• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

That got chaotic when we got into the politics involved in making the anime. We all remember times where the animation turned out really wrong, perhaps it was rather unfair thinking that blame necessarily was on one group. Extra props for seeing other bits like the VAs too, and an idea of the direction of characters.

So far this is enjoyable for the look into the industry. I imagine that getting this thing done would have been a bit confusing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

A good episode imo involving more animation making. If spoiler[Aoi should learn one thing about animation making, it's that teamwork is essential to get the job done. She just can't do it solo and expect to get the work on time. With that being said, I thought the humor and themes were executed well.]

Looking forward to more animation works from this show!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
As always the jargon flew over my head, and it's a bit of a challenge keeping track of everything, but I think that lends itself to the atmosphere. The most important thing is that Aoi is quite likable and easy to root for. One of the main reasons to stick around.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There are few issues with this anime:

1) authors shortly show few cliche anime girls in the beginning, with the only thing remarkable about them being one of the girls eating doughnuts (which is a disaster for your health, but, as always, consequences are not shown);

2) afterwards, authors swiftly jump to presenting viewers with dozens of characters, most of whose job profiles are not clear for any outsider of the industry. Supposedly, one of those characters is a girl from doughnuts scene but since she was so generic viewers are already not sure who exactly it is, and, frankly, they forget about the beginning (#1) pretty quickly;

3) As result, viewers had no time to become acquainted with heroines, to start care about them. And with immediate avalanche of characters afterwards, viewers might feel overwhelmed. With due effort, it is definitely possible to understand who is who and what the activity is, but it is not start of anything like Bakuman (manga/anime about manga) whose elegance of going from few characters to many and from simple to complex was important for its success;

4) character designs overall are not bad, but the one viewers can easily memorize is of Taoru.

The following comments are not complaints, just necessary notices:

In terms of realism, I have to say that Japanese workers, even in creative fields, are much more restrained with expressing any voice intonations, let alone outbursts of emotions, than this anime shows. So in this regard it is not realistic at all. Of course, hyperbolic voice acting is a tradition for anime (besides, it would be boring to watch otherwise), but viewers who are interested in how things go in reality have to be warned about the difference.

Also, another aspect of this show is not quite realistic. Many studios have partially upgraded to distributed digital document management system, where "document" means anything digital, including drawings and sequences. As result, people do not usually run around with files or race with time in cars from office to free-lance workers and back. People have logins and passwords, sometimes with physical USB keys as additional security measure. Wacom's profession equipment is used. Thus this anime represents more or less classic, traditional approach that few studios still retain, but it is not a modern business process.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
wow, even snacks set you off?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I do agree that the large cast is too much to chew, but really the only character we should care about or recognize at this point is Aoi. Right now it seems that the thrill of this anime is that it's a fairly realistic representation (or atleast it's trying to be) of how anime is made.

This anime seems to work for me to an extent even though I do find it hard to follow. They don't seem to explain anything so I'm sort of hoping that if I continue to watch all this silliness, I'm somehow able to connect all the pieces together at some point and be able to reach a new level of enlightenment.

Now for example I have no idea what the Goth Loli-sama did around half way through the 3rd episode (around 11:50 mark). I feel like I could have appreciated that scene a lot more if I knew what she did and why.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
We have to thank authors that they only show production by one of groups, not all of them. In reality whole thing is even messier than this as usually few groups work simultaneously on different episodes.

getchman wrote:
wow, even snacks set you off?

Yes, chain restaurants' deadly junk food with chemically modified taste and colour. Though doughnuts, even clear of chemicals, are still not healthy food.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In terms of realism, I have to say that Japanese workers, even in creative fields, are much more restrained with expressing any voice intonations, let alone outbursts of emotions, than this anime shows. So in this regard it is not realistic at all.

No not really, the director of this show actually did the things that you call unrealistic quite often ( I am talking about Tsutomu Mizushima ). A couple of episodes of Girls und Panzer were delayed because of his perfectionist tendencies, they didn't look as good as the previous episodes so rather than show them in half-assed state, he chose a more difficult route.
Quote:
Also, another aspect of this show is not quite realistic. Many studios have partially upgraded to distributed digital document management system, where "document" means anything digital, including drawings and sequences. As result, people do not usually run around with files or race with time in cars from office to free-lance workers and back.

A vast majority of people don't animate digitally, what the hell are you talking about.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Yes, chain restaurants' deadly junk food with chemically modified taste and colour. Though doughnuts, even clear of chemicals, are still not healthy food.

Death Note must have broken you
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
In terms of realism, I have to say that Japanese workers, even in creative fields, are much more restrained with expressing any voice intonations, let alone outbursts of emotions, than this anime shows. So in this regard it is not realistic at all.

No not really, the director of this show actually did the things that you call unrealistic quite often ( I am talking about Tsutomu Mizushima ). A couple of episodes of Girls und Panzer were delayed because of his perfectionist tendencies, they didn't look as good as the previous episodes so rather than show them in half-assed state, he chose a more difficult route.

that does sound like a good example of where you could see that there were production problems, but there was a quality that came from it. I can kind of think of the drama that must have come from that one, recap episodes where I think they were kind of saved by explaining in depth things that could have been missed and having the VAs do something. Some characters felt greater expanded on later, GuP had a large cast. And last episodes were delayed for a while, still turned out really good.

Just took a gander at the director's page, apparently two of the episodes he storyboarded in GuP was episode 4 and episode 9, the two episodes that Aoi is working with. Juist a coincidence I am sure.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting show, certainly not character driven though. The only issue I have is that they all get along too well, even the less able staff members are given time and support to get stuff done. This would never happen in a real workplace unless I have just been unlucky with my places of work Confused
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
LOL, spoiler[drunk Shizuka] is awesome. I think she has talents tbh but needs to be more confident in her ability. They should of went with donuts for their friends gathering though. I know I would of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I wonder what Tarou did now. He tried to call her for help, and it really is his own fault that spoiler[he got hung up on since he seem incapable of getting people to like him].
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Are you sure you have read what you replied to? I have never wrote that perfectionist tendencies are not realistic.

Quote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Also, another aspect of this show is not quite realistic. Many studios have partially upgraded to distributed digital document management system, where "document" means anything digital, including drawings and sequences. As result, people do not usually run around with files or race with time in cars from office to free-lance workers and back.

A vast majority of people don't animate digitally, what the hell are you talking about.

What the hell are you talking about?

This is not "vast majority"; look up for Wacom professional equipment for animators (and from other companies), it is in extensive use for many years already. There is whole industry around it.

getchman wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Death Note must have broken you

I have no idea what are you referencing to with this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Are you sure you have read what you replied to? I have never wrote that perfectionist tendencies are not realistic.

You were saying that them being so expressive and having outburts is unrealistic in a professional setting, right?

... Awww, you're so adorable!

MaxSouth wrote:
This is not "vast majority"; look up for Wacom professional equipment for animators (and from other companies), it is in extensive use for many years already. There is whole industry around it.

They appear to be a relatively small-time studio, so it could be they simply can't afford all the fancy stuff.

MaxSouth wrote:
I have no idea what are you referencing to with this.

This.

Anyways, this episode was nice and easy compared to the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11