• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Two things piqued my interest this episode:

1. spoiler[ Parasytes are immensely strong, so why go out of the way to annihilate a Yakuza office as an "experiment"? ]
2. [spoiler] Following on from the hints in earlier weeks about Parasytes needing to evolve or die, why choose the route of democratic elections when just a single councillor in the national Diet isn't going to change the big picture? spoiler[

The dream sequence was a little cringeworthy, but I'm not sure where Kana got some of her details from.]
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
When did parasite become able to not only regenerate wound on non parasite part of there body, but also completely change appearance?

That changes quite a bit, if they can do that then migi should have no problem being able to take over completely or at least create his own body and live with it. In one way it make sense since otherwise he wouldn't have been able to create a new heart for Shinchi. I'm just not sure if that's retcon territory or if thats something that will eventually be reveled (i.e. Migi could have left but he decided to stick with Shinchi).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
When did parasite become able to not only regenerate wound on non parasite part of there body, but also completely change appearance?

It changed hosts after the fight. Those guys spoiler[that followed him around he corner into the alley -- one did not come back.]
Harleyquin wrote:
1. spoiler[ Parasytes are immensely strong, so why go out of the way to annihilate a Yakuza office as an "experiment"?]

Notice that it did what it did without morphing.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
meiam wrote:

It changed hosts after the fight. Those guys spoiler[that followed him around he corner into the alley -- one did not come back.]
Harleyquin wrote:
1. spoiler[ Parasytes are immensely strong, so why go out of the way to annihilate a Yakuza office as an "experiment"?]

No I know, I'm referring more to being able to change it's host to a new body and the implication for migi, and more specifically the ability to re-create part of there body that have been hurt, when he came out he had none of the wound from the battle on him, despite only his head being a parasite and the rest supposedly being normal human.

In almost all the fight before this, the parasite didn't use anything but there head/blade, most just stood there. It was implied, at least I thought, that this was because the rest of there body was normal. But here we have one that has super strength and regeneration. I'm just wondering if its supposed to be an evolution of the parasite.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
If you had trouble understanding what happened, clearly the parasite spoiler[altered the body, the experiment was to see how training and pushing the human body to the limits and not just fighting via the head, could be used in combat]. The body was hspoiler[uge, the muscles must have been trained extensively to increase speed, stand gunshot wounds, and even able to control muscles to grip and break blades or perhaps to block up gunshot wounds].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
meiam wrote:

Harleyquin wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Mr A. did mention he needed to "fix his face" after being smacked with a pipe in an early scene. In addition, changing appearance was already confirmed by Shimada when he went to hit on girls.

The Yakuza killer didn't change to "Parasyte attack mode", but he clearly manipulated his arm and the muscles to break off an embedded blade and then propel the edged shard into a Yakuza's forehead. Not to mention allowing a katana to pierce through part of his "human" forehead and then changing tissue structure slightly to make it easier to extract. After the Shimada episode, it's clear bullets and edged weapons are ineffective unless the head and heart are mortally wounded.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
Right, being able to change body on it's own isn't problematic, nor is being able to boost there body. It's the combination of both that get's problematic. When migi fused with Shinji he said he had to split himself into multiple part and inject them into Shinji real body, this cause him to have to sleep and also meant he lost a lot of himself in the process (I think he said 20%) and he also said he couldn't get those part back. So when yakuza killing parasite went on rampage, his body was boosted (you can't train a normal human body to regenerate), the only way we know parasite can do this is by injecting themselves into the host (after all Shiji was no stronger before migi fused and all previous parasite weren't using there body, even thought if they had super strength it would be a huge advantage against migi/shinji since they couldn't do that).

But then if they did do the injection only to afterward switch body, that would mean they would lose part of themselves every time they'd switched.

I see 3 possibility:
1) The author thought of it and were supposed to consider that implication in relation to migi (he could leave possibly overtake Shinji and decided not to).

2)The author thought of it and we'll learn that parasite are evolving more power (again this could foreshadow further evolution in migi)

3) The author retcon the parasite power, and from now on battle will involve more than just standing around swinging blade.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
The body did not regenerate, because the parasite is the brain of the body it simply can completely control it past normally safe levels.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Right, being able to change body on it's own isn't problematic, nor is being able to boost there body. It's the combination of both that get's problematic. When migi fused with Shinji he said he had to split himself into multiple part and inject them into Shinji real body, this cause him to have to sleep and also meant he lost a lot of himself in the process (I think he said 20%) and he also said he couldn't get those part back. So when yakuza killing parasite went on rampage, his body was boosted (you can't train a normal human body to regenerate), the only way we know parasite can do this is by injecting themselves into the host (after all Shiji was no stronger before migi fused and all previous parasite weren't using there body, even thought if they had super strength it would be a huge advantage against migi/shinji since they couldn't do that).

But then if they did do the injection only to afterward switch body, that would mean they would lose part of themselves every time they'd switched.

I see 3 possibility:
1) The author thought of it and were supposed to consider that implication in relation to migi (he could leave possibly overtake Shinji and decided not to).

2)The author thought of it and we'll learn that parasite are evolving more power (again this could foreshadow further evolution in migi)

3) The author retcon the parasite power, and from now on battle will involve more than just standing around swinging blade.

Considering Migi only forms part of Shinichi's right arm (prior to the emergency surgery), I'm not sure relying on what it says regarding cell regeneration necessarily applies to the full-body parasytes.

I don't know if you watched last week's episode when the government coroner gave his analysis to the committee, but the full-brain parasytes are supposed to function like "control towers". I interpreted it to mean full-body parasytes spread their cells throughout the entire human body (heart, brain, the works) and are free to manipulate muscles and skin as they see fit since unlike Migi the full parasyte organisms are not restricted to just an arm.

When Shimada was riddled with bullets last week, he was bleeding considerably but it is uncertain if this was a result of the body's cells not obeying orders from the control tower due to the paint stripper or from inherent inability to regenerate as you argued.

Outlier B Oda survived the fight with the Shinichi parasyte despite clearly having a hole in his chest. Going by your argument of "human body cannot regenerate", Oda would have died from shock unless the cells were commanded to stem the bleeding.

During Shinichi's fight with the ruffians (before surgery), his friend commented on how the right hand (and arm) were completely unhurt despite bruises all over the rest of his body.

The Japanese wikipedia gives a brief summary of the biological characteristics of parasitic beings. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/寄生獣

The relevant passages (lifted both from source material and the anime) are listed below:

寄生部分の役割

頭部は自由に変形しゴムのように伸縮したり、鋼鉄のように強くすることができる[8][40]。刃物の形状で攻撃する際には鉄をも切断するほど強力であり、重いものを持ち上げる腕力と動きの素早さも尋常でなく、一般人の動体視力ではその動きを捉えることすら不可能に等しい。

頭部やその他の特徴

頭部を切りつけられても容易に再結合でき、生命や思考力に危険は無く、再度血液の循環する人体内などへ入り込めば生命を維持できる。ただし、あくまでも「寄生生物」に過ぎず、宿主の内臓や消化器官を借りて生きているため、主要な内臓の機能が失われれば死んでしまう。

身体能力を引き出す

寄生体は、宿主の体を身体能力の限界に近い状態で長期間稼働させることが可能である。劇中に登場する学者、由井の分析によると「全身の司令塔の役割を150%も果たしきる能力を持っている」とされる[40]。作中での島田は体育の授業で優れた身体能力を活かしてスーパープレイを披露している。ただし、Aのようにコンクリートを素手で殴って腕が折れるなど、寄生部分以外の限界はあくまでも人間のままである。
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Google Translate wrote:
The role of the parasitic part

Head and can stretch freely modified as rubber, can be strongly as steel [8] [40]. When you attack in the form of cutlery is a powerful enough to cut even the iron, quickness of brute strength and movement to lift a heavy object is also not unusual, in the general population of dynamic visual acuity be even impossible equal to capture the movement.

Head and other features

Be slashed the head can be easily re-join, without the risk to life and thinking, it is possible to maintain a life if Hairikome to, such as in the human body to the circulation of the blood again. However, last and only "parasite", because it is alive with the help host of internal organs and digestive organs, major internal organs of the features will die if lost.

I bring out the body's ability

Parasite is possible to operate a long time host body in a state close to the limit of physical ability. Scholars that appeared in the play, is according to the analysis of Yui as "have a whole body's ability to role play as possible also 150% a playmaker." [40]. Shimada in operating and has been showing off a super play by taking advantage of the body's ability to excellent in gym class. However, it hit the concrete with bare hands arm is broken such as A, limit other than parasitic part is merely remains of human beings.

Well that certainly makes everything clear. Rolling Eyes
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have the time to post a DIY translation for the Japanese wikipedia info, even if I did readers wouldn't believe what I put down anyway since they can't verify it for themselves unless they can proficient in the language.

If someone does ask, I'll give it a go when I have more time. I'm about to lose internet access for a short while from tomorrow onwards hence I doubt I can get going.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: The following translation from the Japanese wikipedia is my own. The content more or less speaks for itself, but those who are going to take issue should note that the wikipedia lists the manga volumes as its source. Readers are free to ignore the post if they trust strangers with unknown linguistic ability in foreign languages outside of English.

寄生部分の役割

頭部は自由に変形しゴムのように伸縮したり、鋼鉄のように強くすることができる。刃物の形状で攻撃する際には鉄をも切断するほど強力であり、重いものを持ち上げる腕力と動きの素早さも尋常でなく、一般人の動体視力ではその動きを捉えることすら不可能に等しい。

Roles of the parasitic body parts

spoiler[ The head is able to change shape at will, for instance it can expand and contract in a similar way to rubber and can harden itself to the strength of steel. Attacks made with bladed appendages have sufficient strength to cut through iron, the carrying capacity and speed of movement of the parasitic parts surpass normal expectations, to the extent that the kinetic vision of ordinary humans is unable to grasp the movements of the parasitic body parts. ]

頭部やその他の特徴

頭部を切りつけられても容易に再結合でき、生命や思考力に危険は無く、再度血液の循環する人体内などへ入り込めば生命を維持できる。ただし、あくまでも「寄生生物」に過ぎず、宿主の内臓や消化器官を借りて生きているため、主要な内臓の機能が失われれば死んでしまう。

The Parasyte "head" and other special features

spoiler[ Although the head can technically be detached from the body it is easily reconnected with no danger to life or thought processes, vital signs are easily maintained as long as the parasyte is allowed to burrow through the human host via the bloodstream. However, the parasyte is limited by the limitations of its organic host due to its reliance on the host's internal organs and digestive tract to survive, if vital organs lose functionality the parasyte will perish. ]

身体能力を引き出す

寄生体は、宿主の体を身体能力の限界に近い状態で長期間稼働させることが可能である。劇中に登場する学者、由井の分析によると「全身の司令塔の役割を150%も果たしきる能力を持っている」とされる。作中での島田は体育の授業で優れた身体能力を活かしてスーパープレイを披露している。ただし、Aのようにコンクリートを素手で殴って腕が折れるなど、寄生部分以外の限界はあくまでも人間のままである。

Exploitation of physiological potential

spoiler[ Parasyte organisms can operate for long periods at the very maximum physical level possible through full utilisation of the host's physical potential. According to the analysis of the scholar Yui in the series, "One of the control tower's roles is the ability to draw out 150% of the host body's physical potential." Shimada in the series showed off some incredible ball skills during Physical Education by applying his host body's athletic capabilities to their fullest extent. However the limits of the host's body outside of the parasitic component do not defy normal expectations for human bodies, as shown when A punched through concrete with his bare hands with a fracture to his hand being the result. ]

The above is a bit rushed and I've taken liberties with the original grammatical structure. Anyone who finds it useful is free to read the above and draw whatever conclusions they see fit, those not happy with potential "breaking of forum rules" can report the post.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the wiki info mostly support my point (something funky is going on and the parasite in the latest episode, it either had to boost his body which means he lost some of it's "parasite mass" by changing body or there was some change with how the parasite function, either recognized by the story or not).

But overall whenever there's a contradiction between different source, I will always trust the main source (i.e. the TV series over writer interview or art book comment) because it's what's I'm watching.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember musclehead parasyte bleeing at all during this episode, so if it's not regeneration it's probably something to do with full control over the body rather than just a part of it.

Oda's parasyte made a similar comment, especially since it can only manipulate Oda's neck and chest plus the inside and nothing else. The exact comment was something along the lines of "mature specimen" (完成体)

The anime has source material which is manga-based. From comments on this forum, it appears it's quite a faithful adaptation with very little changed out to reflect the passage of time. All of the wiki information uses the tankoubon as sources, so if anyone unhappy with apparent inconsistencies should just read the source material and find answers there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
This last episode suggests that spoiler[what they're trying is something similar to what Migi did to Shinichi. If they've purposefully sent out some of their cells to enhance the host's body in various ways, it would make sense for them to test it out to see how well it worked at giving the body superhuman powers, i.e., just how super the human became. In their case though, they still control the actions of the whole body, whereas Shinichi is in control of his enhanced body.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 26