• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Wait... The noble commander is injured in the balcony of the house, but they ignore him in the end when he can't escape and go march on to battle. What?

Tigre had a full opening to kill him and shot him in the hand instead, I would have aimed for his completely exposed face
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Your right. We totally need a token helpless love interest for the hero to save right? Nobody said she had to have serious fighting skills. In fact I'm pretty damn sure I said that in my last comment which you seemed to miss.

I think my post made it pretty damned clear that I had read what you wrote (the comment about the lumbering were pretty specifically in response to your post, right?) - hell, I even totally rewrote what I was originally going to post after seeing yours. And I'm pretty sure you're entirely ignoring one of the main points that I made, too (i.e., about there not being time for what you were asking for in the scene). So if I'm "missing" something then I'm not the only one here doing that, friend.

So simmer down.

I ignored that point because it never made sense to me. Why wouldn't they have time for it? This is following the source material isn't it? Unless they skipped something in the adaptation the fault lies within the original source which didn't think of doing anything with the situation AT ALL besides being bland with it. Instead they waste time showing her pointlessly struggling while the psycho attacks her spouting things like "HE'LL NEVER COME TO SAVE YOU!........OH WAIT HE TOTALLY DID!".

So where is all this time they didn't have? They could have easily done something about the situation differently. I really don't get what you mean it wouldn't be practical from a narrative standpoint. It wasn't included because the writer didn't want to include it. Not because of something as silly as time. When your writing a damn book series why the hell would you have to worry about that? You have nothing BUT time!

You have a bunch of badass women in a show with a somewhat badass male. WHY do you need to have a helpless one with no skills other than mindless devotion? There would be nothing wrong with having her have some kind of special skill that could help everyone. It wouldn't be outlandish for the narrative either. Like I said earlier. If a prisoner can walk around enemy territory without ANY supervision I'm pretty sure it would be easy for me to swallow if a maid had some kind of talent despite her position. Not like this world makes much sense anyway. Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
WHY do you need to have a helpless one with no skills other than mindless devotion?

Because people like that exist? Not everyone can be a pro athlete with the body of a super model. In fact, very few people are.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh god Vaisaga.........just.........*sigh*

Please do not play the "realistic" card on me in an anime with such a premise like this. Because what your telling me is that EVERYONE ELSE can be all cool or have some special talent but ALL OF A SUDDEN the writer said "Hey I need a real useless person in my fantasy anime about people who don't exist. This will surely bring a human nature to the table!". You can pull some logic like that in SAO but not here.

That's not how it works. Nobody is asking for her to be OP like everyone else but if she brings NOTHING to the table why is she important to the team? It would be easy enough to write her out of the story that being the case. Since I know she will be a recurring character since she is a love interest (who we all know is going to get shafted) it would be stupid to just make her a mindlessly devoted puppet who can't do anything for herself the rest of the series. I'm hoping that won't happen but my gut is telling me it will.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead, do you at all understand the concept of a "support character?" That's what Titta's raison d'etre is in this series: to be a support (and, okay, a potential love interest, too) to the male lead. Storytelling in general - not just anime! - is replete with characters of that nature. Characters that do what you are asking for in action stories are the exception rather than the rule.

(And I don't see at all why any argument that could be applied in an SAO discussion couldn't be applied here, BTW. This is not one ounce less silly or one ounce more weighty/meaningful in content.)

As for the other stuff you were questioning about, regardless of the way the original writer wrote it, the presentation of a scene (or sequence of scenes) in an anime episode is strictly constrained by the length of the episode. You don't pay attention to that and you get awkward episode breaks. For things to time out right for this episode, they couldn't spare the time to have Threnardier chasing around Titta any more than they did. (Well, okay, they maybe could have shaved four or five seconds off of his spiel when spoiler[he was getting "up close and personal"] but that's about it.) Besides, I've honestly always felt that the toss obstacles in pursuer's path while being chased" scenarios were usually just filler for action scenes anyway. They rarely generate that much tension.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
But she isn't really a support character in the traditional sense. This is a harem. And since it is a harem each girl part of said harem always has a role to play. This has almost always been the case in fantasy action harems. I for one have never seen a useless girl in a show like this nor do i wish to see such a thing here.

And honestly Key how you not see the difference in settings here? Are you actually being serious or just completely trolling me now? SAO only has one fantasy element. VR games. Those things aren't even completely beyond our reach at this very moment in the real world. The way it portrays it's characters and government is realistic in a sense. Bringing up serious matters such as PTSD, losing one's self in a world that doesn't exist and finding ways to overcome personal issues in life. Which is why in that world you could ACTUALLY ARGUE about people being portrayed realistically or not.

But here? I don't see how anyone can make such a silly statement. Do war generals really suddenly fall in love with prisoners and treat them as if they were always part of the group leaving them to do whatever they please with NO SUPERVISION! I'm pretty damn sure that's never happened which is what makes this world far less plausible to be called realistic in any sense. But guess what? It's a fantasy harem world where how realistic it is was never the intention in the first place. Which is why i can ignore that and still like it.

The purpose is to bring characters with interesting/funny personalities and skills together and sometimes give them relatable issues that they have to overcome. This is not something that should only pertain to the main character.

Your last comment still doesn't even address what I was saying. I have a beef with what the original author intended NOT how the anime presented it. I'm not going to blame the anime for something they couldn't do anything about. They animated what was wrote for the most part. And honestly if she had a plan right from the start to "possibly" rid of him (it wouldn't have to work on him but if he was at least somewhat damage and our hero said "oh nice work on wearing him down a bit") would it have taken any longer than the time spent on watching her run away and futility fight? Nope.

You act as if such a concept is IMPOSSIBLE! Well it isn't. Time constraints wouldn't even justify it either. That would mean the staff just wanted to take a giant dump on her character because she wasn't important enough to portray in a positive light.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of realism, there's still this thing called variety. You don't want to have multiple characters with the same attributes or else it'll be hard to tell them apart. So instead of another super powered girl, they went with a normal one whose advantage is knowing the protagonist the longest.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
How would they have the same attributes? Just because a character isn't helpless doesn't make her suddenly TOO similar to the rest of girls. She doesn't have to be OP but giving her a particular skill is apparently asking to much? Ever watch sports anime? Well it's pretty much the same thing here. You have people who are good at one particular thing but aren't necessarily good at everything else. That wouldn't ruin the variety at all. It would keep things balanced. Because now you have a girl who is so far below the bar of the rest of the girls that it almost doesn't make sense for her to be involved in the first place aside from being a love interest. This is a war centric anime. Knowing someone for the longest isn't going to do jack. If anything I'd say she'd be used for emotional support at best if she continues like this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a legit role to me. Also, she could strive to learn how to fight so she can be of better use to Tigre and in the process discover a talent she never knew she had.

As it is I think you're just expecting too much of some maid from the countryside.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Not really. I'm expecting to much from the writing as it would seem. Wink
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Not every anime can be a Game of Thrones.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Never seen or read that series before actually.......(I know I'm a horrible person Crying or Very sad ).
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Never seen or read that series before actually.......(I know I'm a horrible person Crying or Very sad ).

Well if you ever have a lot of free time later on, I recommend you watch it lol. You will probably blow through the 4 seasons in a few days.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I can see where you are coming from leatherhead333, you think that a show that has a lot of strong people should not have one character weakened because it is totally within the narrative to just empower her.

I think that there are different kinds of strength, and if it chooses that route then I will be pretty happy. Thinking of a direct comparison I can think of MAOYU, and who I considered one of the strongest characters in that series, Older Sister Maid. Older Sister Maid could not fight, its not as if being a maid meant her character could not be combat able as I am pretty sure head maid could. Older Sister Maid starts off as pretty much an icon of something to be pitied and perhaps weak. But through the story she shows that true strength does not come from the sword, from the bow, from leading some army or riding dragons. True strength comes from devotion to a cause, to others, and to stand for what you believe, even in the face of something horrible.

Giving power to something that normally would not have it because it looks cool, can be very little other than fanservice. Sometimes showing restraint makes something more than mindless action.
Enternal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Simply put, the time line that Vorn was around Ellen's town was actually about a month. That's removed when it was adapted due to constraints. He does have supervision (Ruric, the bald guy) but he was also specifically given permission to roam as a way to slowly draw him to Ellen's side as he see how they live and how he himself is treated as bowman compared to Brune. Tigre himself wonder that it probably would be much better to live here compared to Brune but it was because of his love and responsibility of Alsace is what still keep him on a "no" to Ellen's offer. This was all removed. Also, Ellen is not in love with Vorn at all. It was explained (anime removed it), she really intends to sell him as a slave if he did not follow her and/or show any potential beyond his bow skills.

Titta is like a foil to the other characters but she does have a role and it implied to be significantly so much later in the novel. Either way, she gives variety to the show since most people in the show are very competent battle-wise and leading wise. She's useless in a sense that she cannot fight like everyone else can nor can she lead. Not going to say anymore since it's beyond the anime at this point.

What the problem is, you expect right away that she will be introduced and shown how very important she is. Why can't they introduce her and then slowly introduce the role she has in the story? It's only the 2nd episode so let see how the story progresses.

EDIT: It feels stupid to say this but, you should probably give the novel a try. You expect a lot from the writing and I think the novel can really do that. The adaptation is pretty much cramming a lot of dense information from 6-7 volumes into only 12/13 episodes. I'm merely using the anime as a complement to the novel which is why I'm enjoying it a lot more than some novel readers. True the show is harem. True it has fanservice. However, it's taking a backseat compared to the core elements of the story which is the politics, the battles, and the interactions of the characters. Unfortunately, I don't think all of them are going to be adapted due to constraints. There's a lot of discussion about the battle ahead when Ellen and Tigre were heading towards Alsace and that includes some strategy and what they're predicting from Zion. All of this was not included.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8