• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the greater anime I have watched.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Unfortunately it seems she has gone on a redemption path too quickly.

I agree, for a series supposed to be roughly 26 or so episodes, it's really poorly paced. As in an "everything's moving way too fast for its own good" kind of pace.[/spoiler]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
So you're saying you'd rather her be in denial for several more episodes? For now she's at least accepted her situation, but she's far from redeemed. I doubt she's going to be all buddy buddy with her fellow pilots any time soon and certainly won't apologise for her behaviour.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
This is one of the greater anime I have watched.

Amazing how it turned out to be so much more than what all the haters insisted it was after the first episode.

To be fair to Ange, she personally never enlisted so I can't see how they can charge her with desertion. Of course the owners of conscripted armies throughout history would disagree. And I would lay the blame for the spoiler[three] deaths on command. You don't throw total noobs into a dangerous battle like that with such slim preparation or supervision. I suppose it does weed out the survivors pretty quickly though.

Too bad spoiler[Zola] bought the farm. That one was totally Ange's fault. She had a lot to teach Ange but it seems her successor is a bit of a libertine as well, going by the preview.

When did Ange get her ring back anyway? I thought it was taken from her.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
The thing she was riding being able to spoiler[transform back and forth] within a few seconds was really neat.

And yes, I was ready for the end of denial Ange as well. We already knew she was going to wake up at some point, no sense in dragging out the obvious.

Last edited by Bugnin on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Adding to the list of things that cause mechs to explode in Sunrise shows: Falling into water.

I really don't think spoiler[magic ring] was any kind of necessary for the story they're telling so far. Even highlighting spoiler[her rock-hard nipples after the fight] made more sense as a story element.

Kuwashima Houko is Vivian, doing a voice I don't think I've heard from her before. I'm sure Vivian would be annoying as heck if she was part of a group I worked with, but she's essentially the character who knows she's in an anime, which makes her amusing to me as a viewer.

The previews continue to give the "bubbly idol who broke a nail" treatment to the super-heavy stuff in the show, which should be a dissonance I enjoy, but for some reason just rubs me the wrong way.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
When did Ange get her ring back anyway? I thought it was taken from her.

Jill had it with her the entire time, and I guess decided to slip it on Ange while she was being treated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well that was brutal. After seeing spoiler[Coco die we are then given the death of Miranda, being thrown from her mech and torn apart with a severed arm visible]. And later Ange is spoiler[even more stupid and gets the Zola killed when she decides that she has to cling to her, we see her body hanging and blood poring from her open eye socket].

Still thinking that there is no merit to the earlier scene?

Off topic, but I could not help thinking that the OP sounded just like something from Nanoha. Actually realised that Ange's VA who does the OP (Nana Mizuki) also sung the OP songs there, and also voice Fate Testarossa. Blonde hair and in desperate need to redeem, there is something here, except Fate is one of my favourite characters while Ange really needs to make a turn.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well that was brutal.

I'm inclined to give it extra points for that. Normally with these bishoujo shows the girls are treated as these sacred beings immune to serious harm. They get no such special treatment here.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well that was brutal.

I'm inclined to give it extra points for that. Normally with these bishoujo shows the girls are treated as these sacred beings immune to serious harm. They get no such special treatment here.

I agree with that, although I am going to miss the spoiler[three characters] that were lost. Cross Ange is clearly aiming for a "mature audiences" type of venue and hitting it in some ways but not others.

Ange is about 5x more thick headed and self-unaware than I thought she would be. In order for the story to make process the impetus for her to change had to be pretty severe.

One thing I really liked was how they conflicted her desire to escape even to the point of committing suicide against her will to live. And Jiru was actually seeming sympathetic to that! (Wanna do it? Here's how.) We knew how that would turn out but it made her final letting go of her past and willingness to move on seem more real.

What I didn't like was how they eliminated her fantasy sanctuary by declaring that spoiler[her home Misurugi Empire had disappeared]. By doing that it seemed to cheapen her eventual epiphany because clearly there was no longer any idyllic past to get back to. That seemed a bit unnecessary to the story, although it might be interesting later to see how the coup against her parents brought that about.

One surprise for me was how Ange's petition to the authorities actually got transmitted as she asked. This means the base authorities took her seriously at some level. I would have thought they would have been round filed without a second thought. One little mistake they made is the dialog represented them as read and refused, but the envelopes were stamped as if thy were returned unread.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone really sad the spoiler[rapist] bit the dust? I wasn't. That's one thing Ange has done right.

And wow they actually managed work the rape into the episode. I guess fighting for your life to save millions of people is apparently as lewd and barbaric as sexually assaulting someone............ Rolling Eyes
Maybe she got a little Stockholm Syndrome from that scene too? Wink

That and the spoiler[plot device ring] aside I'd say this episode was decent. I did like the flashbacks Ange had kind of making things come full circle that she's been lied to this whole time. But man I'm glad this phase is over. Ange is was not nearly a likeable enough character to drag out her development. I'm a fan of slow paced character development but this is not one of those cases. Ange had almost no changes in her attitude spoiler[until this episode] as everything bad that could have happened to her of course happened in a quick string of events all leading up to this spoiler[180 heel turn] moment. Wink

Yttrbio wrote:

The previews continue to give the "bubbly idol who broke a nail" treatment to the super-heavy stuff in the show, which should be a dissonance I enjoy, but for some reason just rubs me the wrong way.

I really hate that too. It also kind of bothered me in Tokyo Ghoul but at least it didn't joke to much about what happened to the characters and was merely bringing comedy to their various personalities.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Is anyone really sad the spoiler[rapist] bit the dust? I wasn't. That's one thing Ange has done right.

She was spoiler[not perfect, but Zola was deeply cared for by her subordinates, and she cared for them]. As much as you would not spoiler[care for her, she had the experience and skill to lead the other girls, while her replacement seems to not be able to match up]. Despite how spoiler[uncomfortable it would have been to a girl who grew up protected and where girl on girl] was not normal, it was probably spoiler[her dominance that keep everyone following her].

I don't understand how you can see spoiler[her friends break down in anger and think that Ange was justified in getting her killed]? I don't how anyone can say someone should die unless them being alive would likely cause much worse.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She was not perfect, but Zola ...

According to Jiru, Zola's "only flaw" was that she was "impulsive." Lol.

I wonder if something was lost in the translation.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
This series is reminding me a little of HoTD.

It's trashy, but it's trying to be. And it's actually decent quality trash.

I don't think it's essentially trying to send any message or convey any narrative other than being an in-your-face genre piece. In that sense, it isn't really offensive. It just tries to make you uncomfortable.

I'm not at the point where this show's content really bothers me, and unless it goes really south from here, I think I'm going to stick with this show until it ends. But stranger things have happened.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I dug episode 3. I did not expect the spoiler[carnage to continue in that battle. I assumed Coco was going to be the sole sacrifice. It's also kind of surprising that they offed two of the "new, nice young girl" types. And poor horny Zola - we hardly knew ye.]

Like some others, I'm was ready to see spoiler[Ange cut her hair and get down to bidnez. IT'S DRAGON SMASHIN' TIME!!!]

Also, HT - I wouldn't take those stamped letters or the reports of the Empire of Misurugi's demise at face value. Pretty sure that was just an effort to convince Ange that she had no home to go back to so she might has well simmer down and start bitch-slapping some DRAGONs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 28