• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
And lol, I can't help but laugh at spoiler[Ryouta again for falling for another pretty girl.]

Yep, Ryouta has a new crush. The most predictable thing about this anime.

So my question is -- how does it get any better than this? If this is competition at the local middle-school level, what are the international venues like?

And how does robot-player-who-cant-hear Kōsei win this?

Also, I can begin to see the bridge that Takeshi and Emi have with Kōsei. They posed for all those 1st-3nd-3rd pictures and he doesn't even remember their names.

But what I really like is how they can both talk to Kōsei so casually and meaningfully at this juncture.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I thought that I would just be waiting for our lead, but with the rivals playing I don't even care he did not make the episode. The guy was good, but the girl, Emi, spoiler[had a performance that lured the audience's attention in, and then grabbed it, taking it on a temperamental journey].

But still they built up an image of Arima as just cold, and they are kind of surprised that he does like their play. Her teacher seemed to realise that his situation was not rainbows, it was almost like she was saying that it was kind of cruel yet as a teacher she could understand it.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
This show is gorgeous. Easily my favorite new show of this season.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Tsundere piano playing and a tsundere playing piano - only in anime.

Ok, their rivalry has nothing to do with him but rather what he represents; That's ok for them. So any sort of action or interaction from Kousei would be pointless. That's also ok? Except, of course, if he fails utterly to live up to expectations and their grudging respect turns to petty hatred.

If Kousei does win, I'll be disappointed.

Of course, none of this has to do with the main story and is nothing but a distraction, a none starter to put off Kousei's performance as long as possible. The episode seems to say something about rivalry in general with two examples in particular explored through flashbacks but I don't see Kousei caring if he plays better than someone, even himself, if he can't play at all. {Also, I don't see him caring if he plays better than someone period}.

All flash, no meaning. Yes, they can play. Yes, they are moving forward even if they can't drop their feelings toward Kousei. However, the show's not about them so unless both of them confess their love for Kousei {go for it} then the show's just wasting my time.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking if you were watching this show for the conflict, then you are wasting your own time.

kousei's only "enemy" in this series is himslf; that is established early.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Great finish for spoiler[Emi with her performance. I'm not sure I can say the same for Arima from the latest episode if he keeps remembering the past. Honestly, his mother had issues and those last words he said to her will definitely haunt him..]

As for the competition, I just hope he can at least finish ispoiler[t since he can't apparently hear his notes atm.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Midousuji, you look so very different with glasses...shorter somehow.

Even more than his mother, spoiler[I wanted to take a cane to that attendant who just stood there instead of wheeling her back out of striking range.] Evil or Very Mad
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Jesus in a Handbasket -- all those people were aware and nobody ever mentions such a clear case of child abuse to the authorities?

And damn. It looks like spoiler[Kaori is really ill after all. Those amount of meds look like the mountain of stuff my wife has to take while fighting cancer with chemo. I really really want something good to happen for that girl. ]

And Kousei is spoiler[under water again.] I don't know how much more of that I can take. They drag it out for hours.

What a great show.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Well, they do drag it out... but... I'm honestly glad that he doesn't seem to just spoiler[recover overnight and is stealing the show with an A+ performance.]

@Haruhitoy: I think there are several thousands of cases where everybody knew that a child was being abused yet nobody did anything. It's really sad and makes you wonder why.

I dearly hope though that the series won't use more violence as jokes. It's so weird to see violence used on an already damaged boy. Luckily there was no place for any of that in the past episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

No joke, he is a victim of child abuse, his mother beat him up and wrecked him emotionally. All those people that knew it and did nothing are also terrible, doing nothing is just letting it happen. I mean even a teacher should have seen the bruises and contacted the authorities.

The irony in that a new girl who takes a lot of medication is forcing him to play. She has previously belittled his performance making him feel responsible for her situation, and I think she has even assaulted him. Big difference has been that she is telling him to undo the way he learned, but still she really is not that different from his mother.

My take from this series, mental health care in Japan must be absolutely horrible. If he is struggling shouldn't some teacher try to help him overcome his problems? They would probably get quite a bit of recognition.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
Kousei was miserable and stuck in his shell and he was going to stay that way until someone tried to rehabilitate him.

Kaori is not at all like his mother. She's not "forcing" him to do anything he doesn't subconsciously want to do. She's just giving him the push he needs to get back in the saddle. And yes she was very pushy with him, because he needed to be pushed. His childhood friend treated him like a porcelain doll since the death of his mother and she got nowhere.

He's probably going to fail a lot before he can get over his trauma, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't love music, or that he doesn't want to perform again. He clearly does.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

Kaori is not at all like his mother. She's not "forcing" him to do anything he doesn't subconsciously want to do. She's just giving him the push he needs to get back in the saddle.

I can see that from a level, he needs the help to move on.

But on another that is as bullshit of an excuse of saying that a man did not rape some girl because it was not forcing her to do anything she did not subconsciously want to do. He jus pressured her a whole lot saying she has to do it, and then guilt her, add in emotional manipulation.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Kaori is not at all like his mother. She's not "forcing" him to do anything he doesn't subconsciously want to do. She's just giving him the push he needs to get back in the saddle.

I can see that from a level, he needs the help to move on.

But on another that is as bullshit of an excuse of saying that a man did not rape some girl because it was not forcing her to do anything she did not subconsciously want to do. He jus pressured her a whole lot saying she has to do it, and then guilt her, add in emotional manipulation.

....did you just compare a slice of life story about an eccentric girl pushing a wounded musician back on the stage to....rape????

Just so my head doesn't explode, I'll just point out that in.....rape...saying the girl "wanted all along" is not in fact true. It's what rapists tell themselves to justify their crime. If it the girl did in fact "want it all along," it is not rape by definition.

Kousei wants to play the piano again. This isn't a justification for abuse, he actually wants to be pushed. And even in an alternate universe where he's being pushed to do this against his own will, it is still nowhere near comparable to rape.

I'm going to shower now and forget this comparison was ever uttered.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

....did you just compare a slice of life story about an eccentric girl pushing a wounded musician back on the stage to....rape????

No, I used an extreme comparison to show that possible abuse should not be forgiven for such reasons as "subconsciously wanting it". A girl might on a subconscious level want to have sex, but what matters is that they make the decision themselves, and when they say no then it should mean no. If they are distressed about the act despite wanting to do it on a level, then they should not be forced to suddenly go in the deep end.

His mother was wrong for trying to rush him and make him do exactly what she wanted. This girl might be letting him be more creative, but she is also making the decisions for whether he does something and rushing him because she herself is ill.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My take from this series, mental health care in Japan must be absolutely horrible. If he is struggling shouldn't some teacher try to help him overcome his problems? They would probably get quite a bit of recognition.

I really don't know much about how mental health actually care works in Japan but we can say that mental illness that is poorly handled by family and society is pretty much a standard anime trope.

With an important excpeption: we very often have seen pre-teen children handled in anime with incredible and inspirational care and sensitivity. The children from Totoro, or Usagi Drop, Figure 17, come to mind along with secondary characters in many other anime. Yet once they hit puberty that seems to change. And then there's Kousei who was exempt from the get go.

Finally, I wouldn't cast aspersions on Japan in this area without also taking note of the atrocities that are taking place right now in the so-called advanced nation called the United States.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12