• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Space Dandy Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@Cille, Thanks for the very insightful post! It's nice to know that there are creators out there that are willing to try something different in order to fulfill what people like me want in their anime. Gotta love Watanabe. No matter what he does, I always respect his intentions and variety of genres tackled and even combined. I'd totally buy some Dandy merchandise if it were available.

Would Kill la Kill be considered one of those new shows that meets that criteria? It's an original work not based on any pre-existing manga. That's one of my favorites of the last few years. It's always nice to see more original works in the anime industry.
Cille

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Would Kill la Kill be considered one of those new shows that meets that criteria? It's an original work not based on any pre-existing manga. That's one of my favorites of the last few years. It's always nice to see more original works in the anime industry.

As a matter of fact Sato did mention Kill la Kill. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

They'd probably hate Rick and Morty too just because of its episodic nature, and that show is genius.

Rick and Morty actually references past episodes. No overarching plot yet though it's a sitcom.
(There are sitcoms with ongoing plot: anyone remember the legendary arc on Friends when Ross was trying to get together with Rachel - everybody was pulling for Ross.)

Anyways, there's room for different types of storytelling.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Another hilarious episode. Every time I watch this, I'm grinning like a little boy in a toy store. I dare to say that this show has some of it's best episodes when Dandy is interacting with women, as opposed to QT and Meow.

Which brings me to another point. I have't read all of the thread, but it seems to me to be developing into another of the "Japanese audiences only like moe/otaku crap" threads that abound. I'm not going to go into that.

My impression of what "sells" in Japan is grounded in what Kenji Kamiyama once said in an event at la Feria del Manga in Barcelona. He said that "producers always wanted him to make the protagonists as young as possible, because that is want to people want to see. No one wants to see a hero who is 30 years old"

If you think about what has sold by the truck load in the last 5 years, the common denominator is "youth". Monogatari (high schoolers/middle schoolers), Attack on Titan (not a school setting but the protagonists are all young cadets), Sword Art Online (high schoolers in a virtual world), Love Live (schoolgirls)....and so on and so on...

Most of Watanabe's stuff has adults as it's protagonist (Terror in Resonance and Kids on the Slope being exceptions). It's not really a surprise that it doesn't do well saleswise in youth obsessed Japan. But then again, does it matter? As long as he has an audience somewhere and foreign production companies back his stuff, he can still direct.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember the last time I saw a show where each episode is a winner in a totally different way every week. It's shows like this still getting made even though it's a guaranteed money loser that keep me around this whole anime thing.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Thank god something like Space Dandy can still get made.

Thank FUNi and Adult Swim. Or did they not bankroll it? Either way, Dandy's not done well in Japan just like Champloo, which only adds to the stigma against taking severe risks.

I do enjoy watching Dandy, but I've never felt over the moon for it. It's humorous, but I've never fallen out of my chair with aching sides.

That has been said about every show by Shinichirō Watanabe. Despite the claims that Bebop failed in Japan, though it did do far better in the west, the show was still popular enough to warrant a film. Remember that Bebop didn't come to the west until 01, the same year as the film.

I think people just like to make claims like that to make the western Anime viewer seem important to the industry.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
People who claim Bebop did poorly are stupid, numbers claim it did very well and among the best selling titles in the 90s, just like numbers claim Dandy did about as well as Fractale.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Just-another-face wrote:
誤称 wrote:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes this as blatant America-pandering drivel.

It isn't anime. It's anime studios trying to do Ed, Edd and Eddie level crap.

Actually, I'll restate that. It's Japan trying to do Johnny Bravo and failing.

This has to be the single stupidest and most ignorant comment I've seen yet. How is this show "blatant America-pandering drivel"?

Ed, Edd and Eddie? Johnny Bravo? Where the hell do you even see those shows' impression in Space Dandy? All your post tells me is that you hate non-Japanese cartoons and that anime is sullying itself trying to imitate them (which, by the way, it's not).

A LOT of These comments are pretty stupid. It's like I tried to get across earlier, anime critics are really cynical and will find a complaint in pretty much everything. So anything that is different from the norm is "America-pandering drivel?" Okay. Or it's just terrible humor. Which is bull considering that humor is a completely subjective topic, and they all know that. And of course there's the people who still complain about it not having a continuous plotline or there being no consequences to characters' actions. Really? That's not a flaw, it's the show's style and structure. I personally almost always enjoy the experiments in episodes. But like I said, it's all up to your own personal taste in humor, so I'm not saying they're wrong for it not being their style. But calling it a Johnny Bravo or EE&E rip off is just ridiculous. The shows style is in a league all its own.

I'm okay if it doesn't appeal to the otaku fanbase, it's not like I need their approval to enjoy something. It's obvious that we don't share the same taste anyway. They'd probably hate Rick and Morty too just because of its episodic nature, and that show is genius.

That's why I at times tire of the Anime communality, it is impossible to have a conversation about a show without someone having to drop the same lines of recycled criticism and generalisation. And this is towards the none Slice of life and Harrem genres.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:

They'd probably hate Rick and Morty too just because of its episodic nature, and that show is genius.

Rick and Morty actually references past episodes. No overarching plot yet though it's a sitcom.
(There are sitcoms with ongoing plot: anyone remember the legendary arc on Friends when Ross was trying to get together with Rachel - everybody was pulling for Ross.)

Anyways, there's room for different types of storytelling.

Alright, you got me there. Perhaps not the best example, but my point still stands. A little bit of continuity always keeps a show interesting, and Space Dandy DOES have a bit of it every now and then. A very small bit mind you.

Marzan wrote:
I have't read all of the thread, but it seems to me to be developing into another of the "Japanese audiences only like moe/otaku crap" threads that abound. I'm not going to go into that.

My impression of what "sells" in Japan is grounded in what Kenji Kamiyama once said in an event at la Feria del Manga in Barcelona. He said that "producers always wanted him to make the protagonists as young as possible, because that is want to people want to see. No one wants to see a hero who is 30 years old"

If you think about what has sold by the truck load in the last 5 years, the common denominator is "youth". Monogatari (high schoolers/middle schoolers), Attack on Titan (not a school setting but the protagonists are all young cadets), Sword Art Online (high schoolers in a virtual world), Love Live (schoolgirls)....and so on and so on...

Most of Watanabe's stuff has adults as it's protagonist (Terror in Resonance and Kids on the Slope being exceptions). It's not really a surprise that it doesn't do well saleswise in youth obsessed Japan. But then again, does it matter? As long as he has an audience somewhere and foreign production companies back his stuff, he can still direct.

It's not that everybody in Japan only likes those genres and characters, but it is the majority (of the otaku fanbase anyway). I don't connect with the young protagonist sentiment, I've always thought that older characters in anime tend to be the better fleshed out ones. But hey, teenage angst and all. Gotta love it.

Maybe a majority of Watanabe's titles don't do well in comparison to their western performances, but their Japanese sales are generally nothing to sneeze at either. I'm just glad anime like this is still being made at all. It's what keeps me coming back despite all of the fatigue I feel at random times.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
Last week's episode was pretty disjointed. There were Dr. Gel's adventures in 2D space, which were hilarious, and then there was Dandy's ex, which was just the same bad joke about how she looks weird being used over and over and over and it wasn't funny at all.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch an episode here and there. It seems like Season 2 is trying ... something. I almost think there was an attempt to add plot or something last episode I watched. Still trying not to take it too seriously.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there's no mention of the dub in these since being aired on Toonami was one of the things that made it an attention getter. Also...I feel like I may be alone in the Season 1>2 crowd.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Plus the dub comes out before the sub so the dub is actually the one people can see first. I have enjoyed season 2 more though, not that season 1 was bad or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Last week's episode was pretty disjointed. There were Dr. Gel's adventures in 2D space, which were hilarious, and then there was Dandy's ex, which was just the same bad joke about how she looks weird being used over and over and over and it wasn't funny at all.

I really enjoyed it, but that's probably because I've read Flatland and have studied the physics of dimensions other than three. I recognized Catherine as an irregular tesseract the moment I saw her in the preview from the previous episode, and I enjoyed the dialogue like when Catherine talks about how she can see the insides of every three-dimensional object. (The one flaw is that Prince Paul's universe, if it follows the same laws of physics as ours, would be reduced to black holes as escape velocity in a 2-dimensional universe would be infinite, but I presume it follows different laws, it being a universe created independently of Dandy's.) It's my third-favorite episode of the season, behind "The Transfer Student Is Dandy, Baby!" and "There's Music in the Darkness, Baby!"

I also noticed there was a discussion where someone compared it unfavorably to Johnny Bravo. I couldn't help but be offended, as I've always enjoyed Johnny Bravo, at least when Van Partible qwas involved. (It was fun after the second season, but the characters became a lot less sympathetic and more foused on the jokes--it was Family Guy done wrong before Family Guy became popular.) I'm also a fan of Ed Edd, n' Eddy. I am a fan of animated works in general though, so I really don't care where it comes from, if it's episodic or serial, or otherwise. Space Dandy, personally, IS a breath of fresh air. Anthology-type animated series are very rare, and one done well even rarer. That's probably why I enjoyed "There's Music in the Darkness, Baby!" so much--it's one big homage to Courage the Cowardly Dog.

That being said, at Anime Expo, I've been seeing people with Meow hats. By that, I mean the red hat with the flaps on the sides he wears. Are those official? I have a hard time finding them.

Jayhosh wrote:
It's not that everybody in Japan only likes those genres and characters, but it is the majority (of the otaku fanbase anyway). I don't connect with the young protagonist sentiment, I've always thought that older characters in anime tend to be the better fleshed out ones. But hey, teenage angst and all. Gotta love it.

I do like young protagonists if them being immature, inexperienced, and/or juvenile is a key part of the story, or if it's important that it's in a setting associated with young people. South Park would've been off-putting to me if it didn't star a bunch of elementary-age children; many of its episodes are about them trying to understand the adult world, and Trey Parker even says himself that Cartman is pretty much just Archie Bunker as a child, which turns him from bigot to funny.

The thing is that Shinichiro Watanabe's protagonists are not only older, they tend to deal with issues that only older people would come across and thus young people in Japan would have a hard time relating to. Spike is in a dead-end job of his choosing, and opportunities to change himself have closed themselves off to him. Mugen and Jin live in a rapidly-changing social landscape and are struggling to find anything where they can relive their glory days. Dandy is growing weary of repeated but failed attempts to be happy. These are not issues that the teenagers and young adults (and hikikomori, herbivores, and such) who make up much of the anime-watching crowd nowadays could really relate to. Anime's audience in Japan has become increasingly narrow, and because of the low amounts of youth, shrinking significantly. Hence, Space Dandy is not doing too well. By contrast, stories with young protagonists in Japan tend to be about rookies who quickly make themselves known far and wide, perfect wish fulfillment.

That's what it really boils down to: Wish fulfillment, whether it's a harem comedy, action shonen, or starry-eyed shoujo. There's little wish fulfillment to be had with Shinichiro Watanabe's series, with Dandy perhaps being the least desirable character to insert oneself as.

American viewers don't really insert themselves as the main character of a TV series, especially comedies, and with a long history of sitcoms with unsympathetic main characters (notable examples include The Honeymooners, Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Modern Family), Americans, and I presume westerners in general, are used to protagonists where viewers must switch between laughing at and relating to. Space Dandy is a sitcom, and Space Dandy (the character) is a sitcom protagonist. We westerners can get behind someone like him, and I think that's why Space Dandy does well in the west.
bobob101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The best thing about this episode was the dub voice acting, which had to have had the voice of Foghorn Leghorn play half the characters. "I may just be a southern bred alien with half a space-boot strap of common sense, but I say the space verdict is obvious!!!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6