• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Live-Action Traction

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Lion-Maru be the one. On 2nd thought, I actually don't want an anime remake but a live action update. Best tokusatsu ever: Violent as hell, relatively deep stories, and best of all -- way better choreography than its contemporary monster suit fights since the show's based on tried and true chambara. Hack, it stands up even today (unlike old Kamen Rider series and Kikader I would occasionally rewatch today...uugh). The show's got the ubiquitous cute girl sidekick only she actually fights, a mascot kid character who has real combat and supportive role, a long white hair flowing beard ninjitsu kungfu sifu master right out of a Shaw Brothers kungfu movie, and a flying Pegasus for the hero. Best of all, they have some recurring villains who are slightly sympathetic (aka like the nezumi gunfighter) one often found in samurai movies or westerns. It's chambara x tokusatsu with a dash of western. I still remember the chant hero does to release the chain on the sword which allowes him to transform into Lion-Maru
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Looking back at this article I noticed Mike say this particular thing about the Red Baron anime:
Quote:
a wide variety of silly-looking robots

When I looked for more info on who was on the staff, I noticed something interesting: The mech designs were done on a per-episode basis. Pretty much, instead of having one or two people design all of the mechs ahead of time, Red Baron had 10 different people doing the mech designs, generally alternating between each other every episode. Looking at most of the designers also shows something interesting, which is that all of them were key animators instead of actual character/mecha designers. Most of them are still doing key animation & animation direction to this day, so it's interesting to see them being given the ability to design their own robots. It makes me want to see this show all the more, honestly.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I need to see an anime adaptation of it, but X Bomber is friggin awesome, so I was happy to see it mentioned. But for me, a lot of the appeal to that show is in the intricate set design and special effects. I'm not sure how well the charm of that show would translate to anime. Certainly an ambitious project, if one were to ever take it on.

Thinking about that show made me realize how the lack of technology forced people to get creative back then, with the result being really cool stuff like X Bomber. It makes me sad to think that there is no longer an imperative to experiment like that, when most stories can be more economically computer generated. But that just makes me all the more excited for projects like "The Boxtrolls".

PS: I'm not super knowledgable when it comes to Tokusatsu shows, but isn't Kikaider the one where the villains always give each other Nazi Salutes?
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

PS: I'm not super knowledgable when it comes to Tokusatsu shows, but isn't Kikaider the one where the villains always give each other Nazi Salutes?

I believe you might be thinking of Kamen Rider. The members of Shocker do the Nazi salute a lot in the older Kamen Rider shows. They also communicate in high-pitched "Eee~!"-sounds.
Maokun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, I remember so well Moonlight Mask, or rather Capitan Centella. I can still sing a couple lines of the localised Spanish intro song and it's been almost 30 years! In the early episodes he battled small-time crooks and mob types belonging to an organisation lead by a demonic figure. Pretty standard fare. It's in the later episodes were it gets interesting: A mad scientist has tapped into the accumulated power of evolution through the ages and can release it by "de-volving" his lackeys into monstrous versions of organisms lower in the evolution scale, such as apes, primal fish, and the most powerful one, a giant amoeba. I kid you not.

Many years later I'd watch Akira and think that while visually impressive, the premise seemed somewhat rehashed to me.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
There's something I've wondered about a lot. I've wondered how the Japanese themselves feel about American attempts at tokusatsu? Stuff like the "Power Rangers" and others like them have successful here but I wonder how the Japanese themselves feel about it. I know that this is shown in Japan. I'm amazed that there aren't any anime or manga poking fun at this sort of thing.
As for "Moonlight Mask,"I've got the feeling if they had an American character in that show,he'd be called "Valentino" (named after the silent film star) or "Turban Man" or something like that. What do you guys think about that?
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
There's something I've wondered about a lot. I've wondered how the Japanese themselves feel about American attempts at tokusatsu? Stuff like the "Power Rangers" and others like them have successful here but I wonder how the Japanese themselves feel about it. I know that this is shown in Japan. I'm amazed that there aren't any anime or manga poking fun at this sort of thing.
As for "Moonlight Mask,"I've got the feeling if they had an American character in that show,he'd be called "Valentino" (named after the silent film star) or "Turban Man" or something like that. What do you guys think about that?

Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight (originally Kamen Rider Ryuki) was re-broadcast on Toei's satellite channel, and from what I've heard, it did fairly well with the Japanese audience (link).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm amazed that there aren't any anime or manga poking fun at this sort of thing

Not quite in anime & manga, but Super Sentai spin-off Akibaranger did poke fun at Power Rangers in one episode by having the Red & Green Ranger appear as the "Powerful Rangers". They were the usual cocky American portrayal that you tend to see from Japanese productions, and they even helped the villain fight the Akibarangers.

Outside of that, and re-dubbing Power Rangers into Japanese, you don't really see Japan reference Saban/Disney's adaptations. Well, okay, there is Masaaki Endoh's insanely awesome cover of the original Power Rangers theme, too (here's a fan-made OP-length version).
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
I heard about that episode and it's a shame they handled it this way. It could have been a good natured portrayal of it with the Powerful Rangers going off in the wrong direction to fight the bad guys but ultimately helping the other rangers defeat the bad guys. I still wish that the Japanese anime and manga would make fun of American attempts at tokusatsu but in a good humored way and not in a mean-spirited way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2