• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
do some research on the parasite, reverse engineer the parasite sensing ability and then fix the entire problem right away

Yep, easy-peasy. Rolling Eyes
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

Thus far, Shinichi has killed the spoiler[dog parasite ], spoiler[random human parasite ] and spoiler[Mr A. ] although for the third the finishing blow was dealt by the explosion. For the first, the animators deliberately showed off what was left of the organism decaying rapidly into some sort of sludge. For number two, Migi slashed it up badly before it too turned to sludge. Nothing remains for number three since it got blown to kingdom come.

Shinichi took on the first two in deserted areas (ok the first was a park but no one saw them and you wouldn't see sludge as anything special if you didn't know what to look for), as for the third nothing would have been left for government authorities to collect even if they knew what to look for.

I haven't read the source material, but spoiler[other sources suggest that governments only become aware of the parasite problem much later than anything we've seen aired to date.]

Maybe you didn't watch the first episode, but Migi made it perfectly clear to Shinichi why he couldn't take the course of action you've suggested. If you don't take either of the characters at their word, that's your decision. It's a fait accompli for both readers/viewers and the series writer that Shinichi doesn't call Migi's bluff, but the latter don't lie and have no propensity for humour so...

The dog never dissolved, the second one was in maybe 3 piece (still looked liked a giant tentacle fused with an head), explosion do not vaporize body, it would still be in very good shape.

None of the area were deserted, one was a park surrounded by house, the second was an empty lot in a commercial/housing area the third one was in a school who the cop had already been called to.

Since Migi said that he didn't want to be known by the government, he was attacked by 5 parasite, at this point the parasite are far more a threat than human would be, spoiler[especially since he now has to sleep and can't detect them asleep.]

Reverse engineering the parasite power does not require them to understand it or even reproduce it, they could just capture a parasite and use it to lure other parasite.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The dog never dissolved, the second one was in maybe 3 piece (still looked liked a giant tentacle fused with an head), explosion do not vaporize body, it would still be in very good shape.

None of the area were deserted, one was a park surrounded by house, the second was an empty lot in a commercial/housing area the third one was in a school who the cop had already been called to.

Since Migi said that he didn't want to be known by the government, he was attacked by 5 parasite, at this point the parasite are far more a threat than human would be, spoiler[especially since he now has to sleep and can't detect them asleep.]

Reverse engineering the parasite power does not require them to understand it or even reproduce it, they could just capture a parasite and use it to lure other parasite.

It sure looked like a dissolve dog to me in the first episode. For the second, the head was decapitated so I'm not sure what you were on about. For the third, the news report never mentioned the identity of the mysterious school attacker since the body was blown to kingdom come.

Shinichi refused to become a government owned test tube and frankly I don't blame him. If he did choose that option, this story would have ended at episode 1 as a one shot series. Migi is perfectly capable of carrying out his threat of cutting off an eye, ear or tongue from Shinichi should the need arise.

Talk is cheap, I suppose it's easy to do what you claim because it comes naturally to you. Why not watch a few more episodes to see what the world has store for Shinichi before jumping to conclusions? Of course, you're free to give up on the series and jump to something else more your fancy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Great episode overall. spoiler[Perfect action and I find that new guy kinda interesting since he is also able to retain his personality. Now I wonder how far Shinichi has changed mentally. He already has some physical changes as shown during his fight against the parasite that took over his mom. At the end of the episode, he seems to be a lot more confident and accepting of his current situation.]

Anyways, it looks like spoiler[Shinichi and his father can get some peace knowing at least the monster that took over mom is gone for good now.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Shinichi meets someone like him.
That guy was way more pathetic though.
He was lucky he stumbled on Shinichi.
Looks like Migi & Shinichi both evolved quite a bit.
Uda got unlucky.
Shinichi vs mom!
That's what I was waiting for.
Interesting how Uda finished her off in the end.
Guess Shinichi doesn't have to feel bad about her death now.
I like the new Izumi ^^]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
That was a good episode. Nice mix of action and character development.

spoiler[Uda's parasyte has disadvantages that Migi doesn't have as a right hand, but the combination they form is still strong. I like the way Uda's parasyte talks, since Migi's use of formal written speech is such a contrast with the language reminiscent of a comedian or actor used by Uda. ]

spoiler[I don't think Shinichi's father has any clue what happened to his wife and I doubt his son is going to let him in on what happened. ]

spoiler[Shinichi's superhuman physical abilities probably take a toll somewhere, I didn't expect him to just fall asleep after talking to his dad at the cliff. Regardless, olympic-class sprinting speeds along with unbelievable high-jump ability and kinetic vision is quite a trade-off for Migi going to sleep 4 hours a day. ]
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:

spoiler[Shinichi meets someone like him.
That guy was way more pathetic though.
He was lucky he stumbled on Shinichi.
]

Was he? It seems despite the 'spoiler[pathetic-ness' he came in very handy in the end, and Shinichi himself was quite lucky to have Uda around.] Not to mention that Uda's parasyte spoiler[managed to shift the organs to avoid the attack, pretty clever.]

Good episode, some interesting bits of information, like the 'seeds' parasytes come from, and it was nice to see a tiny bit of light-heartedness too. The gang girl seems to be able tospoiler[ detect parasytes now, or at least Shinichi. ] wonder how is that possible?

Harleyquin wrote:

spoiler[I don't think Shinichi's father has any clue what happened to his wife and I doubt his son is going to let him in on what happened. ]

The dad definitely knows more than he shows, I think he is doing what he is doing for the sake of his son. He does not know that Shinichi is aware of what has been happening, so he wants to protect him by denying the truth to keep up the appearances.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Didn't watch the first episode did you? The source of the parasytes is clearly illustrated, not to mention the OP animation.

spoiler[As to what extent Izumi Sr. believed what he saw, viewers might find out more as the series progresses. It's difficult to square the policeman's account of his wife being seen shortly after he went over the cliff for him. ]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Didn't watch the first episode did you? The source of the parasytes is clearly illustrated, not to mention the OP animation.

spoiler[As to what extent Shinichi Sr. believed what he saw, viewers might find out more as the series progresses. It's difficult to square the policeman's account of his wife being seen shortly after he went over the cliff for him. ]

I watched it but cant remember really all that much, and I found the OP really annoying, so I skip it every episode.

As for the father, even Shinichi said that the father knows a lot more than he admits the last episode, and probably the father knows Shinichin knows the mother is dead, but they decided to keep up appereances. I think the father went with what the police said not to appear crazy and for the sake of Shinichi himself. At this stage people know about the murders, but they know nothing of the parasites, so no one would believe him if he described what he really saw.
They seem to have this unspoken agreement not to mention the truth.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
This was by far the best episode so far. The new character they brought in was a great way to expand the scope of the parasyte situation without adding too much complexity. They just add in spoiler[another guy similar to Shinichi to show he's not the only one, and give him a potential ally.] It also allows for more development of the parasyte race in general. spoiler[Not all of them are just psychotic devourers. Like Migi, the parasyte for Uda seems to recognize the value in allying with others and humans for survival.]

I was really really hoping that the show wouldn't spoiler[deliver some "twist" at the end and have Uda and/or his parasyte go crazy and try to kill Shinichi. Most shows nowadays are so obsessed with constantly shoving "twists" in our face, so they can't just let a character be what they appear to be. In this case, the show cut against that trend by making Uda just as he appears. A friendly, emotional guy who is in the same situation as Shinichi. It was great that he and his parasyte survived (through his parasyte's clever thinking) and delivered the final blow to the mom-clone.]

A+ episode here.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
On a different topic, what does everyone think of the job Aya Hirano (Haruhi Suzumiya) is doing voicing the part of Migi? I didn't know it was her until I read a disparaging comment somewhere about her doing the role. In some circles it seems her very existence is hated.

Personally I think she is fantastic. The even, clipped syllables she puts out in Migi's voice just really fit with the idea of an intelligent yet ultimately pragmatic alien.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
^I think Hirano's doing a fantastic job. The whole mess about her was always completely stupid and sexist, so I was honestly pretty happy to see her in a leading role again, but really she's just doing a great job. I love the depth of emotion she's able to give Migi without deviating from its robotic, alien tone. I especially like that even though Migi's voice is high-pitched and even kind of "cute", there's a razor-sharp edge hiding just underneath.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also allows for more development of the parasyte race in general. spoiler[spoiler[Not all of them are just psychotic devourers. Like Migi, the parasyte for Uda seems to recognize the value in allying with others and humans for survival.]]

No, it's still sociopathic behavior. spoiler[Uda's Parasite was willing to ally for pragmatic mutual protection. So long as Migi was no threat to him, he had no reason to threaten Migi, and there are other forces out there that would be dangerous to face alone. Without Shinichi they might still have survived that one encounter (though perhaps not as "mother" might have sensed that he was still alive without the distraction), but chances are he'd never have been able to deliver the killing blow alone.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
On a different topic, what does everyone think of the job Aya Hirano (Haruhi Suzumiya) is doing voicing the part of Migi? I didn't know it was her until I read a disparaging comment somewhere about her doing the role. In some circles it seems her very existence is hated.

Personally I think she is fantastic. The even, clipped syllables she puts out in Migi's voice just really fit with the idea of an intelligent yet ultimately pragmatic alien.

I am a fairly big fan of Aya Hirano, with such roles as Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucy Heartfilia, and Konata. She is doing a good job here, and has been something I have kept in mind. The controversy was pretty horrible.

Episode 7

We need a spoiler[nickname for the other guy], I put forward "spoiler[Neckasite]". It seemed spoiler[Neckasite could shift organs, I don't remember Migi mentioning such an ability, perhaps an advantage of its position]. So is there like some deal that his body spoiler[has been made perfect from little Migis, and that makes him grab the attention from girls]?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

No, it's still sociopathic behavior. spoiler[Uda's Parasite was willing to ally for pragmatic mutual protection. So long as Migi was no threat to him, he had no reason to threaten Migi, and there are other forces out there that would be dangerous to face alone. Without Shinichi they might still have survived that one encounter (though perhaps not as "mother" might have sensed that he was still alive without the distraction), but chances are he'd never have been able to deliver the killing blow alone.]

You are skipping some things. spoiler[Uda's Parasite didn't only ally for pragmatism. It was genuinely curious about Migi's situation and wanted to exchange information and become acquainted.] This is different from nearly all the other parasytes we have seen. All the others are extremely homicidal and will try to kill Shinichi and Migi on sight, and it's not just to eliminate a threat. In fact, A-san saw Shinichi and Migi as clearly beneath him and just wanted to kill them because "he could."

The only other parasyte who hasn't tried to kill them is Ryoko, but that was only because she is scientifically minded and wants to study them. However, she would have killed them if she hadn't later realized that Shinichi was changing due to Migi's influence. She seems to have a heightened level of intellectualism, but at the same time, she is still extremely homicidal like the others.

spoiler[Only Migi and Uda's parasyte so far have not been extremely homicidal. It seems that perhaps in part, the circumstances of their maturation has allowed them to exceed their homicidal programming. They can sustain themselves just on their host's blood and don't need to "feed." But the fact remains, they are not homicidal and the other parasytes are.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 26