• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
I have been saying for a while how eerily similar the two are, so it really is no surprise to me spoiler[that Kaori snapped just like his mother would]. I was saying how unhealthy it was, that sure you could say that it is helping him, but also that she is doing it is as kind of selfish as his mother.

spoiler[If you did not think it, I would say that it is likely that Kaori is doing the same thing in wanting him to improve before she goes, its why she doesn't want him to do anything else, just like his mother was doing].
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

That was spoiler[quite a performance imo. From my perspective and based on that performance, I think Nagi and Kousei did well with the duet. The audience was captivated by the tune and rythym.]

But as for now, spoiler[I think Nagi still has a lot to learn. I smell some jealousy though this episode. D]:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Japan, you need to see a therapist.

Honestly. There's just something about a lot of recent anime that is just really turning me off what seems to at least be the people in it's entertainment industries ways of thinking about the way the world works and the way people are. Like it's really starting to make me wonder of late.

It's just really fucked up and quite cynical in an uncomfortable way but not in that xenophobic kind of way that is just common for main stream Japan in general, but sort of like the anime industry seems to be advocating in a lot of shows for social outlooks and ways of behaving towards others that strike me as just kind of mean-spirited and bizarrely counterproductive. Like as in these people and the solutions they have for things could never function or work out the way they do in any other setting but the anime's universe because simply put it's just not the way actual people work at all. It takes me back to the comment that Hayao Miyazaki said about the anime industry being full of people that don't spend nearly enough time around other people to get an understanding of how people typically behave and act towards one another both at their best and worst and it's a particular problem when it comes to drama.

It's hard to describe it exactly what the key issue is because there's no clear cut message in particular, but I just see a lot of championing of characters that are just kind of these idealized types that kind of just treat others like...well....shit for lack of a better way of describing it and like that's the proper way to get ahead in life. What's more is a lot of these shows play it off kind of lackadaisically like there's not room to even question what is transpiring in these shows as anything other than positive and a depiction of healthy human relationships. For me Kaori and Kousei's has never really been depicted as a particularly healthy or genuine one at least as far as the anime's portrayal goes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 18:

That was spoiler[quite a performance imo. From my perspective and based on that performance, I think Nagi and Kousei did well with the duet. The audience was captivated by the tune and rythym.]

But as for now, spoiler[I think Nagi still has a lot to learn. I smell some jealousy though this episode. D]:

That's more than I got from this episode; The only thing I got from it was 'Have I seen all of Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty or not?" 'cause I couldn't remember all the words they added to Tchaikovsky's waltz and it was bothering me all through the performance. I'd get to "Once upon a dream" and get stuck.

It's not that I have weird priorities, I don't have any. So I looked them up.

"You'll love me at once
the way you did once
upon a dream"

The ending, how appropriate {no wonder I got stuck}. Too appropriate in fact, the first line, a hope bordering on despair while the second is past tense.

What does it make Kaori want to do? spoiler[Waltz with Kousei] so maybe I wasn't the only one thinking of these lyrics. And how it relates to how Kousei once viewed Kaori... once upon a dream.

Four shows left. Time to pick up the pace.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
"He's teaching me all kinds of things. He's giving me all these precious experiences" lol

I think this anime will end when Kaori and Kousei play together in a stage again. It will have no romance.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

Solid episode overall. spoiler[It established the premise of which the competition is still intense and fierce with Takeshi taking the stage this week.]

And not to mention, we also have a good amount of focus on spoiler[Kaori and the risk she is willing to take to get a surgery in order to cure her condition. I hope it will work out well...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 19:

Solid episode overall.

I would say better than solid -- perhaps one of the top episodes so far. We got a performance and the three performing stars are beginning to relate to each other on a meaningful basis again. Arima has at least grown out of his totally isolated automaton stage and that is most welcome.

And a great performance.

It is good to see Kaori back in the story again.

Also, something a bit irrelevant but I want to write it anyway. I think I understand what kind of illness Kaori has now. It is a spoiler[marginally operable form of cancer. Unfortunately I have had some acquaintance with at about 10 cases of cancer over the last 10 years and have learned a lot more than I ever wanted to about it. My primary provider says I know more cases of cancer than she has in her whole practice. What Kaori has looks like piece of two or three of those cases, on attribute is that it is potentially curable and the other is that the operation to do so is very dangerous. The third attribute doesn't fit as well, but I can imagine a tumor that is applying pressure to the spinal column causing Kaori's physical deterioration. ] (the prior is not really a spoiler because it is speculation, but I thought many people would not be interested in the details.)

In any case it is good to see her fighting against it. Even if she dies I will feel better about her character because she won't have just faded away in defeat.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

That was interesting in terms of both characterization and plot development.

spoiler[We can also see a bit of insight from Arima's personal narrative based on the flashbacks. I also find it interesting on how natural he is able to admit his feelings for Kaori to Wataru even though I think it was obvious that the latter knew.]

spoiler[I'm preparing for the worst now because it does not look like Kaori's condition is getting any better than it is now. I just hope she won't die through the operation but that suffering........]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
That was quite an episode, especially the ending. I got the distinct feeling in the episode along the lines that the show say that indeed boys can be just as fragile girls. Maybe say also that girls can be just as strong as boys, but a number of things happened from spoiler[Tsubaki kind of confessing and Kaori having what looked like an at least almost fatal attack.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
That was quite an episode,

I can't imagine a more loaded episode. So many clues and symbols.

The cat. Was it Chelsea I wonder?

Kosei being held upside down.

Tsubaki's hits don't ever reach the music room. Tsuboki, do you really want a rebound?

This anime leave me in an emotional knot.

BTW. Cats don't have blood types. Any cat can be a blood donor to any other.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
BTW. Cats don't have blood types. Any cat can be a blood donor to any other.

Where did you hear that? It's not true. Most American cats have type A, but the ratio of A to B varies in other countries (not sure about Japanese cats), and among breeds.

Anyway, poor Kousei. He got hit from every side in this episode, both physically and emotionally. :(
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Well this was emotional. spoiler[This penultimate episode seems to have bought together Kaori and Kousei again and explores their relationships after everything they've been through together. I think that's pretty important considering how much she has influneced him up to this point. She seems to be scared but at the same time, I admire her courage to go through an operation like that.]

spoiler[Good performances on stage as well. ]

Next week's finale is going to be the end of this ride D:
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Good for you, Kaori. Even if you end up dying we will all be sad but at least your character was worth it.

Arima, you got what it takes too.

I really love how Armia's once-bitter rivals Takeshi and Emi are now his tacit supporters backstage even as they are competing against him. A wonderful sense of maturity there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Several episodes ago the teacher was thinkspoiler[ing that another tragedy will help define Kousei as a great pianist]. And now on the spoiler[cusp of another tragedy, she sees it almost destroy him, and she is pretty much powerless].

There were some emotions mixed into here, and with the finale next, I am sure a number of us are looking for what will happen.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I've absolutely loved this show from day one. It bums me out to no end that it, Cross Ange, and Aldnoah Zero are all ending within a few weeks of eachother, coupled with Legend Of Korra ending back in December. There's gonna be a massive void in my life come the end of March.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12