• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cestvs: The Roman Fighter (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Cestvs: The Roman Fighter (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary: At the height of the Roman Empire, Cestvs is a boy who is enslaved and placed in a training school for boxers to fight in the Colosseum.
---------------------------------

The plot sounds like Gladiator meets Hajime no Ippo. And ironically, Rikiya Koyama (Takamura from Ippo) is also in the cast. Might give this a shot just for the potential "gritty sports" vibe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale?)

And I think that is the finale of the season, not that it would easy to know it for sure, only really a good idea because instead of a preview and had a bunch of shots from the season. It was a bit of a "the battle really starts from here" sort of thing in a tournament, I still don't think that it was done well.

In general the show was pretty crummy, owing a lot to that awful CG, which although was consistent, it was not nice to look at. I myself put some of my dislike towards kind of difficult to understand the framing. Were we meant to think that the whole slave thing was just the worst, or that the boxing matches that they were forced to into were cool and exciting. It just kind of felt confusing if we were meant to think the boxing was fun. And it had that really weird thing where I think they said that they said that Cestvs was taken in by the emperor guy, who apparently went crazy in abusing him or something.

In all honesty, I am probably contradicting myself in saying that I did find some of the aesthetics of gladiator fights to be exciting, so it was probably doing something right. I think some parts I just did not care for was that the motion capture just looked weird. Full granted to the show, comparing this to last season's Ex-Arm, there is a huge difference, since its character don't look as awful, or blend 2D and 3D as horrendously. But I don't think that any show wants to be compared to Ex-Arm in any way.

My rating is going to be Weak (3/10), this is one I kind of wish that I did something better with my time, and considering overwhelming the amount of anime has felt I really want to make it so I don't watch any more seasons of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1