• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation withdrawing Blu-Ray on some shows?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Zalis116

The fact that the season 1 set of Baka and Test LE is still available should tell you something. If that sold poorly they probably only made a minimum print run of the season 2 LE. No point in making a lot if they will not sell. You are correct the extras are on a separate disk in the LE of season 2.

They were on a separate DVD and to me they sounded a lot better than they were, which was the same for season one.

And when I tried to find the LE of season 1, it was sold out. Oh, yeah, it's the standard BD/DVD combo which is still around but that has no bearing on how well or how poorly it sold. The fact that there was no standard edition for season 2, even after it sold out {and its rising after market price} is a better indicator of how much Funimation under produced it, in that it has actual evidence.

I still think it's funnier that Yamada's First Time BD/DVD SAVE version has an MSRP of 19.95 while both Baka and Test DVDs are 29.95.

There is no benchmark, there is no basis for comparison for any of this so it's probably more from the publisher {which we already knew from the difference in the Anime Classic line compared to the SAVE series; After so many sets of Love Hina, it still gets a Classic release?}.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume this is a decision made at Funimation based on sales projections.

If Love Hina gets a Classic release in spite of multiple prior editions it is because they think it will sell. If Baka and Test season 2 does not get a standard Blu-Ray edition it is because they think it won't, at least not enough to warrant an additional pressing.

I think ten or twenty people haunting E-bay for a secondary market LE are enough to drive the price up. Unfortunately a minimum pressing is in the hundreds. It is not worth it to sell twenty additional copies.

Each person has to make their own decision. If you really want something, buy it when it comes out. If it falls in the category of nice to have, wait for TRSI's Christmas sales.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
no, no, my friend
you need to wait for deep discounts black friday sale, aww yeah!
2 more months, save your money now

I have the baka test 2 limited edition
I think they are just milking it, I don't think they are left over stock
DVDs are not expensive to press, the paper boxes would cost more

this princess jelly fish on DVD only concerns me, though
I hope this does not become a new trend from bluray back to dvd to save money
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Thanks for the detailed analysis, Dessa. I'd reached roughly the same conclusions searching around on TRSI, but had missed a few like Guyver and the fact that Nabari no Ou only had its first half released on BD. But at least there are just four series that were completely released on Blu-Ray but only released on DVD for its final version. For now. And with Nabari and D.Gray-Man, IIRC the Blu-Rays were such lousy upscales that they weren't really worth it anyway.

Ggultura2764 wrote:
Would this have anything to do with whatever Japanese media companies that Funi licenses titles from only allowing DVD releases at first to prevent reverse importing of Blu-Rays?
It certainly could. As I mentioned, Baka&Test is associated with Kadokawa, who have been implicated in some of Funi's initial DVD-only releases of HD shows. And on closer inspection, Guyver is also associated with Kadokawa, though Princess Jellyfish is not.

Alan45 wrote:
Most likely it is a simple business decision. They likely decided what residual market was available and set the release accordingly. As has been noted before, some of the SAVE editions that were combo packs were in fact left over LE stock with a sticker. I doubt they even bothered with a new print run on those.
The "residual" market must've kicked in awfully soon with BakaTest 2 (the S1 DVD/BD combo is still easily available), because I think I remember searching for season 2 in mid/late 2013 and finding the LEs unavailable. The SAVE version has a brand new insert, updated to reflect the DVD-only specs. If they really did have a bunch of overstock, what did they do with the Blu-Rays? Bury them in a landfill somewhere off I-20 in west Texas?

And in another unfortunate turn, I've found that the BakaTest S2 SAVE DVDs are missing most of the extras from the original release, aside from commentaries and trailers. I'm guessing there was a dedicated Extras DVD (the Amazon page lists 5 discs) that didn't make it to SAVE, even though the case could've easily held a 4th disc from overstock. Or the extras could've been placed with the OVAs if new discs were authored... but maybe this is also Kadokawa forcing Funi's hand. I guess there's historical precedent for cheap re-releases losing on-disc extras, as seen with ADV's thinpacks and such. But I hadn't seen it from Funi yet; the aforementioned Cat Planet Cuties SAVE still contains copious extras.

Either way, gotta say I'm disappointed in how Funi handled the BakaTest franchise, or at least S2. I even watched S2 on Funi's streams (ah, the days when Funimation had functional streaming video) since the hilarious trollsubbers from S1 didn't return, so there wasn't even piracy guilt obligating me to buy S2 in the first place.

BakaTest's DVDs only had those extras and had third DVDs in the combo packs containing the other extras. Funi is saving as much money as they can by only replicating the feature discs because they feel the US market only cares about their extras and the show itself as some posters/fans have said.

With the SE of S1 still in print, it's obvious they over-estimated demand. To make matters worse, their S1 release's BDs were more expensive to make (they actually used 2 50 GB BDs instead of their common 1 50 GB BD/1 25 GB BD for S1 back when replication costs were higher; S2 crammed 10 episodes onto the first BD and had a 25 GB BD2). They likely didn't want to waste the money re-pressing the BDs at a higher cost for cheap fans (who generally only want DVDs anyways), so they saved costs by only doing DVD runs.

Thus you have the shorter run for S2 which sold out unlike the OVAs/S1 (which let them know to do a smaller run) and now a cheap release for everyone else. This is the result of the NA market being cheap because fans are becoming cheap (see Aniplex price rage).

Also, they licensed this from Media Factory, not Kadokawa. It was prior to the merger and they're still working with those reps. The Kadokawa subcompany that Funi pissed off in 2012 with same month BD releases (causing the BD holdbacks) was Kadokawa Shoten's video division. Two separate companies under the Kadokawa Group label.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
None of my SAVE sets are combos, they're all DVD only.
As Dessa laid out, most SAVE sets are DVD-only because Funi never had BD rights to them or they were never available in HD to begin with. But at least we've established that only 4 shows completely (and 2 partially) released on BD have wound up in DVD-only SAVE purgatory, so far.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
This is a regular thing for many of Funi's cheaper releases (SAVE line, Viridian Collection, Classics line) from what I've noticed.
I guess I hadn't seen that too often with Funi, compared to ADV's reauthored extras-free thinpacks. Good thing I got what was probably the last Beck release with those extras. But other Anime Classics releases I have do still contain on-disc extras, such as Spice & Wolf and Witchblade,

Alan45 wrote:
Sometimes waiting for a bargain works, sometimes it doesn't. Everyone makes their own decisions. The fact that you are not guaranteed a Blu-Ray version with a SAVE edition is something that you have to consider in making the decision to wait or not.

Well, forgive me for not being psychic and going off usual patterns of there being LE -> SE -> SAVE, in at least the same formats if not with all the same extras. But in my defense, there wasn't much of a trend line of total BD withdrawal of shows completely released on BD to observe until just recently -- Guyver SAVE came out in December 2011, and it was an anomaly until the BakaTest and Princess Jellyfish solicitations for September/October 2014 came around.

ultimatemegax wrote:
With the SE of S1 still in print, it's obvious they over-estimated demand. Thus you have the shorter run for S2 which sold out unlike the OVAs/S1 (which let them know to do a smaller run) and now a cheap release for everyone else. This is the result of the NA market being cheap because fans are becoming cheap (see Aniplex price rage).
Hey now, NA fans have always been cheap! Laughing But I guess it's my fault for not being able to see the future to know I had to hit that 4-5 month LE window, and for not being willing to pay AoA prices on every show. And if BakaTest S1 was such a devastatingly underperforming failure, why did they even license S2 in the first place?

Just to reiterate through all the tl;dr, I'm not a videophile who MUST have Blu-Ray for everything whether it's actually HD or not. I'm fine with owning the show on DVD for the price I paid, despite the seemingly-random (since apparently it's not a Kadokawa withholding incident) format changes and extras removals that leave an inconsistency in my collection. At least there are other ways to see those extras.

But I don't think it bodes well for the industry going forward if this becomes a wider trend. People are only going to become more insistent on Blu-Rays for their viewing setups, and I can imagine people discovering this and other shows and thinking: "Hey, this show's pretty good, I think I'll buy the Blu-Rays! Wait, I can only get DVDs? You say I should've bought the show two and a half years ago during the 5-month window after release? Screw that, I know where to find 1080p Blu-Ray rips."

And if Funi wants to be a boutique, high-end, "get it now or it's gone forever" premium publisher, maybe they shouldn't try to portray themselves as the mass-market mega-supplier of North American anime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Zallis116 wrote:
Quote:
Well, forgive me for not being psychic

Sorry if it sounded that way. I was thinking of the future now that we have established that a SAVE edition Blu-Ray is not a given. Basically a statement of Lessons Learned
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
no, no, my friend
you need to wait for deep discounts black friday sale, aww yeah!
2 more months, save your money now

...and then wait 3 more months for it to ship and find it's the wrong item or that it is damaged because of their inferior packaging and inept staff, and do it all it again only to have your credit card number stolen from their database and your account cleaned out. No thanks, that place has become super sketchy and I don't shop there anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2