• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Mystery Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
So, does this version of the Street Fighter II anime include the much-demanded uncut shower scene?

As a kid who enjoyed Street Fighter games on the SNES, I saw this movie in the local video rental store and borrowed it. Me and a friend watched it together (as he was a bigger fans of the games than I), we were both shocked when we saw that scene.

I never watched the movie again, so I remember nothing of it...but that one scene. Laughing

Never knew about this game though, but doesn't seem like it'd be something I'd enjoy.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind a college location for Persona. It wouldn't be hard to keep/adapt the social link gameplay and school life/events for that setting, while enabling more adult scenarios for the characters.
Along a similar vein, I'd love to see a sequel (with a new cast and plot) to Catherine.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
"Why would you get a WHITE system? I got the white Game Boy Advance because it was all the store had, and it got absolutely filthy. But maybe I'm just a slob."

The plates are removable, so you can mix and match custom cases Nintendo will make. That way you don't have to buy a new system every time a 'limited edition' design you like comes out.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Not to mention it was before balancing daily-life and dungeon crawling became a part of the series, so it's definitely not the same as putting the player in an adult-oriented environment/having to deal with adult issues.

Instead of school, you go to work. Then you go home to pay bills, car insurance and payments, eat dinner and have a dissolving relationship with your wife, and go spend the evenings getting drunk in bars before stumbling into dungeons. I'd play it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

That is sure to piss off some fans. I personally think it's a great idea. shows they know the mentality. "What single player?"

On another note, the game looks old already. like, Halo 3 old. Guess gameplay outweighs the graphics.

My sons played the beta, and loved it. So they will be buying the game on the release date. For a console game, I thought the graphics looked great, sure didn't think it was old looking.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
DRWii wrote:
Not to mention it was before balancing daily-life and dungeon crawling became a part of the series, so it's definitely not the same as putting the player in an adult-oriented environment/having to deal with adult issues.

Instead of school, you go to work. Then you go home to pay bills, car insurance and payments, eat dinner and have a dissolving relationship with your wife, and go spend the evenings getting drunk in bars before stumbling into dungeons. I'd play it.

Or ya can be a playboy/girl, hopping from bar to bar. And ya earn a lot of money, but ya spend your week's paycheck all that same weekend. Ya can be the toast of the town doing whatever ya want, and go to the dungeons for lolz. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Or ya can be a playboy/girl, hopping from bar to bar. And ya earn a lot of money, but ya spend your week's paycheck all that same weekend. Ya can be the toast of the town doing whatever ya want, and go to the dungeons for lolz. Laughing

I'd actually really like it if there wasn't any WORLD DESTROYING THREAT, and instead you were just a guy/girl who found out (s)he had access to the demon realm or something and just went there for fun and maybe because you could find like rare artifact or something and sell them. That could literally be his/her job.

Now I'd love that as a game, but it wouldn't be very persona, c'mon new IP atlus!

But seriously, a college/work setting would be such a breath of fresh air.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
An Final Fantasy comic penned by Kurt Busiek? WHY HAS THE WORLD BEEN ROBBED OF THIS!?!
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
One of the reasons P3 and P4 became a huge hit in Japan is likely to be the high school setting. Atlus wouldn't want to change that. Not that I'm complaining since I'm not interested in playing an adult life simulation when I'm living it right now.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
While it's not likely, I'm hoping P5 will help out PS4 sales in Japan.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy IV comic: Sorry but no. I'm relieved this actually didn't come to fruition.

Persona 5: We all know teen Japanese gamers are too afraid to even think of college or adult life, so they can't connect with adult characters at all. They don't even want to think of life beyond high school. (I'm teasing of course, but you know, sometimes I can't help but wonder how true it is. XD)

Personally I would love to see a Persona game focus on adults again, like Eternal Punishment did. I'm getting a tad tired of the school setting now. It's not like high school is the only aspect to a person's life.

New Nintendo 3DS: This had to have been the most awkward announcement. Finding an affordable copy of the Wii Xenoblade Chronicles is impossible, so if I want to play the portable version, I have to get a new 3DS for it? Come on now. How do you justify this?
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear there's some support for a Persona themed around adults. When Todd ran the contest for P5 suggestions, a lot of people were really resistant to the idea of a game set after high school. Mike Toole also talked about the abundance of anime with adolescent protagonists as well.

I've been thinking about this proliferation a lot, and I think one possible explanation is that the Japanese actually have more personal freedom in high school and college than they do after graduation. Even with all the cram schools and pressure to perform in acceptance exams in their youth, the Japanese really only have one chance to get hired into corporate positions, and even on landing a job, they face being overworked to the point of physical harm. I think this also ties into why you see so many Japanese developers start new companies after leaving bigger studios: they can't really be hired by another company, so their only option to continue making games is to do it themselves.

I admit that this hypothesis depends a lot on unsubstantiated claims on Wikipedia, so if I'm wrong, I would appreciate any constructive criticism.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

That is sure to piss off some fans. I personally think it's a great idea. shows they know the mentality. "What single player?"

On another note, the game looks old already. like, Halo 3 old. Guess gameplay outweighs the graphics.

My sons played the beta, and loved it. So they will be buying the game on the release date. For a console game, I thought the graphics looked great, sure didn't think it was old looking.

That's cool. The commercial looked like crap. But It's expected coming from a gamestop promotion for the DLC content.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[T]he characters are adults instead of beleaguered high-schoolers.

Good god, I wish more Japanese games and anime would do this, or at least the ones that already do to get localized more often. I just want a better balance of this stuff is all, so that it's not just one style for one demographic for a solid decade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2