• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Parasyte -the maxim- (aka Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu) (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, psychological, science fiction
Themes: monsters

Based on the manga written by Hitoshi Iwaaki.

Note: Also known as Parasyte.

Plot Summary: Shinichi Izumi is a normal high school boy whose right hand has become infected with an alien parasite that names itself "Migi" ("right"). Migi is the first parasite to develop a symbiotic relationship with its host, as he and Shinichi slowly develop a grudging friendship. Migi isn't the only Parasite on earth, however, and as cases of Parasites killing humans begin to emerge, humans seek to kill off Parasites. Shinichi and Migi find themselves caught in between these two sides of the struggle over planet earth.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5hHXtiIm6ug
----------------------------------

Madhouse is one of my favorite studios so I have confidence in this adaptation. The preview looks amazing honestly despite some of the artwork seen essentially for the character designs. This is a show basically about a normal guy whose life becomes abnormal after one day when he discovers his right hand is no longer the same before.

With a 2 cour being confirmed, I think they are going to cover mostly everything with minimal fillers. Should be great.

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was great. I liked the choice of the OST and theme songs used overall for the first episode. Not only that but there was spoiler[NO censorship.]

Otherwise, spoiler[I think it set everything up well so far. I mean, we get the main character and his life changes with this alien taking over his hand. I think Migi's voice is quite something but should be easy to get used to. Action was fine too but dang, that dog is nasty]. Good start so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Shame I don't subscribe to crunchyroll. I'll have to wait tip next week. But I've read the manga, so I'm eager to see if the changes are just limited to the character designs as many of us are hoping.

Still, I'm trying to imagine Migi with a female voice, it seems most of the manga readers gave him a male voice (as will the live-action movie, which I also want to see).

One thing that I'm really curious about is how well the anime will be able to mimic the uncanny valley thing in the manga. Certain characters are designed to give off that vibe and Hitoshi Iwaaki draws it so perfectly it's freakish and he uses it only for certain characters and it really adds something.

But someone has already put the OP on youtube! I liked Shinichi at the end for a sec there, looked just like the manga counterpart!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Wtf?!
This is a weird one.
Wow! Cool powers though!
This anime has lots of potential.
It's just interesting enough to not be too weird to handle.
Will give it a try!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I saw it! I think my only complaint was spoiler[the boob grab] not really sure what purpose that served. Because spoiler[Migi wouldn't yet know about sexual desires or have a strong desire to touch female anatomy, though he appeared to be looking it up in class afterwards]. If they did that, then sure as hell better do the spoiler[hand turns into penis] moment! Should be due by ep 3 I'd think. That was a sort of "put the book down you're laughing so hard" moment.

But yeah, I look forward to more, like visiting an old friend for me.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This is good fun, absolutely off my radar but definitely on the must-watch list for the rest of the quarter.

The 80s style character designs contrasts a bit with the update to 21st century technology (Father's tablet, non-retro looking desktop PC).

The ED song is also ridiculously out of sync with the show's premise, but it's well animated. The OP and soundtrack will be worth a listen though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kinda brings new meaning to the phrase, "talk to the hand", eh?

The hand thing is kinda wigging me out, but I like the show so far. Looks like it's going to be fairly trippy. I love that the parasyte sounds so kawaii.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool. Interested to see where it goes.

What did the spoiler[guy stabbing the girl in the alley have to do with the rest of this thing?]
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
I do seem to recall there being spoiler[just a straightforward serial killer not parasyte-infected] that becomes important, but the manga didn't really have him in that early. Could be just adding it in early (after all, the manga is long done, it's easy to figure out if adding it in earlier would be of use)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that it took over twenty years for this to be animated. Glad to see that it isn't being censored like Terraformars is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So this is the type of messed up Thing (get it?) about normal bodies changing in terms of Japanese media. I have come across some messed up doujins in passing, and I saw a weird music video a while back. Seems that this is based on an older manga, I should really hard to avoid getting spoilers, so that means if you have a manga specific spoiler make sure you label it as a manga spoiler before spoiler tagging it.

There seems to be some interesting ideas in here, maybe basic human nature. The spoiler[parasite goes after the brain as it is the most useful part, I guess in most cases it then eats and kills people as to gain food and maybe learn about the body]. I am guessing Migi may have spoiler[touched the girl to help learn, which it followed up by using his phone]. Maybe shows no spoiler[sympathy because it is unnecessary for survival, but following what he wants is]. At first from looking at a PV I was thinking about it as one of the most terrifying ideas to have your body not become yours, but if he is mostly keeping control and not hurting anyone, maybe it is not too bad.

How long before a teenage boy asks his own sentient hand for a favour? By favour I obviously mean......
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
It is nice to see Aya Hirano get a main role. She has been mostly stuck with minor roles, minus the grandfathered role with Lucy in Fairy Tail after that scandal.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

How long before a teenage boy asks his own sentient hand for a favour? By favour I obviously mean......

About 4.5 seconds. And yea, I think you can assume this would be happening every single day Shocked Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
I beg to differ. As a teenage boy, I enjoyed self-handies as much as the next hormone-crazed dude, but that's because my partner in crime was very much UNSENTIENT and thus under my complete control.

Having a freaked out mitt like Migi - capable of morphing into weird shit, including sharp, lethal, bone/iron-like material would definitely spoil the mood for me - I don't care how cute her voice is.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...my partner in crime was very much UNSENTIENT and thus under my complete control.

Ohh come now, that's part of the excitement of it isn't it? You don't know what it might do next! ;0

Quote:
Having a freaked out mitt like Migi - capable of morphing into weird shit...

And doesn't that make it all the more exotic? Cool Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 26