• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Heh, spoiler[2D vs 3D] is serious business.

Also, the Initial D level driving is quite intense in this show Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Well never would I have expected spoiler[Ideon] to be the answer to all of life's problems Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

The best bits were the karma like chastises against Tarou in people getting angry at him. Followed by the director spoiler[feeling guilty over undeserved praise] and knowing what that spoiler[phone call] was about.

I feel myself enjoying this more and more as it goes on. We don't exactly have a lot of shows like this that are so down to Earth with adults working, and I think it is going very well.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Not in Japanese companies; it is rare there.

So how many years have you worked for a Japanese company?

I have worked not for, but with a Japanese company for many years, and know both Japanese and non-Japanese people who have worked in various companies in Japan, I have many first-hand accounts on how things go in work conditions there.

The answer is absolutely definite. The level of people's self expression that this anime shows is nothing close to reality. But, as I wrote, otherwise it would be boring to watch, so such hyperbole is forgiveable.

Considering what even general public knows about Japanese manners, it is really weird that you went to argue against this point. Is that just for the sake of arguing as process?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
@ MaxSouth

But have you worked in the artistic field where their names are added to the credits, many of the characters are not just having it as an artistic release but they will be known in the industry for what they are involved in. The characters are not trying to appease some foreign company by acting like a Japanese company should, there are a lot of egos.

A lot of the drama has come from the director, but if you have not noticed he handles most things really well with only times he has procrastinated or wanted to redo things, being a focus. It would be true that such acts would not be common place and it is why got strong reactions. The anime's job is to convey the important parts of the story without having it washed away in a sea of nothing happening, this can be from slight exaggerations or making it look like something is happening more often. But it is not making it unrealistic.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I did not work with purely creative companies such as anime production studios, but I know how creative departments of general companies work. Yes, people are more free there, but they do not scream and act like this anime shows.

Thus while things on big scale can be quite realistic, it is not so on low level such as with interactions between the staff. Workers are reserved and composed there most of the time. But, as I wrote before, this hyperbole is forgiveable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Another good episode and spoiler[I really like the focus on the character development along with the work ethnics. No intense driving this episode but we do have a new addition joining their studio.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
One thing you cannot teach is managerial skills. I did not think she dealt with that issue very well, in that situation she should have asked in detail how she deviated from her usual work pattern, go through the specifics and then come to agreed format based upon the time left to the dealine and the number of drawings she had left.

Easy to say in hindsight though. I like a slice of life show that is grounded in realism, even if it is still on the optimistic side.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

At the very least they did not spoiler[give Touru the last episode, heavens know he could not get the director to move into gear]. It feels like the more we go the more chaotic and rough it seems, or maybe it is just letting us see that or understanding it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
So we move from 2D vs 3D to speed vs quality. Always hard to balance both.

Impossible not to feel for Ema here. Being the new girl she's trying way too hard to catch up with the veterans and believes she'll be hated if she fails. I was actually kinda mad at Aoi there for a second when she prevented the old guy from giving her cat drawing tips.

Speaking of Aoi, she's still worried about her future... Though I kinda hope she realises that the position she's in right now is working out pretty well for her. You don't need a super glamourous job in order to be content.

Not much impact regarding the guy who left. His only defining feature was that he's voiced by Kirito.

At any rate, only 7 episodes in and it more than makes up for the meh-ness of Glasslip. Though the series is set for 24 episodes so I wonder what sort of things the rest of the show will have. Will they move onto another production or only work on Exodus? I would find it amusing if it took 24 episodes to tell how to make 13.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope Roboharu becomes a thing, I'd totally watch that
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Really liked the spoiler[perspective of this episode. I think I'm referring to the girls' will to follow their dreams like becoming a passionate writer.]

Also, the spoiler[wide view screenshots are interesting out in the nature. Episode might of been slow imo but was well done with pacing.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 8:

Really liked the spoiler[perspective of this episode. I think I'm referring to the girls' will to follow their dreams like becoming a passionate writer.]

I was specifically fond of the cut ins showing that the sister spoiler[was frustrated with her job, and was kind of avoiding it all by going to Tokyo]. Some good work showing the difference in she was acting.

Also the baking bit was great and the spoiler[imagery connected to the brownies].
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
The show concentrates on little job-related issues and typical career dilemmas, there is not enough of big scale drama, no exciting competitors/villains or anything that would make the show exciting to anyone else other than anime geeks.

In this way, this show is totally different from many anime/mangas that focused professions -- like Bakuman or Yakitate!! Japan or Hikaru's Go, which have much broader appeal.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The show concentrates on little job-related issues and typical career dilemmas, there is not enough of big scale drama, no exciting competitors/villains or anything that would make the show exciting to anyone else other than anime geeks.

Weren't you criticising this show a couple weeks ago for being too fantastic and dramatic instead of realistic?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11