• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Trigger (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
A-rank teams have their own rank wars. The teams are just like the B-rank teams, membership of a given team is something the team members decide. Individuals also have their own rankings based on points from the 1v1 rank wars. The solo rankings have rankings for both overall, and for position. So Tachikawa is the #1 attacker, and the #1 overall at Border, while Ninomiya is the #1 shooter, and the #2 overall at Border.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 71:

Not bad. A rather talky episode of buildup but I liked the characterization and dynamics focused on Hyuse, a character that I find to be quite mysterious.

It's also nice to see more highlight on Chika as well.
But since the show is going to end soon, this will feel more like a teaser for the arc. (assuming it ends rather than changing time slot)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well now I don't think I get Chika's problem at all. I don't see why it would be any easier to shoot people in "paintball" mode than in "bailout" mode. To me they both seem equally like shooting people without harming them. Even if she does get to be able to shoot in the rank wars, shooting an actual person to actually kill them is a whole 'nother issue entirely, so other than mass destruction of things, she won't be much good on an away mission anyway.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Had a guest over, so I just got caught up WT from the 3 episodes I was behind.

As for Chika's bailing out, I thought it was obvious. She's not particularly athletic, and it's obvious at least what direction she is coming from. Without the use of optional triggers, she can't move far enough, fast enough, to get away from pursuers. So they have her bail out, so that no one can get a point from her.

Yes, it's something they need to look at (especially in a serious combat situation, or an away mission where [presumably] bailing out isn't an option), but for the purpose of the Rank Wars, after she's revealed her location, it's better for her to bail out than for them to lose a point.

Now, as for her inability to shoot in combat situations vs. training... The training is likened to paintball. No one gets hurt (theoretically) in paintball (especially as their marks seem to be painless). In a combat situation, even though they have their Trion bodies, it still at least looks painful, and looks like you're killing someone. That's a big gap to get across mentally.

I'd compare it to, assuming one was physically fit and had the appropriate knowledge, of course, a martial arts sparring match, vs a street brawl where it's kill-or-be-killed. It's one thing to have the know-how and the ability, it's another to actually do it (whether real or simulated).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 72:

A lot of info dump thsis week with a setting for the next episode with that cliffhanger. I'm wondering how much more they plan to cover in this arc but we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Good to see Chika make some progress toward usefulness.

The bit about Hyuse's terrible burden was delightful. I really sympathize with him now. Laughing What's really funny is that somehow I hadn't even registered his horns until they brought them up this episode. Too used to them hiding under his hoodie I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The bit about Hyuse's terrible burden was delightful. I really sympathize with him now.

Really? Like we are supposed to be upset that the country will use its own citizen as fuel for their world rather than an innocent bystander who did nothing wrong from somewhere else? He would try to use Chika for that purpose, for their own benefit. A presumably older guy over a fairly young teenager, just because he is supposedly nice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Um, I was talking about him not being able to sleep on his back or side because of his horns. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Um, I was talking about him not being able to sleep on his back or side because of his horns. Smile

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
.... I guess that makes sense, and I would not say I am against feeling sympathy for that. It was nice that they brought it up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 73 (finale):

Hmm that was a weird ending.

I mean it seems like a decent conclusion but there could be still a lot to expand with everything that has happened. And it didn't surprise me that Yuuma declined the offer. Pretty classic of him. Anyways yeah....not sure how I feel about the conclusion of the show. I liked how they adapted important parts of the manga though.

Hopefully the show returns someday. I'll look forward to that someday, if it returns.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 73 (finale)

Well at the very least this end made me want to know what happens next, which I guess is okay if they want a sequel. The ending has had Chika and Osamu pick up strategies/weapons tailored to their traits, and an impending invasion. I have not really been much of a fan of this show, but this did get my interest piqued.

Really World Trigger has a number of problems, some of which is probably mostly to more serious viewers as I am pretty sure this is for younger teens. The lack of a traditional OP and ED has been an interesting inclusion, where instead you get a single song piece somewhere in the episode often breaking part A and B. Although it has also meant for rather lengthy recaps, which I might guess could be tailored to help a younger audience keep up if they missed an episode, or maybe even suddenly starting. I have done a fair share of complaining about several things during the show that kind of annoyed me, but it was not too bad.

For this episode when they talked about the "spider" wire technique and how many would still see it, I logically arrived quickly that they were meaning that distracting concentration for another attack was exactly what it could be used for, and I was happy that it was exactly what the show was saying. There was logic in a lot of what the show did, even if it had to painfully explain it, making some of the characters come off not as bright as you would hope.

Rating the series, I will go with So-so (5/10), despite following it all the way through it largely did not catch my attention, but I do feel interested in seeing more I guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure which episode they were going to end on, but as soon as it started right in without 5 minutes of recap, I knew this was it. Let's hope all the good little Japanese boys and girls write in to tell them to make more! Smile Cute exit sketch for once.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The anime definitely suffered in that there wasn't enough manga to keep it going at a decent pace. I just read volume 9 tonight, and the mangaka referenced a color spread that was done to celebrate the anime. For reference, volume 9 ends with 7 seconds until the crossroads during the Invasion Arc.

Discounting the filler arc, the Invasion Arc was definitely the weakest. In the manga, the pacing is much better, and it doesn't feel like it's taking forever. I think, had they put a bit more character-dedicated original episodes at the beginning and delayed the Invasion Arc a bit, the Invasion Arc would have been greatly improved. Then, having gotten through a major arc, I would have liked to see them take a break. Let the Rank Wars storyarc get further, before starting on it.

Rank Wars wasn't nearly as bad with the too-long recaps at the start of the episodes as the Invasion Arc was. The main problem with it, for me, was the filler arc in the middle. It just didn't feel like it fit, with them going on a training trip in the middle of the Rank Wars. Maybe if they had've put the arc BEFORE the Rank Wars started, it could have worked better.

I do, though, disagree with what Stark700 said, in that I didn't think it was a decent conclusion at all. You have one large battle in progress, and a smaller Rank battle about to start. That's not a good place to leave off as well. Unfortunately, volume 10 (end of the Invasion Arc, I believe, and the start of Rank Wars) is the furthest volume that's solicited on RightStuf, although Wikipedia lists 11 in July and 12 in September. From the chapters listed on Wikipedia, the anime likely ended about the end of volume 14, the most recent volume in Japan. The chapter titles further than that don't give a clear idea on if the new invasion is still ongoing or not. As it stands, though, assuming the volumes continue at a pace of every other month, next January is when the English manga will finally catch up.

(Just FYI, if both the Japanese and US editions keep up at their current paces, the US version will catch up with volume 24, both coming out September 2018)
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
The show returns today, Season 3 already announced and I believe it's going to be a split cour.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
Season 2 (TV 3), Episode 12 (season finale)

Okay, I did not expect that this would be the end of the season, and was extra confused 3 seasons at the start of this topic. So, by ANN Encyclopedia, First season is 48 episodes, the second was 25 episodes, and these make up the 73 Episodes that make the first season on Crunchyroll. The 3rd series in the Encyclopedia is the 2nd season on Crunchyroll, and is only a measly 12 episodes long. The episode on Crunchyroll even said look forward to the 3rd season, which in the Encyclopedia is TV 4, and will start back in October. I never understood episodes 49 to 73 were a second season by ANN's stuff, so I don't have it marked as watched and a rating, since that was like over 5 years ago.

But I was really taken off guard when when this show that went on as long as it did back in the day, suddenly stopped its second season at only 12 episodes. I was familiar with it practically having a snail pace that it went going. I don't know if my tastes changed or I watched far worse and became patience, but I was kind of enjoying this season more than the earlier ones. I don't know if there was a faster pace or something, but I was finding it far more tolerable.

But there are some weird parts, like how it pretty much started right back in the middle of things without explaining after so long, so much so that the actual main characters of the series did not show up for what felt like several episodes. And even then it kind of felt like a lot of transitionary stuff. A few tournament like matches where I think they were adopting the skills they developed last season. It is really weird that this is a stand alone season. I don't know how things are like in Japan, like if this was a show that kept having reruns, so maybe kids were familiar with the plot.

My rating for this season will be Decent (6/10), it wasn't good or anything, but was an easier watch than earlier seasons that I would not say that I lost my time, even if I do want to kind of rate lower for its weird traits like main characters so little in it and is both a weird length and story for a stand alone season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19