• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inou Battle Within Everyday Life (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's kind of the joke. What changes when you get superpowers? Answer: not much.

Yes, I see what you're saying, but the powers are too underused for that joke to even work. The start of the show was "we have powers, we don't know why we've got them, but we use them for silly things in our day-to-day lives". I can dig that, it was a fresh and interesting take on the usual super-powered teenagers stories that we get all the time. This was different, and it seemed fun.

However, in many of the later episodes the basic gist has been "we have powers, but we never use them at all and don't even seem to remember having them". To my memory, not a single power was used (or even mentioned) in episode ten. The characters having powers made zero difference to the harem poolside antics that we were fed.

There's basically two distinct storylines that have been mated together. The first is a harem series about an oddball literature club who all fell for the lone male (and chuunibyou) member, and so they fought over him. (This is basically what we've gotten for most of the ten episodes.) The second is a kind of postmodern take on gangs of wacky teens who get superpowers and fight one another for a prize. It looks like the two different stories were mashed together in the bluntest of ways, and that has made a real mess.

Episode eight wasn't bad in its own right, and the same goes for that whole storyline. But it hasn't been supported by the writers. They basically shoved an immense amount of material on us late in the show; characters, plot, terminology, backstory, etc. Did they follow it up? Did they give that storyline the screentime it needs? Apart from smarmy Shizumu trying to manipulate Sayumi because of something to do with F, no, they didn't. All those characters that were introduced, the way the literature club looked like they'd be swept up in the wider plot . . . and the writers dropped the ball.

If making a mess of your own story and show is "the joke" then I'm not laughing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
Ep 10 was kind of disappointing, but I appreciate how they're going to show each girl gently getting rejected/giving up one at a time. If I were Sayumi, I would have borrowed an oversize Tshirt from someone at the water park to avoid the translucent when wet issue. But that wouldn't have been quite as funny. And she really did look good in that swimsuit.

I cheered outloud when she punched ponytail boy. Jerk had it coming!

So, are we going to have to wait till the last ep to see fairies again?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So, are we going to have to wait till the last ep to see fairies again?

Yep, probably. Hatoko will be featured next week, so unless the beach scenes only takes up half the episode there probably won't be enough time to feature Kaiser and the Faeries.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

In regards to the lolis, their swimsuits are right in my strike zone so I ain't complaining! Waaaaay better than some kind of skimpy bikini.

The problem is more like that there isn't a single decent shot of them in their swimsuits.
Like, they have to actively try to avoid having one or two body shots in a pool scene, but they still managed.
That was uncalled for.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Oh well. We'll just have to wait on Pixiv, then. In the meantime there are plenty of other shows to get our loli fanservice fix. Just one show not delivering isn't something to get worked up about.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
. In the meantime there are plenty of other shows to get our loli fanservice fix.

Um, no. Not exactly.
We don't really have any currently airing.

Other than that, I said it's more than just fapmaterial for me, so fanarts don't count.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Still surprised by the fact that spoiler[Sagami is actually involving himself in the plot, both the mundane and the supernatural aspects of it.]

The first half of the episode, with Chifuyu and her friend, was really sweet. Andou really is such a nice guy, chuuni tendencies aside.

Twice to the water park, and next episode to the beach...Andou's going to be sick and tired of the water by the time the show is over.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Um, no. Not exactly.
We don't really have any currently airing.

Can't win them all. Maybe go back and rewatch Ro-Kyu-Bu or something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I think spoiler[Hatoko might be trying a bit too hard this episode with those ideas from that magazine....]

I thought the little date between spoiler[Tomoyo and Andou was much cuter though with the yutaka and fireworks. Will she finally confess in the finale? That's not the main issue though since it looks like Mirei just attacked Hatoko. Really curious on what the hell is going on now.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hatoko looked good in her swimsuit. Too bad we never really got a good look at Tomoyo in her's.

Normally with this sort of show I'd be firmly in Hatoko's corner. She spoiler[puts a lot of effort into winning Andou over and so I'd feel she's more deserving of him than Tomoyo, who never actually makes a move.] However, spoiler[Tomoyo and Andou still have that strong, natural chemistry while Hatoko does have to force things quite a bit. Hopefully Tomoyo will step up her game now that she's admitted her feelings to herself.] Of course there are more pressing issues at hand...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hatoko has been friendzoned, but she doesn't even know it. Eh, she's mad for liking Andou in the first place so I can't muster much sympathy.

Anyway, it is an indictment on how badly the series has handled the plot that spoiler[I didn't even know who the heck the girl was that attacked the student council president.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Anyway, it is an indictment on how badly the series has handled the plot that spoiler[I didn't even know who the heck the girl was that attacked the student council president.]

Uh, spoiler[you're not supposed to know. It's the first time we've seen her. Though she's probably that F remnant those other guys saw on the video and what's his face called after Sayumi slugged him.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
^
Wait. spoiler[I thought he was the remnant. So he's not?]

Darn it, this is so confusing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
I suppose he could be, but it's the person he called that he addressed as a remnant.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Well I would say that the guy is spoiler[probably the rogue fairy and that after trying to have fun by forcing a pairing decided to get one of the members of F, which he created for fun, and got her to brainwash Mirai]. Looks like spoiler[Mirai is about to kill Hatoko], which is bad because spoiler[I am rooting for Hatoko].

Sure you can say that Tomoyo has some similar characteristics and chemistry, but as we saw here Hatoko has a special part of him where she has helped him with something very important. I thought that it was quite cute how she was acting in this episode. Although chances are it won't happen. :sigh:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9