• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Seven Deadly Sins (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

My head hurts just watching this. And not in a good way. The anime seems to like pulling the rug out from under the audience for the shock factor but it really ruins any sense of emotional connection to these characters. Apparently Gilthunder has been under control of the big bad the whole season yet this entire time we were given virtually no clues or hints that this was happening. We suddenly get his little backstory which doesn't really explain how he became this way because "we gotta keep it secret!". So really Gilthunder up this point was never really a "character" but just a plot device. We know that the true aspects of personality were hidden to this point so it's a little late to just tell us "Yeah it wasn't his fault." instant redemption!". Even if he was ordered to do so he still has to atone for the horrible things he's done to the public. I really hope they don't just hand wave that shit.

Because they wanted to keep this whole stupid plot point a secret we never got any incite to Gilthunder's character or what he was really going through being forced to hurt the people he swore to protect. I don't care about your immature plot twists show! I care about the characters! Get it right please!

Hell how did Meliodas's attack not kill Morga? Is it an attack that only kills evil or something? It's called "Divine Slayer" but it's clearly infused with his demonic power soooooooo how is that not a power combination paradox? Well that was never explained so I guess we gotta roll with it. Heck what would Meliodas have done if Morga didn't conveniently come to the top of that building at exactly that time? I'm telling you man the coincidences in this show are even more OP than the heroes! Razz

Episode 21

(throws up hands)
Yeah I'm almost done with this. It was so painfully obvious that Ban was going to have to kill someone close to him to revive his loli lover. That's always how these things work. And Ban of course being the upstanding and swell guy he is has shows no noticeable genuine regrets about doing such a thing nor does he bother to even explain himself. Shit dude this is a world where you can apparently bring someone back to life TWICE (for plot conveniences of course). I doubt there isn't something else out there he could look for to try to bring her back. He's [expletive] immortal! It's not like taking the time to find another means of bringing her back would take to long. Also the way Melioda's arm magically came to Ban's hand even though it was clearly shown flying off to the side of the screen beats any sort of magic I've seen in a long time.

Of course the heroes decided NOT to dispose of the person who has played a great hand in orchestrating this whole disaster. I mean seriously the girl can teleport at will. Who the fudge thought it was a good idea to at least not neutralize her power so she wouldn't come back? Are the heroes SUPPOSED to be stupid?

It's funny how we basically have two damsels in distress that are both being carried around princess style. I don't expect everyone to be badass but these girls are seriously nearly useless. Elizabeth wasn't even really protecting Meliodas. If the big baddy is successful in his plan I'm pretty sure Meliodas wouldn't be in much better shape. The knife thing was pretty laughable since I'm pretty sure with his power the big bad could have just snatched it from her in seconds before she could react. Good thing that guy who was supposed to be locked up came to save her. It's sudden redemption time!

(rant done)

Oh and I still hate you Gilthunder Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Why are you still watching this show, may I ask? If you hate all the characters, and hate everything that happens, wouldn't it be sensible to, you know, stop tuning in? This isn't even a show that's legally available, so you literally go out of your way to download/stream a show that you hate through and through. Doesn't make much sense to me, honestly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hate-watching, but you don't even seem to enjoy hate-watching it or have anything to say other than "this show sucks and all of its characters suck too." Maybe it's time to move on.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
I just like to bitch about stuff. It's my thing Wink

In all seriousness I enjoy this show in a "so bad it's good" sort of way so I genuinely do get a laugh from it every episode. I've been told by a couple manga readers how much the anime cuts so I have a general idea of how rushed it is but still even Chaika which had to be one of the biggest rush jobs I've seen in a while told a interesting, consistent and for the most part logical story regardless. They kept information hidden but it was done so in a way that wanted the audience to learn more about it's secrets not jump in a"OMG I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!" Shamala sort of way. This show sort of just relies on you getting caught up in the silly over the top atmosphere so you just ignore most of it's flaws. Doesn't work on douchebags like me unfortunately Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Why doesn't Gil like spoiler[Vivian, she only kept him and his friend as hostages for years]? I actually want to see more of that crazy Vivian,spoiler[ freaking out over her plans wrecked].

The reveal that spoiler[Helbram was in fact killed and was being controlled through necromancy] was rather sad.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Okay, well i just happened to watch this live in Japan so i didn't get English subtitles, but i think i got the jist of it.

I really enjoyed the episode. Hendrickson is way too overpowered, that even spoiler[Dreyfus] wasn't a match for him... real nasty way to go too. The spoiler[Ban/ Meliodas fued] was put on hold for the meantime (i guess) and it was cool seeing the spoiler[Sins fight together against the demon horde/ Hendrickson.]

Looks like spoiler[Hawk] has a part to play next week from the preview.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Some pretty strong moments, notably in terms of mercy like spoiler[ending Helbram's suffering and saving Jericho]. But it felt like the best part was when Ban spoiler[saw the demon and seeing it similar to what killed Elaine and wailed on him], followed by some spoiler[of Meliodas' moves].
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Solid episode spoiler[although Hendrickson is portrayed as a real jerk this episode. It's somewhat interesting to see Gustav here although his introduction imo is underwhelming.]

Action overall was good especially spoiler[with Ban. Kinda felt bad for King for having to kill "Helbrim" yet again...]

And also with all this going on, it's nice to know the spoiler[5 of the Seven Deadly Sins against Hendrickson.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Extremely busy episode, but how great it was.

The first half was heart-wrenchingly sad. Ban's tragedy and loneliness had already been implied during King's introduction, but it totally broke my heart spoiler[to hear him say it out loud, how, being immortal, he's condemned to never meet his one true love, and how desperate he is to find a way to reach her again.] I love Ban, and I love the passion in his voice when spoiler[he says Meliodas is his best friend, and last week, when he said "I love you Captain" before launching in for the kill]. I'm coming to really appreciate Tatsuhisa Suzuki as a voice actor.

The double spoiler["Please kill me" from Helbram and Jericho] was also painful, especially in King's side because spoiler[he had just had to kill his best friend and now he's being forced to do it again.]

The animation for spoiler[Meliodas's confrontation with Hendrickson] was fantastic, it looked very fluid and dynamic. I also loved seeing spoiler[the 7DS fighting together.] I find their interactions as a team extremely compelling and entertaining, they all have wildly different personalities but their relationships have been fantastically built up so that I have no doubts of the tightness of their bonds and the trust they have in each other's strength.

Good stuff, truly. This series is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Elizabeth's the only character that I feel meh about. A week seems too long to wait.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
I hate Ban so much. He's such a terrible example of how you should do a anti hero character. None of his actions in this episode made me like him. In fact it already solidified the hatred I have for him. It's funny how he's supposed to appear selfless when he offers to give his life to bring his loli girlfriend back yet when it comes to killing his quote "BEST FRIEND" he just says fudge IT! Did anyone not realize that actually makes him appear selfish NOT selfless? We even have to hear this stupid sob story about how he's supposedly ALL ALONE even though the captain/sins have been his friends for ages now. The fudge outta here with your bullshit you man child!

Hawk on the other hand seemed to been an advocate for the audience calling him on his stupid logic. Yes killing your best friend at the request of some goddess you've never met and TOTALLY trust makes sense. You could not possibly find another way to bring back your loli even though you are CLEARLY immortal and have all the time in the world to do so. I should totally sympathize with this love struck idiot? Nope not happening. I've defended characters who have done similar things but the serious lack of emotional struggle Ban had during this episode made him completely unidentifiable.

Also did anyone notice that apparently Ban knows how to stop these monsters without killing them now for some reason but didn't do it for the first person they fought for.................what reason again?

Oh and convenient demon placement is convenient. It never stops with that crap does it? Anime smile.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

Also did anyone notice that apparently Ban knows how to stop these monsters without killing them now for some reason but didn't do it for the first person they fought for.................what reason again?

Gowther probably told them between episodes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well Ban has the situation worse other similar, he has had many year missing his loved one, he obviously would give his life up in a heartbeat if it meant bringing her back, but even worse is that he cannot die to join her or end his misery. It would probably be almost unbearable that he would be jealous of people who had the option. Meliodas himself even recognised that he might have made a similar decision.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Key word.....MIGHT. But it's obviously not something he would do because he isn't selfish. It's one thing to contemplate something like this but ACTUALLY trying to do it is a whole different level of wrong.

To be honest Ban has never looked like he was suffering from missing Elaine. He was very chill when he met her in the underworld place. Didn't overreact about finally seeing his lover even if she was a ghost. So really what was the lead up to this point? Simple fact? There was none. He mentioned what his plan to bring Elaine back to King while being pretty determined about it (which he REALLY should have done when they first met again instead of being an insensitive jerk) but that's literally all we've gotten on this issue. We have barely been given any insight on Ban's suffering. Once again the anime is more concerned about surprising the audience with sudden developments instead of fleshing out the characters. Ban in a sense should be the most tragic character in the show (besides King i guess) but honestly he's ended up being the LEAST sympathetic.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 23:

Oh snap, spoiler[Hendrickson resorts to his demonic form so he really is like a freak of nature now. Good episode overall but I can't help but feel the upcoming finale battle will be rushed.

This show also needs more Merlin tbh.

Good to see Elizabeth's role become more prominent and also, poor Hawk!]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

What do you know, Elizabeth spoiler[might be one of the strongest characters in the show], kind of along the lines of spoiler[Mavis Vermillion]. With her spoiler[hidden super magic she was able weaken Hendrickson and heal a lot of the good guys]. Surprisingly this has had her help before, I think hinting that spoiler[she has healed Meliodas, and that her sister Veronica is still alive because of it].

One episode to go, we have not seen all the Sins, and we have spoiler[casualties with Hawk still dead, and no sign of Gowther being healed either after he suddenly has his head ripped off]. I was lukewarm earlier, but I am excited to see the last episode, but also dreading that it is ending.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd be upset over spoiler[the death of a pig]. Guess there's a first time for everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8