• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Now that we are all done being excited, does anyone besides me find it annoying that nobody including Ange seems to notice that her ring has some significant effect on the Valkyriss?

I suspect that the robot arm lady knows, there must have been a reason why she gave her back the ring and gave her Villkiss. As for Ange herself, the first time she was crying and wigging out so she wouldn't have noticed.... the second time she was quite busy trying to stay alive... so for now it still is passable that she hasn't noticed, but I don't see that being plausible for much longer.

As for me, now that Ange spoiler[ finally accepted at least 2 maybe 3 of the girls, things should be looking better for her. Although I can't wait to see what Ange may have in store for the 3 stooges back at base.]
Mecha Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Well. Must say episode 5 was amusing, to say the least.

Have to wonder though, what's wrong with Tusk?

He couldn't have been raised by wild beasts because he speaks fluently, uses modern tools, up to and including knowing what a gun is, and dresses normally (not running around nude or wearing a fig leaf). So why didn't he know that taking an unconscious girl, who is a complete stranger, stripping her naked, tying her up, and then going to sleep by her side was a bad idea?

I could see him removing her clothing if she was wounded, and needed medical attention.

I could see him restrain her if he shared the anti-norma prejudice, or she was behaving in a self-destructive fashion, but neither appear to be the case.

Even if he had logical reasons for the first two, why did he think lying in the same bed was the proper thing to do?

Was he raised to believe that if he fishes a girl out of the ocean, she becomes his bride or something? (There ARE cultures that do that.)

Edit: At about nine minutes in, we get sort of an answer. He IS an orphan and his parents used to fly the Vilkiss when he was a small child, but still, why did he not know his behavior was wrong?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Actually we don't know that his mother used to pilot the Vilkis. The flashback only shows a younger Tusk by his dead mother and Jill walking towards them (without her right arm) and the Villkis in flames behind her. So the mecha could just as easily belonged to Jill.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Mecha Hunter wrote:

Even if he had logical reasons for the first two, why did he think lying in the same bed was the proper thing to do?

As I said before, it's common knowledge that to warm some one up you're supposed to strip and share body heat directly. The ocean isn't exactly the warmest of places.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
[quote="Vaisaga"]
Mecha Hunter wrote:
The ocean isn't exactly the warmest of places.

Tropical islands are. Lie her down in the sun maybe? No hypothermia there I guarantee. Then build a fire at night.

The good thing about Task is that although he is really too nice a guy to do anything really naughty to Ange he still manages to convey his natural attraction to her through teasing and some direct statements. And he notices her looking at him naked and doesn't cover up.

He is willing to apologize for some of his actions and blunders but he doesn't apologize for being a male and doesn't try to pretend that sex is the most impossible and horrible thing that anyone could possibly think about so how she could possibly accuse him of thinking that? That's the usual male romantic interest we get in these types of anime and it is a relief to see Tusk as being different.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Mecha Hunter wrote:

As I said before, it's common knowledge that to warm some one up you're supposed to strip and share body heat directly. The ocean isn't exactly the warmest of places.

Fukuda being the otaku that he is just got himself inspired by Lady Georgie, a shojo cult classic whose anime version is great (and very very naughty). Now in Lady Georgie, she is naked and his "brother" is also naked. They share body heat. In tusk's case well he wasn't really naked now was he ? He had his pants on. So as far as body heating goes in this case it's quite inefficient. I guess Fukuda was just toying with us.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
The way the attraction went about was well done. It did not feel like the relationship they were building was made from the usual embarrassment and accidents, he conveyed his feelings more earnestly than one would expect.

Maybe I am being an M, but I need him back, I was getting used to fighting leatherhead over opinions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Yes, Ange has well and truly become a great main character. This episode had her spoiler[refusing the luxuries that she wanted when she first came]. The mspoiler[aid, Momoka, had a lot of the expectations Ange had at first], and we could get a clear picture of how she has changed. This was handled humorously at times, yet insightfull, and the spoiler[threat that she would be done away with was not done too dramatically]. And how it was dealt with in the end with spoiler[Ange not trying to buy a luxurie, but help her friend], has been another great turn.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 6Yes, Ange has well and truly become a great main character.

And so misogynistic. Really. Just read around the web it is well established.

Best line: "The Director believes that it is all good, as long as there is a bathing scene with nudity."

What was kind of puzzling is how they didn't follow up on Momoka's news that Misurugi wasn't really destroyed like she was told. Ange truly doesn't seem to care about it anymore.

Where did Momoka get al that crap that Ange didn't want?

I really don't get this relationship between Emma, the human officer and Jill, the Norma commander. In spite of them giving lip service about how subordinate Jill is most of the time Emma acts like it is Jill that is giving the orders and acts like an underling towards her.

Good episode, though.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

And so misogynistic. Really. Just read around the web it is well established.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha oh boy, oh boy. Who gives a crap what the internet thinks. Laughing

Quote:

Best line: "The Director believes that it is all good, as long as there is a bathing scene with nudity."

The preview dialog is always meta. Tongue-in-cheek.
Nothing to have a heart attack over really. Twisted Evil

Quote:

What was kind of puzzling is how they didn't follow up on Momoka's news that Misurugi wasn't really destroyed like she was told. Ange truly doesn't seem to care about it anymore.

Maybe the authors want to distill the information. Why have a story at all if you infodump it all in the first episode ? I'm sure in the next couple of episodes we will learn what happened to the Misurugi Empire.

Quote:

Where did Momoka get al that crap that Ange didn't want?

It's a joke. Joke, joke joke. It's played for laughs. It doesn't matter where she got it, that is not the point of the scenes.

Quote:

I really don't get this relationship between Emma, the human officer and Jill, the Norma commander. In spite of them giving lip service about how subordinate Jill is most of the time Emma acts like it is Jill that is giving the orders and acts like an underling towards her.

Good episode, though.

Emma is the commanding officer, Jill is the second in command. Although Jill has more presence than Emma. Don't mix the two, Emma can get of the rock as she pleases, Jill no, she's living in hell (her words).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

One of the bit plot facts I took notice of this week was that the head Norma spoiler[are aware of Tusk], in fact it sounded like spoiler[he was doing recon for them]. Based off one line I think spoiler[Salia wrote in her log of a future event, it might be that the Norma are planning a fight for freedom, so they are pretending to be obedient].

The episode tackled the fighting inside of the group, and it seems that spoiler[everyone but Hilda has decided to work more as a group and let past anger go]. Perhaps all they needed to do was to ask spoiler[Ange and stop shooting her]. One character even theorised that Ange is trying to spoiler[focus on not letting anyone die].

It did feel like the star of the episode was Salia, and she feels like the easiest to sympathise with. In army anime isn't there often the reveal that one of them spoiler[is into cute stuff like magical girls]? Also noticed that this week the preview was spoiler[done by Salia, complaining about the writers revealing her secret, but the whole thing made her probably much more liked].

The end of the episode seemed a little heavy that something spoiler[was happening with Ange's sister], but it looked like next week will be more of a rest week with comedy instead of drama. Really it feels like nothing too dramatic has happened in a while so they have to be planning something. Do we know how many episodes there are, so far I am enjoying this quite a bit and am hoping for a big story?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

One of the bit plot facts I took notice of this week was that the head Norma spoiler[are aware of Tusk], in fact it sounded like spoiler[he was doing recon for them]. Based off one line I think spoiler[Salia wrote in her log of a future event, it might be that the Norma are planning a fight for freedom, so they are pretending to be obedient].

The episode tackled the fighting inside of the group, and it seems that spoiler[everyone but Hilda has decided to work more as a group and let past anger go]. Perhaps all they needed to do was to ask spoiler[Ange and stop shooting her]. One character even theorised that Ange is trying to spoiler[focus on not letting anyone die].

It did feel like the star of the episode was Salia, and she feels like the easiest to sympathise with. In army anime isn't there often the reveal that one of them spoiler[is into cute stuff like magical girls]? Also noticed that this week the preview was spoiler[done by Salia, complaining about the writers revealing her secret, but the whole thing made her probably much more liked].

The end of the episode seemed a little heavy that something spoiler[was happening with Ange's sister], but it looked like next week will be more of a rest week with comedy instead of drama. Really it feels like nothing too dramatic has happened in a while so they have to be planning something. Do we know how many episodes there are, so far I am enjoying this quite a bit and am hoping for a big story?

As far as I know, this is a two-season series, so between 24 to 26 episodes.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
13 episodes wouldn't have done justice to this series.
I hope they do a second 25 episode season. Watching the adventures of these gals is just too entertaining. I want mooooooooooore. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

And then spoiler[Ange escapes]. Not really the rest episode I quite expected, while characters are spoiler[having fun Ange is worried about her sister]. Seeing her spoiler[guilt over her paralysis] was a good addition.

Kind of surprise twist was when Ange sees that spoiler[Hilda really is just a girl who wants to go back to her mother]. But I really don't think there is going to be a happy ending there, spoiler[Hilda will probably find herself betrayed]. There is probably some irony there as she spoiler[might have betrayed the girls who trusted her].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Except for the last few minutes it is hard to know what to make of Episode 8. For a mid-season fan service episode it was rather restrained compared to what we know they are willing to do.

Ange has graduated from princess to boss. That is pretty well demonstrated.

Mimosa can't use LoM to defend against spoiler[Hilda's bullet]?

So Hilda has been spoiler[faking her orgasms all this time?] It looks like she wasn't all that fond of Zola after all. Yet it seems that Chris actually has genuine feelings for Hilda.

I am willing to nominate Emma is the most useless officer in charge of anything in anime for quite a while. Any seconds?

You have to wonder if they will show the disappearing swimsuit competition in the BD release.

Did anyone else find the little scene with the two girls trying to make out on the flight deck a bit cute and sad at the same time? You have to wonder if they are really gay or just being forced that way from being isolated from males their whole lives. They probably never did anything wrong to deserve that situation.

Personally, I liked seeing Hilda and Ange spoiler[reconciled to some degree.] At least they spoiler[parted ways on reasonable terms.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 28