• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14

So Ange spoiler[wanted the D], which was good news for spoiler[Tusk], but he wasspoiler[ blocked and she is about to meet her soul mate]. I liked how the preview had him spoiler[wondering if he was getting a harem], as usual playing with themes kind of out of character yet relevant.

So the reason they were being called spoiler[False Citizens is not because they are fake, but that they are citizens of the fake world]?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so close. Sunrise almost spoiler[had a sexual encounter that wasn't presented as a horrible tragedy (and it only took an apocalypse to make it possible), but dragoncockblock!]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I was bitterly disappointed that there was nospoiler[ de rigeur Tusk faceplant in Ange-vage, but then the show came through and gave us some flashbacks.] Eh, better than nothing.

Interesting. Still not sure if spoiler[they are in the future of their own timeline or an alternate version of their world,] but I guess that will become clearer.

And as has already been pointed out, Tusk spoiler[came so close to finally getting to use his tusk on Ange, but...]
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was bitterly disappointed that there was nospoiler[ de rigeur Tusk faceplant in Ange-vage...]

But there was. She even commented on it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Interesting. Still not sure if spoiler[they are in the future of their own timeline or an alternate version of their world,] but I guess that will become clearer.

I'm pretty much going with it being that the spoiler["True World" that is mentioned at the end of the episode is actually our world since the city that they're in is Tokyo, making Ange's world an alternate version of our own.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
IMO, this show does *so much better* when they aren't shoving "fan service" (I put it in quotes for a reason) down our throats. And the Ange-Tusk relationship seems to basically symbolize this by how forced it was... about as far from a naturally developing relationship as I've seen in an anime. I can't take it seriously.

However, the storyline is interesting, and I do like Ange... most of the time (though this episode she seemed intent on being Mindboggling Stupid, which I thought was out-of-character for her).

As to where they are: spoiler[alternate worlds is almost certainly what's going on. I'm guessing there are at least 3 of them -- Ange's, the DRAGONs, and this last one -- and probably wherever Embryio came from. I think it's possible that Embryio has instigated the whole resonance thing and that's what has allowed the alternate dimensions to be linked.] Still not sure why the DRAGONs are undertaking countless suicide missions to invade Ange's world, but I'm sure we'll learn about that before long.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I was bitterly disappointed that there was nospoiler[ de rigeur Tusk faceplant in Ange-vage...]

But there was. She even commented on it.

I plead dementia.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Subs aren't out yet but from what I understand: spoiler[They are in the original Earth which ended up splitting into two. Salamandine aka. Sala explains that the men are the big dragons while the little ones are the females who eventually were able to get a humanoid form. Riza the guard captain is a spy sent by the dragon people. The reason they are attacking the new Earth is that Embryo stole their "holy dragon" or something and then developed Mana which utilizes energy from it and they want to get it back because they're world is stagnating or something.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

*clap*
Just wow, they managed to do a reveal that turned everything on its head where we can see a totally different perspective. Within one episode you can suddenly understand the Dragons.

The humans that spoiler[stayed back on the original Earth after the others went to the new Earth, evolved into a Dragon like species where the men turn into the giant Dragons, and the women can change between a human shape and the smaller ones we have seen]. The men have spoiler[been fixing their world by breaking down the pollution energy, but the first and greatest male was taken by Embryo so that he can use it as an energy source, which is the origin of mana]. What we have seen has been the spoiler[Dragon people trying to get back their leader, and the Norma have also been forced to kill them to resupply mana].

This totally changes how we might have seen things before now, where the spoiler[Dragons may be the real good guys], and lucky their motives may mix as spoiler[returning Aura should end the whole Norma thing]. Also in episode we hadspoiler[ Ange land in Tusk's crotch] for once, and Vivian spoiler[is actually one of the Dragon people].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Within one episode you can suddenly understand the Dragons.

You and I are quicker about it than Ange. And many of us guessed it would turn out something like this quite a while ago.

Ange acts like a total dick for 2/3rds the episode. At first I was put off by it but thinking back to the early episodes that's pretty much her established personality.

Ange comes around eventually and usually convincingly. It's the best part of her character.

I question whether the Dragons really need to "learn more" about Ange's Earth. After all they were already able to plant a deep agent in bed with Julio -- what do they want to know that she couldn't have revealed?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
@ HaruhiToy : Ange is the pilot of the Vilkiss. And as such an obstacle to the liberation plan of the DRAGONS. So why not kill her immediately ? I supppose Salamandinay could kill her but then what ? There is no guarantee they could go on to lilberate the giant DRAGON especially if they have to fight against Embryo. In this
case it's better to have her as an ally. So how do you do that ? By showing Ange the reality of what is going on. She already has half the story from Jill, now she has the whole picture and can decide freely. As a by product helping the dragon people also helps her own cause (take down mana society).
The dragon people were just waiting for such an occasion, lookig for a norma capable of piloting the Vilkiss and using her to advance their plans.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

Ange is such a brat. But it works for her.

The spoiler[sports competition] thing didn't really work for me. So out of place. But at least it provided an excuse, albeit a lame one, for Ange to spoiler[start to bond] with Salamandinay (it isn't that long a name Ange you brat) at long last.

Tusk didn't spoiler[get any]. No surprise there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

I actually found the spoiler[game battle] to be quite entertaining, and was handled in a quite tongue in cheek way that thought was a bit of a breath of fresh air. I think the series previously tried it during Norma holiday thing, but in that Ange kind of did not much different from usual.

Hands up for who had a major feeling of Symphogear during the climax? It sounded familiar so I looked it up and found that Ange's voice actress, Nana Mizuki played Tsubasa, while Salako voice actress, Yui Horie, played Maria. Fans of that series should recognise them as two that duet, and really reminds me how much I really liked that singing concept, and sent me on a bit of a tangent in listening to some of that series.

Ange has always been rather stubborn, and I think it has really worked in she really does not let herself just get dragged around by everyone else. Sometimes that has made her frustrating, and in others it has made change of heart quite more meaningful. In the episode we also saw that she was thinking for Vivian/Mii showing that her distrust is not purely selfish, she just takes a bit to trust.

And we also see how spoiler[brutal Embryo can be], that spoiler[faze in from another world] looked just creepy. Glad this series is doing so well in my eyes after this point in time.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Hands up for who had a major feeling of Symphogear during the climax? It sounded familiar so I looked it up and found that Ange's voice actress, Nana Mizuki played Tsubasa, while Salako voice actress, Yui Horie, played Maria.

No, Yui played Maria's sister. Maria was voiced by Yoko Hikasa.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
No, Yui played Maria's sister. Maria was voiced by Yoko Hikasa.

I'll be honest, I checked who Serena was by a google image search and then chose to use the name I remembered, she still credit for insert songs. Plus it was like 2 in the morning and I just finished an assignment, and then I got excited about music and now trying to make excuses to not have my anime fan card taken away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 28