• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

In spite of the dumbness of Murano and Yuuko this show has a surprising number of subtle little interactions like that. In the most recent episode you had the two guys run to their deaths because they suddenly became afraid of Shinichi. The reason was he simply not acting afraid.

It takes a lot of bravery and a thick skin to spoiler[ask students in shock from witnessing the massacre of their friends to walk through a pile of corpses to safety especially when giving the impression of knowing where the murderer is relative to the students' location without concrete reasons explaining why. ]
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10

I'm rather surprised no one has mentioned his glasses missing. Or asked if he's wearing contacts now or something (to which he'd probably need to just lie about that), if someone I know that usually wears glasses suddenly doesn't, I question it. In the manga, he didn't have glasses so maybe the writers forgot that he used to in the anime. I just caught up on 5 eps btw.

Anyway, some changes from the manga that I minded this time around: spoiler[Yuko uses acid in the manga too, but before going to confront him, she thinks through how to defend herself much better at her house that morning, not at the school five minutes before meeting him. She dismisses a knife as he can change his shape and harden his body, making slashing or striking difficult. She sees the nurses' office at school and gets some sort of acid from there before going to confront him blindly and grabbing something from the art room].
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Meh, kinda of a low point for this series.

spoiler[Unsurprisingly she survive, of course because the parasite was super stupid, knew it was gonna happen but still quite the disappointment. Then Shinchi, who's so flustered at learning that he's gone back on his promise that he scream in the middle of the classroom just decide to casually walk trough the corridor, as if there was no urgency, this cause a lot of people to die. And he somehow can't really pin point his location, even thought Migi is usually incredibly accurate. Then when he get there he run away for some reason instead of just quickly killing him, this cause even more people to die. Then he doesn't bother warming the cop, more dead people. ]

spoiler[Then the government organize a super secret meeting where they reveal the parasite weakness, and only after that they decide to check if anybody is a parasite…] Yeah if humanity was this stupid, they'd deserve to be wiped out by the parasite, thankfully we're not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I think my biggest problem with this episode (and it's pretty much a quibble rather than a major complaint) was that the bottle didn't contain acid (as a couple people here and elsewhere have said), it was paint thinner. Solvents are very different from acids. People often use paint thinner (which is usually something like turpentine, mineral spirits, or acetone based) to get paint off their skin (washing up with soap and water afterwards). Breathing the vapors is more hazardous than just getting it on your skin. She'd have done more damage by tossing a lit match at him after he got doused.

I suppose the "out" here is the possibility that the hybrid cells don't react the same way as human skin, but in that case, I'd like a little info as to why a simple organic solvent would damage them so extensively and so instantly.

As for the lack of comment on his glasses, that's annoyed me too, especially since his hairstyle changed too. I really expected a "Whoa, dude, that's quite a different look for you" from somebody, or everybody. Is it rude to make such comments in Japan or something?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think my biggest problem with this episode (and it's pretty much a quibble rather than a major complaint) was that the bottle didn't contain acid (as a couple people here and elsewhere have said), it was paint thinner. Solvents are very different from acids. People often use paint thinner (which is usually something like turpentine, mineral spirits, or acetone based) to get paint off their skin (washing up with soap and water afterwards). Breathing the vapors is more hazardous than just getting it on your skin. She'd have done more damage by tossing a lit match at him after he got doused.

I suppose the "out" here is the possibility that the hybrid cells don't react the same way as human skin, but in that case, I'd like a little info as to why a simple organic solvent would damage them so extensively and so instantly.

As for the lack of comment on his glasses, that's annoyed me too, especially since his hairstyle changed too. I really expected a "Whoa, dude, that's quite a different look for you" from somebody, or everybody. Is it rude to make such comments in Japan or something?

Not paint thinner, but a caustic form of paint stripper. There are hazard labels on particular substances so if it's not safe on humans when they come into contact with it, it won't be beneficial to the parasyte cells either. Strong alkalis have a similar detrimental effect to human health.

Comment has been made on Shinichi's appearance, notably the schoolmates who called for him when the ruffian student from the other school came calling. It's implied Shinichi isn't the most popular person on campus since only Murano and her friends actually talk to him in school, but when Shinichi left the school with the ruffian they did notice his changed appearance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga and don't read Japanese, so I can't read the warning label, but the subtitle said "Paint thinner" so that's what I was going by.

But even caustic paint strippers generally don't burn you instantly as many acids would. They're mostly based on lye, and if you wash up within 5 or 10 minutes, that doesn't burn you even if you spill it on your hand. If you leave it on a little while you might get some red marks (after he left the room, the irritation of it could've fueled his incoherent rage, but we were given a different explanation). The solvent ones have more dangerous chemicals in them, but that's mostly due to inhalation and/or absorption, not burns.

It's no big deal, it just seemed a little overdramatized to me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But even caustic paint strippers generally don't burn you instantly as many acids would. They're mostly based on lye, and if you wash up within 5 or 10 minutes, that doesn't burn you even if you spill it on your hand. If you leave it on a little while you might get some red marks (after he left the room, the irritation of it could've fueled his incoherent rage, but we were given a different explanation). The solvent ones have more dangerous chemicals in them, but that's mostly due to inhalation and/or absorption, not burns.

Whatever it was the caustic solution was, it was not sprinkled on the parasyte's human-host skin. It got its internal tissues drenched with it.

Even for humans I can guarantee you there are many liquids that would be a nuisance on the skin but catastrophic on selected internal tissues. Ever get soap up in your nasal cavity?

So it would seem that when the parasytes deform to attack or whatever, they expose these cells that appear to the professor to be a combination of nerve and muscle cells which make up much of its composition. I can't speak to the biological efficacy of theory of operation, but if true it would make sense that even a relatively mild caustic could cause havoc with the whole nervous system.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Whatever it was the caustic solution was, it was not sprinkled on the parasyte's human-host skin. It got its internal tissues drenched with it.

Even for humans I can guarantee you there are many liquids that would be a nuisance on the skin but catastrophic on selected internal tissues. Ever get soap up in your nasal cavity?

So it would seem that when the parasytes deform to attack or whatever, they expose these cells that appear to the professor to be a combination of nerve and muscle cells which make up much of its composition. I can't speak to the biological efficacy of theory of operation, but if true it would make sense that even a relatively mild caustic could cause havoc with the whole nervous system.

But this only make her plan seems even worse, and force the situation to rely overwhelmingly on divine intervention (read: the author). If you were to throw a paint thinner bottle at someone who was attacking you, the only things they would have to worry about in the short term (i.e. the time it would take them to kill you) was the glass shard, the actual content is pretty much irrelevant.

So her plan to defend herself relied on her knowing that the parasite would break the bottle in a way that would spread the content on his internal structure, and for her to somehow know that parasite inside were vulnerable to paint thinner and would cause him to behave erratically (also relying on him taking his sweet time to kill her).

Also on the bottle (that's pretty nitpick I'll agree) it's extremely unlikely that this was actually caustic paint thinner, there's simply no reason for an art class to have that around, they don't remove industrial grade paint from large metallic piece, they clean there tool and most likely there hand from normal paint. It would be incredibly irresponsible to give them caustic paint thinner, which is also usually sold as a powder and not in bottle. It was most likely an organic solvent based paint thinner, so probably dichlormethane or maybe acetone since they really don't need anything that strong.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Acetone is one example of a paint thinner, but white spirit (another form of paint thinner) is based on sodium hydroxide which is an abrasive to skin and toxic when ingested.

No entries for 油彩剥離剤 in a dictionary, but splitting the first two characters from the last 3 gives a match for the latter as "stripper", not "thinner". Since the first two characters refer to oil paint, paint stripper is a much better translation. It also differs from thinner in that some variants (we are not shown exactly what chemical was used) are toxic when ingested and abrasive when in contact with skin.

The angle in which the bottle was split open mean the solution was directly over the parasyte's head, leaving anything under the neck completely exposed. Shimada also commented on how spoiler[some of his cells had died which was prevented him from reforming a human face with cells outside the line of communication "locked" into parasyte attack mode. ]

It's still a deux ex machina from the authors allowing the artist to survive (regardless of substance), but for viewers it's supposed to clue us in onto weaknesses the parasytes have when they control human bodies.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So her plan to defend herself relied on her knowing that the parasite would break the bottle in a way that would spread the content on his internal structure, and for her to somehow know that parasite inside were vulnerable to paint thinner and would cause him to behave erratically (also relying on him taking his sweet time to kill her).

Her "plan" such as it was was more likely along the lines of blinding her attacker, which most of the chemicals that would likely be in that bottle would do. However when it came down to it she was nearly in a blind panic and actually did pretty well to throw the bottle at all. Actually hitting the target on purpose was out of the question.

What happened then was sheer luck for her on two levels. The parasyte did not have to break the bottle but did so either out of reflex or spite. Right over its own head. Then it just turned out that the contents had an effect she in no way could have predicted. Even the parasyte didn't know. How could she?

Lucky for her I should say. She still needed luck to get away which she did. And in exchange 17 other people were killed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
white spirit (another form of paint thinner) is based on sodium hydroxide

Nope.

Anyway, point taken about the exposed tissues. I think it was just bugging me that so many people here and there were saying it was burned by acid. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
I think the more important thing to notice was that the parasite noticed that it caused a problem of not just burning it, but made the cells unable to properly receive orders. It is all made out of the same type of cells so it could make it unable to change in the first place, the fact it is made of many cells uniformly may be its weakness. It would be interesting to know if has to be usually highly dangerous solvents or weaker ones may have an effect.

I don't know a lot of things, but looking around I found solvents specifically affect the nervous system, apparently causing "narcosis", which may be why it affects something is entirely made of a smart muscle.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
white spirit (another form of paint thinner) is based on sodium hydroxide

Nope.

Anyway, point taken about the exposed tissues. I think it was just bugging me that so many people here and there were saying it was burned by acid. Smile

Oops, wrong thinner. But the page you've provided has other info on why it's not a good idea to have acute contact with substances like these.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Great episode overall. It really had two distinctive moods - spoiler[one that is casual and almost silly with the dream sequences from Kana and the other being brutal with the massacre.]

Now that the spoiler[parasites are making their move in public, they'll be even more influential..]

I feel bad for spoiler[Kana though this episode. Must of been hard for her to witness that kiss although I think she realized who Shinichi liked in the beginning.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Damn, those Parasytes are making weird moves.
Scary things keep happening around town.
Izumi had a nice day out with Satomi.
Didn't think I'd see a romance in this anime.
She still has her doubts suspicions about Izumi though.
Kana kinda got her heart broken..
Looks like parasytes are getting into politics ROFL]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 26