• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@ Treeborn: Since you're replying directly to someone who said they'd only seen the first couple of episodes, in this case it would be kind to cover that spoiler. It's by no means clear if he's avoided the discussion past the episodes he's seen or not.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ah, my bad. Just thought it'd be OK since its an old thread and the series concluded. But you're right. I removed the comment since my phone is bad at editing.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
From reading lot of praises, I have got impression that this show should be something exceptional.

The show was exceptional. Just obviously not to your taste.
Quote:
Will something extraordinary come further in the series? Or something impressive has already happened in those two episodes that I have seen, but I missed that?

You will have to watch it through the end, but I would say what you should be looking for how Arima manages to break past his current barriers and starts to grow again. The story is emotionally intense and not on just one issue. I can't really say more without getting into spoilers.

Quote:
1) The setting is not quite believable, though. ..

This is hard to respond to because you will have your own standards of believability. However I believe it is realistic that: 1) mental affliction is often successfully hidden from neighbors and the community, and 2) neighbors and the community often do not see what they should see particularly when it comes to child abuse. You would think a small community would be more sensitive to this but in fact I don't think it makes any difference.

As for Kaori not knowing -- if you accept the above then of course she wouldn't know what is wrong with Arima. She's the same age, she idolizes him, and the adults don't talk.
Quote:
2) Also, having yet another violent female lead is super annoying; it is one of the worst cliche in anime. It is used and abused so often that it is borderline insulting for women by now.

Yeah well more than one commenter has remarked on that but I think that misses the point in this anime. Karori appears abusive but what is revealed by the end that she is a force of nature battling against forces that will spoiler[eventually overcome her.] In that perspective Arima is little more than collateral damage -- but does she really damage him? By the end of the story you will wish you had seen more of them together. I certainly did.
Quote:
3) Another thing I never understood is why glasses frame's temples all sudden partly disappear when characters are drawn in side view. It is absurd, makes no sense.

Odd that you should complain about that. There are dozens if not hundreds of other features of anime art (and animated art in general) that take liberties with "reality" in a way that is intended to enhance the effect of the viewer experience. Examples: Anime hair is often a color not found in the real world. Anime eyes are a frequent topic of discussion for newcomers. (Ever see one of those real life models that make themselves up to look like an anime character? Eerie.) Hands are often drawn without joints, particularly in motion. And so on. Do you have a problem with all of those as well? For my part I support the "transparent eyeglass temple" effect. After a while you don't notice it you notice the effect the artist intended for the character.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy:

Thanks; this means that nothing suprising will happen, but emotional rendition of this standard storyline might be strong nonetheless. My guess that this show is similar to Clannad seems to be correct.

And yes, I know that, of course, there is more to lass' traits other than her being abusive, otherwise this anime would not get ratings this high. My point that is this violence is actually perfectly avoidable in most cases, authors do not have to go there.

As to non-realistic things in anime: of course, they exist, it is maybe main point of anime. But in this case it is so glaring and unnecessary; with part of frame's temple just blatantly cut out, topological coherence of image is broken. It is unrealistic in different dimension, comparing to other unrealistic things such as too big eyes. Animators should draw a thin frame, not thick plastic style from 1970s/1980s, if they care so much about showing as much of an eye as possible.

Continuing observations after watching few more episodes:

4) animation is consistently good, and, in some scenes, is artistic, above average;

5) another issue with setting: the show depicts that two lads and a lass were friends from the time when they were very little. It is not quite believable since boys and girls usually do not share interests, do not play together -- unless they expose homosexual tendencies. It would make the show more unusual and interesting, if the the girl would have feelings towards main lass, for example, but the project does not seem to go this way, so this depiction of friendship of the girl with two boys (since childhood) is not consistent with what happens with those characters;

6) this anime suffers from flashback abuse; authors suggest that viewers have attention span of a chicken, which is not a way to show respect for viewers;

7) at certain point main lass says she can not play piano for/with little children as an excuse to spoiler[force the lad to play it]. But it is not believable since violin players always learn to play piano; piano is basis/default instrument no matter if further you will find out that you play it worse than, say, violin;

8) mental training allegories about music and performance are standard to degree that they are boring;

9) of course, the show is highly predictable: I knew few episodes back that the lass will draw the lad to spoiler[performance, and that he will fail at first, and that they will heroically overcome it right on the scene.] I must say this does not make me excited. I want something not expected to happen;

10) ovations at the end the scene from #9 were overboard, not believable, considering how butchered spoiler[the performance] was;

11) pianist lad's competitors are pathetic: they are bitter, and find the drive in the goal to make him pay attention to them. Not sure that this is realistic attitude; just too melodramatic/mangaish, so to speak. Without true immanent love for music, that is primary and fundamental over everything else, success is highly unlikely, and yet those two are shows to take top three positions mainly just because of the leading lad. It is one thing to see a great performance when you are child and to fall in love with the art and the music, but it is totally different to fall in love with the performer, and going to music for the sake of him, and losing interest in it if he goes away. This is not how thing go in reality, and this is how believability of the characters, and, hence, all of the story, is undermined;

12) the way events and characters unfold, including the mother, the show looks more like cheap soap-opera, than honest drama; it reeks of bad taste. Authors hit nearly all of cliche of overboard melodrama;

13) in one of later episodes the main lad is playing in a competition, and he plays bad and seems to want to stop. Weirdly, all characters are shown to protest this decision, even though it is blatantly absurd as in such circumstances it would be perfectly logical;

14) it is super annoying how everyone is sweating profusely; I have seen competitions, and can attest that this is just another anime's bad cliche/fetish. Some people are sweating, and others are not;

15) what characters say, dialogues are pretty bad. They talk endless utter banalities on every subject, it is unbearable. This can work only if viewers are seven year old or something -- the age when it it is time to here trite thoughts for the first time;

16) considering how sadly predictable it is to where things are going, a more honest view on this situation would be the lass being incredibly selfish and cruel as she has toyed with the feelings of the lad, has made him her spoiler[farewell] pet project, without caring how it can ruin him to the utmost degree in the end, and this time for real and without possibility of recovery. She is no different from lad's mother, who was also selfish, violent maniac that has turned her son into pet project. Of course, since it is soap-opera style melodrama, nothing of this truth of the situation is intentional; viewers are expected to take the story at face value, feeling sad-happy about how things have turned out, how wonderful the lass spoiler[was];

17) violin gala concert drama is not believable, because the lad would certainly have phone number of lass' home, and even without that lass' parents would have informed her accompanist and concert organizers that she will not spoiler[come]. Also, the lass that is childhood friend of the lad would not run to him to inform him about the fact that the violinist lass spoiler[collapsed and in the hospital], she would just called him;

18) too many characters in this anime are not really likeable, despite authors suggesting otherwise. For example, the blond-haired pianist lad is shown to kick a trash bin, which is repulsive as it is an insult to person who cleans the place; respect for other people's work or lack of is firm sign on whether a person is rotten inside or not;

19) the idea that whole bunch of people keep visiting spoiler[the lass in the hospital] for weeks and they do not know what happened to her is ridiculous soap-opera-only possible scenario move; not believable;

20) the writing is lacking also in the way how little chlldren talk; for example, mail lad as child says spoiler["I am soulless puppet my mother created", and his lass friend replies with speech about "regrets"], what is not quite believable for a children to say;

21) sometimes heroes say "sankyu" instead of "arigato", which is annoying;

22) at one point main lad's lass friend runs through the rain and says it tastes like a lemonade. In reality this means she ran through acid rain, result of pollution;

23) at some point main heroes already know what is going on with the spoiler[main lass], and yet they continue their petty drama on who avoids whom, whether there is jealousy or not. Not of this matters any more, so this whole subplot is blatantly fake;

24) main lad sees spoiler[cat that was hit by a car and runs to a veterinary clinic with it], but it costs significantly. The lad would not have such big sum of "pocket money" with him to deal with that; not believable;

25) there is no way spoiler[the lass would be allowed to leave her hospital room], the more to go to the snowy roof; the danger to get cold and die quickly is too high. There is also no way a lad who is not insane would help her with that, and yet this is what this anime shows -- not believable;

26) the lass was shown to have spoiler[symptoms of a neurological decease, a brain tumour. This is how surgery can theoretically help in some cases. But yet she is depicted on surgery table with her hair intact and with medical cap on, as if she is going to have surgery in some other place. And even if you would suggest another candidate, tumour in lass' neck/upper spine, then he should be depicted laying on her stomach.] Makes no sense; and it explains why in all those anime authors afraid to name any concrete spoiler[illness], it is always some "mysterious spoiler[tragic decease]", because what authors depict does not feet to any real spoiler[illness], and is absurd most of the time;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12