• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magimoji Rurumo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
The positive review kind of surprises me, since the previews of this show have made it seem like one of those shallow pander series that doesn't have a particularly engaging plot. Maybe I will check it out, though to be honest the overarching story of this harem lead guy having a coupon book of wishes that will kill him when he runs out sounds kind of corny. I can't imagine the show will have the actual guts to kill him off at the end, so part of my hesitation is probably also the feeling that it is going to end on a very cheesy note.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
^Its not a harem, its not even a love triangle. Rurumo is the only live interest in the series.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I can't imagine the show will have the actual guts to kill him off at the end, so part of my hesitation is probably also the feeling that it is going to end on a very cheesy note.

If you're heading into this series hoping to see something like that, then you're barking up the wrong tree. It's really more of a plot device, something that just stops characters from easily dealing with things by blowing them away with magic. Seemingly, it gives the mangaka an out for when he wishes to end the manga.

They'll have to address the issue of the tickets eventually, since spoiler[Rurumo has no idea that is the consequence of her training]. And, in saying that, we actually might not see it dealt with in this anime. I've no idea how many episodes it'll be, but the original manga ran for 7 volumes. The sequel ran for 4 more, and a 3rd manga series is ongoing.

Also, Incident. They almost got me there, almost, but it was a nice little change they threw in there in episode 6.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
^Its not a harem, its not even a love triangle. Rurumo is the only live interest in the series.

Well it should be obvious from what I said, I haven't watched the show I'm just going by what is being said about it. And if he goes through this show with multiple girls around him and no real male competition for any of those girls, then he is a harem lead in my book. It never requires that the girls are actually trying to woo him. All it requires is 1 guy with multiple girls in his space and no consistent competing male presence.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Well it should be obvious from what I said, I haven't watched the show I'm just going by what is being said about it. And if he goes through this show with multiple girls around him and no real male competition for any of those girls, then he is a harem lead in my book. It never requires that the girls are actually trying to woo him. All it requires is 1 guy with multiple girls in his space and no consistent competing male presence.

Thats not what a harem is, I think you're a bit confused about the meaning of the genre. It acteally requires for 3+ girls/boys to be interested in the main lead. Mean while, the only 3 main characters in this show are the lead himself, Rurumo and Rurumo's cat. And only Rurumo has any interest in him.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Thats not what a harem is, I think you're a bit confused about the meaning of the genre. It acteally requires for 3+ girls/boys to be interested in the main lead. Mean while, the only 3 main characters in this show are the lead himself, Rurumo and Rurumo's cat. And only Rurumo has any interest in him.

From Merriam-Websters:

Quote:
har·em noun \ˈher-əm\
: a house or part of a house in which the women of a Muslim household live

: the women who live in a harem in a Muslim household

: a group of women who are associated with one man
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
Geez, I didn't realise how easy it is to get a harem. I have one...though there is no romantic interest at all. Laughing

I didn't know that just having female friends meant I have a harem.

Just thought I'd add this - the MC isn't totally surrounded by females. His 3 friends and the president of his club appear in this series a lot...unlike the atypical harem series.

And, for me, anime/manga that I'd consider a harem anime is only when there are romantic feelings expressed by members of the group. Websters be damned!

Yes, there are females in there, but he spends a decent amount of time around his male friends. And, there have been episodes when all the cast are together.

If Kouta is involved in anything, it is a love triangle. Even that is flimsy, as we aren't really sure if the head of the disciplinary committee is actually interested in him.

If anyone has the atypical anime/manga harem...I'd say it is Rurumo, not Kouta. Laughing

To me, it seems that Kouta's friends and club president appear a lot more than the females in this series (not counting Rurumo).

Not only does the lack of romantic interest in Kouta lead me to not see this as a harem, but it feels like many of the females aren't that involved. The disciplinary committee come and go, Tanako is after the club president, Maaya barely appears let alone speaks...and Haruriri was just introduced.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
From Merriam-Websters:

I thought dictionary flames went out of style years ago. The applicable definition of a word depends on context, and a normal dictionary will only cover a jargon usage if it's particularly widespread. Based on the lack of entries for such terms as ecchi, fanservice, or loli, it should be abundantly clear that Merriam-Webster's definition wouldn't pertain to the harem genre of certain Japanese media.

Even going by its irrelevant definition, classifying this as a harem would be highly questionable at best. Aside from his own mother and Rurumo, there's only one female character with any direct association to the male lead. The rest of the female cast are side characters associated with someone else, such as a girl who has a crush on one of his male clubmates.

That said, it's not completely unconnected to the harem genre. It does borrow some of its conventions, but only for the sake of turning them on their heads. The main character certainly likes to believe he is the star of a harem anime, and it's a bit of a running gag that things never proceed as he expects.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hey, I was simply responding to someone getting all up in arms about the definition of the word "harem." So I provided a widely accepted definition from a reputable source.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

From Merriam-Websters:

Quote:
har·em noun \ˈher-əm\
: a house or part of a house in which the women of a Muslim household live

: the women who live in a harem in a Muslim household

: a group of women who are associated with one man

Which is not the even the case with this series, he doesen't even have more than 1(2 if you count the cat) female friends. Or we are going to include his mother?

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Hey, I was simply responding to someone getting all up in arms about the definition of the word "harem." So I provided a widely accepted definition from a reputable source.

And you're clearly misinterpreting he definition of the word when it comes to fiction. Context is rather important when it comes to the meaning of a word.

Did you actually watch the series or are you just basing this on the reviews you have read from it?

Last edited by Rederoin on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo -
I realize all you did initially was refer to the MC as "harem lead guy," which is hardly unreasonable when that's exactly what he considers himself to be. My only quibble was that the dictionary definition obviously doesn't account for its meaning in the context of anime/manga/LNs/VNs/etcetera.

Rederoin wrote:
Did you actually watch the series or are you just basing this on the reviews you have read from it?

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well it should be obvious from what I said, I haven't watched the show I'm just going by what is being said about it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:

Rederoin wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well it should be obvious from what I said, I haven't watched the show I'm just going by what is being said about it.

I somehow missed that, it obvious he is ignorant on the series then. I now regret wasting my time on this.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

I somehow missed that, it obvious he is ignorant on the series then. I now regret wasting my time on this.

Lol. You gotta read what I say sometimes before attacking me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Or we are going to include his mother?

Well, with otaku fodder - ya never know! Laughing
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Or we are going to include his mother?

Well, with otaku fodder - ya never know! Laughing

Laughing Touche!

At least this isn't one of those series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2