• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
reposting this from the talkback thread because I think it's pretty interesting if you're also an eva fan

The use of eva references in this show is quite interesting and makes a lot of sense: the piloting of an eva as a metaphor for the performance of music runs throughout the entirety of NGE, with Shinji's cello and the concert allegory in death and rebirth, and even EoE when the pinnacle of Asuka's piloting is accompanied by Bach's Air.

The dynamic between Kousei and the audience at the beginning of his performance in episode 21 was very reminiscent of that between Nerv and a pilot with a terrible sync rate due to psychological issues, and the flashing of faces as Kousei recovers his resolve to play draws obvious parallels to 26 of NGE. Kousei's muttering in the stark white hallway "I need to perform, I need to perform (because I'm a pianist/pilot)" is very early Shinji as well.

The fundamental idea is that musical performance and the piloting of an eva are physical manifestations of the subconscious of the pilot/performer and thus both essentially cathartic, reaching their pinnacle when a larger amount of emotion is successfully translated into the instrument/eva through the elevation of subconscious emotions to conscious thoughts and then to physical actions.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
^ I don't find this very convincing.

High stress and post-trauma situations are common in stories and anime in particular so of course there will be similarities in how the characters behave. Rarely does any author invent a brand new set of behavior rules for their characters for each story and when they try it almost never works out.

So Arima and Shinji both end up in the fetal position at some point. So what? They both breath air and eat breakfast I'm sure. All you are pointing out is if it rains and they go outside without an umbrella they both get wet. Not really very profound.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
^ I don't find this very convincing.

High stress and post-trauma situations are common in stories and anime in particular so of course there will be similarities in how the characters behave. Rarely does any author invent a brand new set of behavior rules for their characters for each story and when they try it almost never works out.

So Arima and Shinji both end up in the fetal position at some point. So what? They both breath air and eat breakfast I'm sure. All you are pointing out is if it rains and they go outside without an umbrella they both get wet. Not really very profound.

I was talking more about the relationship between Kousei, his instrument, and his audience juxtaposed against the relationship between the pilot, the eva, and nerv than particular similarities in scenes or the fact that they both feature traumatized characters.

But if you don't find the similarities profound then that's fine, I just thought it was interesting that episode 21 makes pretty direct throwbacks to directorial decisions made in Eva.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 (Finale):

Good ending overall and although predictable was quite satisfying with Kousei's ultimate comeback on stage for one final time in this show (unless OVA proves me wrong with more music)

Hmm, spoiler[I can't say I'm surprised by the ending regarding Kaori's death though. I mean, it was already heavily hinted with tons of death flags. But for what's worth, she was able to tell her feelings in a letter. That letter contains the message of a 'lie', that she told in April (heh funny since the show ended today which is actually a March). I never really felt a connection between Kaori and Watari anyways so the lie didn't entirely surprise me either. But with all these connection and storytelling, what we got is a ride not just built on music alone but an ultimate comeback for Kousei with this journey.]

Rating it very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 (finale)

A very fitting ending.

I had a number of problems with this series, a number of moments felt kind of hypocritical, kind of the double standards attached to Kaori. But it was this last episode that we were waiting for spoiler[the BS just to be put away with Kaori admitting that she never had an interest in Watari, for to apologise for being a bit of a brat, because she was not allowed to slow down]. In the end Kaori spoiler[passed away, and in my opinion it was the right way for this to end so it did not become some story about magically healing from injury in the end], which I know sounds rather cruel. spoiler[Tragedy] was the way for this to have its spoiler[final legs and take a bow] as a good anime, but at the same time I also want to say that this spoiler[direction was so obvious] that I cannot give it too much credit.

It got a reaction out of me in the end, got me spoiler[close to tears when we had Kousei reading Kaori's letter], and makes me feel that it would be important to look back at her past actions. The memories made in the show. I would usually totally eat this sort of thing up because of tragedy, yet hope in moving forward, some interesting characters, and there were some really good music scenes, especially in concerts. But I really was not a huge fan, will probably seem low to some, but I am rating it Decent, I didn't lose my time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't spoiler[the letter] that got my tears flowing, it was spoiler[Arima's expression when she appeared in his mental vision, and he somehow knew that meant she had died rather than him just hallucinating his worst fears.] I'm also a little disappointed we didn't get to see the audience's reaction (other than the silly Arima! sequence), just because I'm curious spoiler[how they received that obvious outpouring of grief on stage. Do you applaud something like that?]

Even though this tugged at the right heartstrings, and the music was beautiful, I still can't say I'm a fan of this. I never really liked either of the girls (though I did like Tsubaki's friend), and the guys other than Arima weren't around enough to really register much one way or the other. But for those who were enthralled by it, I can still understand why.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It wasn't spoiler[the letter] that got my tears flowing, it was spoiler[Arima's expression when she appeared in his mental vision, and he somehow knew that meant she had died rather than him just hallucinating his worst fears.]

Pretty much this. If the momentum of the scene hadn't been broken by my internet's collapse, I would've bawled at that moment, and how spoiler[Kousei's face starts to contort in grief while he plays]. It was the most beautiful scene of the episodes, and very possibly, of the entire series. And I lovedspoiler[ the piece they played together and the execution, it really transmitted Kousei's grief]. I guess rather than spoiler[people dying], what really tugs at my hearststrings is spoiler[people grieving those who've died]. Also, that high note of the ending song, when the lyrics go "Kimi ga inai to..." (when you're not here) actually did pull a single tear out of me.

This was a fantastic finale. The last stretch of the show really pulled it together. Too bad Hiroko was such a shitty despicable character and too bad for all the shitty "Oh yeah, Kousei's mom was abusive, but she actually meant well" garbage they pulled in the middle portion, plus the completely uninteresting/borderline annoying Nagi plot thread that came to an espectacularly terrible conclusion with the "Of course I'm not wishing I was Arima-sensei's piano" scene, because had it not been for that, I would've easily rated this show Masterpiece. I'll settle for a Very Good, which is actually high praise seeing how much I was hating it during the Nagi arc.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
No time for a full review of what I thought about the series. All I can say is that I personally rank a shade below Masterpiece. So, Very Very Good.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
Well that definitely got me teary.

The thought that that might happen was definitely in the back of my head, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that it would come true. Perhaps it's because I haven't seen a series with a spoiler[sad ending] in a really long time.

Excellent finale.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
I rated Your Lie in April Very good.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
OVA #1:

So, found the newly released OVA earlier today. I loved it.

The focus of it is centered around, really, Emi and Takeshi and the years they spent competing against Kousei as children. We see and hear Kousei's performance that made Emi start balling like a baby and decide to become a piano player. Even as a kid, Kousei was tearing that piano up.

Most of the episode revolved around Takeshi as we see him really struggle to find out what makes Kousei so much better than him and how to be just as good. With the two of them being the strongest support cast, it was nice to have an episode devoted to them and their developing piano careers.

OVA was also filled with plenty of fun little scenes that were developed plot points in the actual series (we see little Kaori run past a construction area that turns into the park where she and Kousei meet; we see the moments leading up to the picture of Kaori with Kousei in the background). All in all, it was a short, fun filled trip down nostalgia land.

Of course, it wouldn't be Your Lie In April without feels. As the episode ends, we see Kousei sit down, all excited spoiler[and say Mom's coming to see me play today.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
OVA #1:

Nowhere to be seen on the CR site. Typical.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
TRNielson wrote:
OVA #1:

Nowhere to be seen on the CR site. Typical.

I only found out it had been released via Facebook.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
From reading lot of praises, I have got impression that this show should be something exceptional.

Now I have watched couple of episodes of it, I see that the concept is beaten to death, we have seen it many times already.

It is hard to get excited about yet another slice of life drama with the premise that is not really original.

Will something extraordinary come further in the series? Or something impressive has already happened in those two episodes that I have seen, but I missed that?

Or this is what we actually get, and people are super charged about this anime as it is because this is a melodrama (like, exempli gratia, Clannad)?

Few more initial thoughts:

1) The setting is not quite believable, though. The lass behaves at first as if she does not know why the lad stopped playing piano. Children's classical competitions is a small world within a small world, and a star leaving the scene would certainly make people know that the lad had spoiler[sick mother that eventually died]. Creators should have rewritten this part to avoid it looking artificial, because it pulls viewers out of the world they are trying to create, makes them think "All right, this is what authors had to do to set up for a certain scene to happen".

2) Also, having yet another violent female lead is super annoying; it is one of the worst cliche in anime. It is used and abused so often that it is borderline insulting for women by now.

3) Another thing I never understood is why glasses frame's temples all sudden partly disappear when characters are drawn in side view. It is absurd, makes no sense, no need for that. There is usually nothing especially expressive in the eyes of the characters that would be seriously tampered by drawing actual temples. (Also, artists do not have to draw that thick plastic glasses frame design from 1970s and 1980s.) Hopefully this bad habit of artists/animators will go away, just like, for example, inverse curvature of characters' eyes in lateral view -- this insanity almost gone for many years already.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Oops

Last edited by Treeborn on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12