• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
But some of their work was digital right? that's why they got in trouble when their severs crashed. What we usually see her running around with would be things like storyboards and key frames while I imagine in-between animaters is something we have not touched on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
If I recall it was colour data or something they had another studio out in the countryside do for them. In this day and age relying on computers is unavoidable, but so far as the actual animation is concerned, we see it all done by hand rather than done with a tablet.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

MaxSouth wrote:
I have no idea what are you referencing to with this.

This.

well yes that, and all of the sweet stuff that L and the other guy consumed constantly in the show
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Are you sure you have read what you replied to? I have never wrote that perfectionist tendencies are not realistic.

You were saying that them being so expressive and having outburts is unrealistic in a professional setting, right?

Yes, and this has nothing to do with perfectionism, which is totally realistic in not all, but in many productions.

Quote:
They appear to be a relatively small-time studio, so it could be they simply can't afford all the fancy stuff.

True; but I have never wrote that they must have such equipment. I only wrote for those who do not know what types of production processes exist in the field so that viewers would not think what is shown is procedure by default.

Quote:

Thanks; is it a fan-made joke or something? I do not remember if this is real part or not.

Though anyway my hatred towards chemical foods does not come from Death Note.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Quote:

Thanks; is it a fan-made joke or something? I do not remember if this is real part or not.

Though anyway my hatred towards chemical foods does not come from Death Note.

Nope, it's from ep 8.

I figured that since watching fictional characters eating anything that you don't consider healthy drives you nutty, watching L eating nothing but sweets in Death Note must of been torture
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Yes, and this has nothing to do with perfectionism, which is totally realistic in not all, but in many productions.

You're optimism is cute. But professional settings are rarely as professional as you'd think.

MaxSouth wrote:

100% legit.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Another thing I do not like is when main heroines are not only so generic that you have hard time memorizing who is who, but also the fact that, when depicted bare footed/naked, all of them have to have club feet; I could never understand why this medical condition is considered to be sexy in manga/anime (just like backwards, concave eyes in profile views).

Vaisaga wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

You're optimism is cute. But professional settings are rarely as professional as you'd think.

Yes, people do sometimes re-do things because of perfectionism, but I am not that optimistic since I wrote "many", not "all" or even "most".

getchman wrote:
Nope, it's from ep 8.

I figured that since watching fictional characters eating anything that you don't consider healthy drives you nutty, watching L eating nothing but sweets in Death Note must of been torture

Thanks; if it is real, then I have certainly hated that. It is just I have watched this anime too many years ago so I do not remember such minor details.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Yes, people do sometimes re-do things because of perfectionism, but I am not that optimistic since I wrote "many", not "all" or even "most".

I'm not talking about perfectionism, I'm talking about professionalism. The comment of yours I'm addressing is your claim that in reality people working in businesses like this don't have emotional outbursts like the characters are shown having. Because stuff like that happens in workplaces all the time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Another fun episode and I liked the way spoiler[some of the work were animated. Still, a few of those guys are really working like workaholics huh? Maybe a bit of rest could help.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

I wonder what Tarou did now. He tried to call her for help, and it really is his own fault that spoiler[he got hung up on since he seem incapable of getting people to like him].

spoiler[I expected him to say he lost a voice actress and for Aoi to push Shizuka as a last-minute replacement. Didn't turn out that way, but since we still don't know what his problem is, maybe it could happen in the next episode.

Update: I just watched episode five, and that's not the issue.]

I wish Aoi had more of a nose. I don't really like the minimalism of this style of character design. I understand that noses in particular are a problem to draw, but I'd like more than just a small line in the center of the character's face. (On the other hand, I was impressed by how ugly DEEN's noses were in Shion no Ou.)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

I'm not talking about perfectionism, I'm talking about professionalism. The comment of yours I'm addressing is your claim that in reality people working in businesses like this don't have emotional outbursts like the characters are shown having. Because stuff like that happens in workplaces all the time.

Not in Japanese companies; it is rare there.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Not in Japanese companies; it is rare there.

So how many years have you worked for a Japanese company?

Now the real question is why hasn't Tarou gotten his ass fired yet for incompotence.

Loved Aoi's reactions this episode, and it was interesting to see the 2D vs 3D issue being discussed. There was even an Itano stand in!
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this show quite a bit. I haven't seen anything like this since Moyashimon. I'm really a fan of this kind of slice of life, adults living in their own dysfunctional and strikingly realistic work community. (exaggerations like spoiler[locking the director in the closet aside, you can still see how someone in the warden's position would have to be on his ass in a less extreme way])

I liked the way the whole spoiler[CG debate was handled. Endou's opinion that you can't really replicate the artistry of the drawn stuff is just out there, and some people get it and some people don't. It recognizes that there's a place for everything, but also echos the very real fear that someday the last stronghold of drawn animation could someday fall and leave people like Endou in the cold. You can say that the 3D cut gave Endou less work to do, you could even say that "3D can do just about anything 2D can do these days", but all that really ignores the reason Endou got pissed in the first place. Not getting to do a cut like that is depriving him of the reason he wanted to be there in the first place.

It sounds silly, but sometimes you can lose yourself in the commercial nature of the whole thing and forget that animation is art. Is the reason this stuff exists so that it can house a certain kind of internal culture? Is it because animation and voice acting is easier than live action? If that's true, then as CG gets easier, making things look clean and consistent will be easier too and there won't really be a reason to continue with the drawn stuff. But between the Arupin cut and this, it nice to see the show approaching the idea of making anime for it's own sake and really highlighting the ways in which the different media distinguish themselves.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Tarou is an idiot. It was not just a failure of not getting people to like him, but spoiler[making people angry at others]. He did not spoiler[relay at all that the director thought that it was a good chance for Endou to focus on the rest of the episode], and there was no need to spoiler[comment in dismissing the work of Key animation]. And then he tries to spoiler[fix it all by looking for a replacement without talking to the people in charge]. To top it all off the failure of spoiler[communication has meant separate explosion scene art for the episode 9, meaning the ego of even more people is at stake, although perhaps if she stepped in that would not have happened].

Still I am really enjoying this, in fact how the problems play out and the look at the industry are enjoyable. Also quite like that she does spoiler[not let him shove blame onto her, she is not going to be some doormat].
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
and it was interesting to see the 2D vs 3D issue being discussed. There was even an Itano stand in!

The back and forth made it seem like some in the industry truly do favor CG animation over hand-drawn and it's not just a tool of convenience or last resort like we tend to ascribe to their decisions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11