about the storyline. If I can't get into a story, I stop watching and go to something else. Back when I was introduced to Sailor Moon, I was drawn to the whole idea of a female heroine that wasn't just treated as second banana as many were handled even in the 90s in the states. The girl power theme was one element, but the romance, a hidden princess who is reluctant to take her position, and to see the girls' growth in characters into their destiny wove one of the best stories that stood around this long. The story was just as important as the animation back then.

The artwork may have some bad points here and there (I didn't care for how much it jumped around when Usagi's mom was looking for the Imperial Silver Crystal after Zoicite's manipulation of the masses this last time), but by no means did I find the focus on Mamoru lackluster. He is another important facet to the story and that they're tackling that in a different way than the original anime did please me.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:
IIRC Marvel & DC still haven't done that in comics- and esp. not in movies.

Birds of Prey: Very popular title that has been running since 1996. It was also adapted into a TV show, albeit one that only lasted a season.

Marvel also had Fearless Defenders, though it was cancelled after only 13 issues.

Thanks for showing me these, had no idea they existed Anime hyper Still, seems like they have trouble getting support though (those cancellations). Sad

#823688 wrote:
"In short, this was a plot episode, which was an issue because nobody cares about the plot in Sailor Moon."

Excuse me? That's a ridiculously stupid thing to say and 100% untrue. The manga storyline is amazing and while there are some slight deviations here or there in Crystal so far 90% has been Naoko Takeuchi's original story. This reviewer is clueless.

Though I'd still give the episode a B- or so due to completely lackluster animation. Toei, please fire the team that did this episode and bring in the ones who did Act 5 full time please!

Regardless of the manga's merits, I think the reviewer was pointing out that a lot of Sailor Moon fans don't really care about the main plot points because we already know them (from manga, 90's anime or PGSM). I'm in the camp where I've read the manga like three times... I don't need a shot for shot recreation of that in poor animation. I'd rather they take the time to develop the characters more and make them feel like real people instead of rushing from one plot point to the next but to each their own. I'm glad you're enjoying Crystal, and I'm a big fan of the manga too Smile

Shiggity wrote:

Okay fair, but all of these reviews have little fact attached, and it's really starting to annoy me. That's all.

Reviews are subjective opinion. Someone not sharing your opinion doesn't make them objectively wrong. Even the best anime have a share of people who don't like them.

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
Every review by her has been 100% negative and totally nitpicky.

So I take it you didn't read her episode 5 review then?

Quote:
My friend Jodi and I have a theory that she doesn't even WATCH the episode she's intending to review. This goes for pretty much anything she posts when posting about Sailor Moon Crystal.

I'm curious: how can someone "nitpick" an episode if they supposedly didn't watch it? Especially when you make it clear that you don't necessarily disagree with those nitpicks, just that they're given so much attention? Your post contradicts itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

What the hell are you looking for in a review? "This is a thing that exists"? It's a review, it's not ABOUT objective facts. If you want that, go look up a plot summary on wikipedia. Don't come here. With an attitude like that you're not welcome here anyway.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

Thanks for showing me these, had no idea they existed Anime hyper Still, seems like they have trouble getting support though (those cancellations). Sad

I can't speak for Marvel, but DC's Birds of Prey seemingly does well enough. The TV series just...was pretty awful, honestly. Superhero comics tend not to have female-only teams, though they generally don't have male-only teams either. More problematic is them having a token girl (ex; some Justice League incarnations) rather than a more balanced team. Particularly since there is a large cast of largely unused heroines in their catalog. But superhero comics' most/best feminist stories tend to occur with solo characters (Batwoman, Wonder Woman) or when two women team up.

Oh, and Marvel also has BAD Girls, Inc., which dates to 1991, and features Black Mamba, Asp, and Diamondback.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Not watching the show but I generally like to follow these reviews just to get a sense of what people's opinion are of the shows this season in case there's something I should check out and this review hit a pet peeve of mine.

The section talking about changes from the Manga annoyed the hell out of me. Please don't do that. In general when I watch an adaptation of something, especially that of which I'm unfamiliar with, I don't want to hear about what was added/removed/changed from the source material. I don't give a damn. IMO that kind of talk doesn't belong in these reviews. These adaptations should be able to stand on their own.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
The section talking about changes from the Manga annoyed the hell out of me. Please don't do that. In general when I watch an adaptation of something, especially that of which I'm unfamiliar with, I don't want to hear about what was added/removed/changed from the source material. I don't give a damn. IMO that kind of talk doesn't belong in these reviews. These adaptations should be able to stand on their own.

On the contrary, it can be important sometimes, too. Talking about it being bad that they changed something isn't how you review the anime as a standalone, but using the manga as context for what might've been improved upon or toned down is important in recognizing how the anime adaption itself holds up as its own property. It sounds contradictory at first, but in this case, we're not talking about the adaption being bad as an adaption, but how it may have done well or made a blunder in comparison to the source material. After all, this new season WAS meant to adapt the source material closer than ever and it intended to not deviate from it. Our biases of the source material WILL have an impact, so we should know where our inner comparisons stand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 53