• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
This is impressing the hell out of me so far. It would be a good cat and mouse type story even without the creepy factor, but it's so wonderfully inventive on that angle as well. I'm very optimistic about them maintaining this quality, since so many shows I've ended up being disappointed by started to show at least some faint cracks by now. I'm not seeing anything here yet to give me pause. Smile
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
They cut quite a few scenes this episode. spoiler[The lion scene was pretty throwaway anyway, but I wish they'd kept Ryoko disclocating her shoulder after throwing the molester (and him confronting her later) and A-san breaking his hand, since those scenes showed the relative frailty of their human bodies and also A's contempt for humans.]
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
This is probably as gruesome a show as I've ever enjoyed. Still early in the game, though. Hope they keep this up.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Man I wish Shinichi wasn't stuck with doing all the exposition, they could probably cut 5 minute off by removing all the obvious question he ask, or when he just repeat what someone else says. It's kinda annoying how he spend tons of time getting to the point we all know he's eventually gonna get to (i.e. running away from the other student). After seeing Tamiya being a millions time more interesting, I kinda wish Shinichi was just overtaken by Migi and the show would have been about Migi figuring out what he is and how to live in society.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Man I wish Shinichi wasn't stuck with doing all the exposition, they could probably cut 5 minute off by removing all the obvious question he ask, or when he just repeat what someone else says. It's kinda annoying how he spend tons of time getting to the point we all know he's eventually gonna get to (i.e. running away from the other student). After seeing Tamiya being a millions time more interesting, I kinda wish Shinichi was just overtaken by Migi and the show would have been about Migi figuring out what he is and how to live in society.

And that would make it much harder for the audience to relate to the story. We are human beings, after all. Making a story more accessible by having a human protagonist with human problems makes the story more interesting, to me at least.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

And that would make it much harder for the audience to relate to the story. We are human beings, after all. Making a story more accessible by having a human protagonist with human problems makes the story more interesting, to me at least.

Hummm it kinda has the opposite effect on me, I start thinking "I'm not all that smart, but even I would have figured it out faster than he does" and I start rooting/relating to the bad guys because there not dumb as as a sack of brick.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:
Good well rounded episode of action and emotions imo. I like spoiler[how they were able to take down Mr. A. Well, Migi being a combat expert doesn't surprise me so....]

The second half had more spoiler[emotions and I have to say that Shinichi should be quite grateful to have such a caring mother (at least based on that flashback). Tamiya looks like she has abandoned her human life but I think she is still interested in it with that human baby she plans to give birth to.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
A vs Migi!
Damn! Awesome fight!
It was interesting to see spoiler[the surprise of counter attack.
Tamiya finished]
it off with a bang.
Still, things went in a different direction with spoiler[Tamiya].
Wonder if spoiler[she'll] be back...
Flashback to spoiler[Shinichi's past] was a nice addition to the story.
Looks like spoiler[he's going through a transformation.
Being joined with Migi is changing]
him slowly..
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll ever get tired of that OP, it psyches me up every week for this show.

I'm particularly curious about the reason why spoiler[Ryoko's parasite decided to avoid fighting Shinichi. Is Migi gradually transforming and taking him over? Or is it something else? The "mobility" experiment also heavily indicates that Migi isn't exactly satisfied with it's current state of affairs. ]

Shinichi's Mom is a champ, no indication that she resents her son at all for what happened to her hand. But I am worried for her safety these upcoming episodes...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Parasyte just keeps wheeling out the awesome, week after week. I love how this show has a bug eff premise and but still actually makes me take it seriously. In any given episode, I'm laughing, I'm tense, I'm intrigued or I'm emotionally touched. Sometimes in rapid succession.

This week's theme was definitely spoiler["motherhood."] You could tell that Ryoko was intrigued by how spoiler[her "mother" knew that she was not her real daughter so quickly even] though she didn't appear to have "any special abilities." Laughing And I loved Ryoko's attitude spoiler[toward her own human baby: "eh, I can mebbers experiment on it or if I need some nosh...whatevs."]

Need I mention how hard I laughed when Shinichi's dad asked if he'd been spoiler[spanking the monkey?]

Argggh, I hate having to wait a week for my next fix.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
This is good anime, but my God I am going to kill people behind sound direction and music composition. There was weird track that sounded like it came off from video game during the battle and one piece of music just continued to go on for a full minute and it encompassed different scenes that were meant to be tonally different. Somebody, really needs to do a fan edit where they remove all of the music and put in whatever they want. Far sound are more appropriate than this music.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Ryoko: You know what? Bite me. I'm outta here.

Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
I love this show so much!
Ryoko spoiler[got rid of her no good (and not too bright) baby daddy with a bang! She could have played the victim in that staff meeting, too: "my boyfriend died recently in a horrible accident! Don't fire me, I'm about to become a single mom!"]

Blood- wrote:

This week's theme was definitely spoiler["motherhood."] You could tell that Ryoko was intrigued by how spoiler[her "mother" knew that she was not her real daughter so quickly even] though she didn't appear to have "any special abilities." Laughing And I loved Ryoko's attitude spoiler[toward her own human baby: "eh, I can mebbers experiment on it or if I need some nosh...whatevs."]
spoiler[Ryoko Tamiya: giving new meaning to the phrase "bun in the oven " Very Happy] (I've been sitting on that joke for a week!)
The whole second half of the episode...wow...[Manga Spoilers]spoiler[things are going to be *brutal* when the sh*t hits the fan in the next couple of eps, aren't they? That was major emotional set up for what's to come.]
I couldn't have asked for a better adaptation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Episode

Took until the end of the episode to realise something. The scar on spoiler[the hand would be a good way to identify his mother's body, and the episode mentioned multiple times of the possibility of parasites moving the head from one body to another]. I think I see where this is going now.

About the spoiler[teachers questioning her about being pregnant], not sure if it looks particularly harsh now, and if it would have appeared a little more understandable when the manga was written.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

spoiler[Ryoko Tamiya: giving new meaning to the phrase "bun in the oven " Very Happy] (I've been sitting on that joke for a week!).

spoiler[Well.... I was kind of thinking it also gives new meaning to the words "Baby Food". I'm sorry... I'll see myself out.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 26