• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann Anime Legends Box Set Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking to buy a copy of Gurren Lagann and noticed that some people have problems with some of the discs from Bandai's Anime Legends box set. Quite a few reviews on Amazon mention problems with the discs and others never mention it at all. Does anyone know if this is a widespread problem with these sets or is it limited to just a bad batch of sets?

The seller PVP Filmworks Store on Amazon ships a new copy of the box set with a fixed disc 1 attached to the outside. Did Bandai ever offer a replacement program or something for defective discs? I'm curious because they are the only seller on Amazon offering fixed discs.

I am aware that Aniplex is also selling a limited edition set for $140. I think their products are overpriced so I'm not interested in their set.

Does anyone here own the Anime Legends set and not have any problems with it? I'd like to here your thoughts on this set. Thanks.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I own it, but I haven't watched (or even opened) it yet.

What exactly is the problem you've heard about?
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
The discs freeze or skip a lot from what I've read. The 1st disc is mentioned a lot but some people also mentioned discs 2 and 4 skipping and freezing as well.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I bought my set as soon as the news that Aniplex licensed the show hit ANN. More importantly, my set is error free, though I don't know how much that will hep you
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Well after reading quite a few reviews mentioning glitched discs with a lot of skipping and freezing I was a little concerned about getting a bad copy of the set. Normally I would just buy the set and ask for an exchange if there is a problem but since this is a discontinued set that might not be possible depending on the seller I get it from.

I suppose as long as there are some error free sets out there I'll just take a chance and order it.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
A used copy of the bluray box was selling for 370$ yesterday
someone bought it though

I would hold off if I were you
isn't the show airing on toonami or something?
I do expect another DVD release but it may not be soon
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
I'm looking to buy a copy of Gurren Lagann...

Do you already have a region free player?

If not, good luck in your search for what's out there in the land of R1 with the price and current availability of that title.

As I've mentioned previously in another thread...

ever considered a dvd set from another region???

Gurren Lagann REGION 2 DVD Collector's Edition is available for pre-order at Amazon UK. Release date is Oct 20, 2014. Cost before shipping is less than 59 USD...

As for paying $370 USD for a blu-ray box of Gurren Lagann... The Complete REGION B Blu-ray Edition at Amazon UK is less than 73 bucks (before shipping) as of this post, and even if you were to splurge for their "Ultimate Edition REGION B Blu-Ray release" that would still be less than $176 before shipping.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Felis wrote:
I'm looking to buy a copy of Gurren Lagann...

Do you already have a region free player?

If not, good luck in your search for what's out there in the land of R1 with the price and current availability of that title.

5 ebay sellers currently have the legit Anime Legends set brand new for less than $25 with plenty in stock (one seller even has it up for $13.99).

Additionally, I'm midway through disc one of my Anime Legends set and have experienced no problems whatsoever.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
5 ebay sellers currently have the legit Anime Legends set brand new for less than $25 with plenty in stock (one seller even has it up for $13.99)..

https://forums.hummingbird.me/t/psa-bootlegs-1-1-identical-retail-copies-of-bandais-anime-legends-and-discotek-media-dvd-bootlegs-on-the-market/5731

Not obvious bootleg by the picture/info, but definitely obvious by the price and quantity available.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I have the legends set and had a problem on the second disc. I replaced the set and still had a problem with the same disc. I replaced that disc with a cheap used copy of the singles, and it worked fine. I didn't have problems with the other discs personally
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
$370 isn't even that good, I bought mine new from Japan for $420 (blaze it).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
The seller PVP Filmworks Store on Amazon ships a new copy of the box set with a fixed disc 1 attached to the outside.

If its new then how do they know that the disk is damaged?

Unfortunately there were several instances of Bandai DVDs having issues with them. Off the top of my head I can remember FLAG DVD2, Escaflowne Anime Legends, My Otome and others. I have always had issues with one of my GITS: SAC DVDs. I always get told that there is damage on the disk. Usually ejecting it and re-inserting it fixes the problem. I know that Bandai did a recall on some of the disks that had issues, but if I recall correctly I think others you had to send the disk in for an exchange. I don't recall hearing that they had a program where they sent replacement disks to retailers to ship alongside the sealed sets. Maybe they did this with online retailers, but I wouldn't see this working with brick and mortar stores because it would take up more space and look sloppy on a shelf. It seems a little odd, but maybe they did get a hold of a replacement disk?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann Bandai Discs are not Physically damaged

they were burned improperly and then u get skipping or not loading in the DVD players as others above have said, it does not affect everyone but there are lots
I am not sure how they got a hold of the discs, but it would not be surprising that bandai sent out a bunch to distributors
it would have been cheaper for them to do so

I was expecting the re-release soon but the price is very high
I am not sure what Aniplex is thinking other than no one is probably going to buy this - again.
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
ever considered a dvd set from another region???

Yes, I haven't ordered it yet but I'm planning on buying a region free blu-ray player, along with the UK Gurren Lagann blu-ray and a couple other shows. That seems like the best option to me; it's cheaper than the Aniplex set and I can avoid dealing with potential disc problems or possible bootlegs with the Bandai set on eBay and Amazon.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sohma_Curse wrote:
5 ebay sellers currently have the legit Anime Legends set brand new for less than $25 with plenty in stock (one seller even has it up for $13.99)..

https://forums.hummingbird.me/t/psa-bootlegs-1-1-identical-retail-copies-of-bandais-anime-legends-and-discotek-media-dvd-bootlegs-on-the-market/5731

Not obvious bootleg by the picture/info, but definitely obvious by the price and quantity available.

Agreed. Just sounds too good to be true. It's sad that newer fans continue to get ripped off like this.

Felis wrote:
Yes, I haven't ordered it yet but I'm planning on buying a region free blu-ray player...and I can avoid dealing with potential disc problems or possible bootlegs..."

Having other buying options and a chance at something that isn't available in the US yet seemed like the best option to me too. Even if it may have taken a bit longer to arrive or not have any sort of package tracking.

potatochobit wrote:
I am not sure what Aniplex is thinking other than no one is probably going to buy this - again.

me either, no idea, but they've obviously crunched the numbers already and are willing to give it a go on blu-ray here at that price.

Of course, in a perfect world, they would also release an affordable R1 dvd set at the same time for those that can't stream, or don't have a need or desire for any blu-ray...

One-Eye wrote:
Unfortunately there were several instances of Bandai DVDs having issues with them.

So true. I bought Escaflowne several times (the OCD/Collector mentality here), the only set I had a problem with was the one that came with two slip covers/boxes. Only one of the discs wouldn't play properly. Thankfully I didn't have any problems with Vol 2 of Flag. That would've seriously sucked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2